Ok, well I'm just going to take the dog for a walk, then I'll do up the layout for that Fuzz i was telling you about. It uses 3 transistors, one is a silicon NPN, and two are germanium. I've tested a bunch of options, and there is some flexibility. The most preferable combination I seem to get is a high-gain NPN (I'm using a BC550C, but a BC33716 is lower gain and peachy too), and some mid-gain PNPs (hfe of about 150 works very well).

If you know the codes of the transistors you have, I can probably give you some direction.

What's the best stuff to use for lubricating a nut? I put some dunlop ultraglide conditioner on my strings each time I replace them but they still stick at the nut a bit and mess up the tuning if I use the tremolo too much.

I used this at one point. a properly cut nut is much better, but it does make a difference

http://www.bigbends.com/store60/agora.cgi?product=Nut%20Sauce

Not really worth $25 in my opinion, but that's the only one I've tried

also

Q2kCIW7A3Eg

:facemelt:

interesting

2 custom design P90 size pickups for 4-String Lead/Solo Bass - Separate outputs to different effects racks - 1 pickup for the Low E string - 1 for the A, D & G strings with little crosstalk

Makes me wonder if his existing basses are setup in a similar way

edit:

Phill, I found a new avatar for you

Anyone used Graph Tech string saver saddles?

Yeah, but more for looks than anything else :facepalm: I'd only really get them if you actually break your strings often for reasons other than your current saddles being worn/dirty/etc

The only negative thing I have to say is that I split one in half while restringing once.

There are the string saver classics as well, which seem pretty decent. Only tried them on one guitar though.

as for the nut, I prefer the black graph tech ones over any other type, but it'll still need to be properly cut.

Yeah, but more for looks than anything else :facepalm: I'd only really get them if you actually break your strings often for reasons other than your current saddles being worn/dirty/etc

The only negative thing I have to say is that I split one in half while restringing once.

as for the nut, I prefer the black graph tech ones over any other type, but it'll still need to be properly cut.

I bought them partly for the looks too :LOL: How did you manage to split it?

Going to get the black tusq xl nut cut properly when it arrives. After that hopefully the guitar stays in tune better when I go overboard with the tremolo.

I bought them partly for the looks too :LOL: How did you manage to split it?

Going to get the black tusq xl nut cut properly when it arrives. After that hopefully the guitar stays in tune better when I go overboard with the tremolo.

What guitar is it?

And I'm not sure :facepalm: I was stretching the low E after restringing, and it split where the string rests on the saddle. I don't think I stretch them too hard or anything, and never had it happen with any other string saver saddles.

and yeah it should help. the tuning stability with these is great... none of that "pinging" business that other nuts have. They do seem to wear slightly faster, but it seems they last at least five years.

What guitar is it?

And I'm not sure :facepalm: I was stretching the low E after restringing, and it split where the string rests on the saddle. I don't think I stretch them too hard or anything, and never had it happen with any other string saver saddles.

and yeah it should help. the tuning stability with these is great... none of that "pinging" business that other nuts have. They do seem to wear slightly faster, but it seems they last at least five years.

Stratocaster.

I'll try to be careful with the saddles in case that happens to mine. At least the nut isn't expensive to replace if it gets worn a bit quicker.

Apologies for not having the spoiler. I was on my phone and it views at normal size.

I actually saw it here which has a lot of crazy modded pedals

clicked the link and the images are still loading as I type this.

it's not what you think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

also, started working on another fuzz face clone as you might have seen. seems to be going ok so far, assuming I got the tranny orientation correct

:wtf:

Was playing bowed guitar for the first time in about 18 months last night. I'd forgotten how much fun it can be. It's definitely something you get a knack for over time. Somehow I was a lot better than last time I'd tried it. Probably helped that I've got even more pedals now. With two delays and two reverbs all going at the same time, it sounded awesome, haha! It had still been a bit harsh before, and I'd had to try and soften it. Now it sounds great, all with the MB-1 too.

Archived