Is that distortion > filter or is the distortion a result of the filter?

i distorted the guitar with a fuzz face (there are definitely better options than the ff here, it was just what i grabbed first) before the filter for emulating some synthy waves and then fed the filtered signal into an overdrive.

the key is to use a highly resonant filter which creates a noticeable frequency bump along it's sweep and then the overdrive can do some magic to that bump. (not sure if this works all the time, for distorted acid like bass i had to set the resonance fairly low one time) i don't think that the filter was clipped, i fed a cranked (max vol, max fuzz) fuzzface into it but i think that is not strong enough to clip the filter. i gonna use an opamp cleanboost running on +-15V for overdriving the filters.

this is of course not enough for real skrillex action, but i think adding a next filter (which i can't do until i get some more patch cables and maybe a mixer) for vocal formant sweeps can probably get closer.

tl;dr: post filter distortion is the key

interesting. I'm just thinking about how i'd do it in ableton, but that definitely gives me some ideas. I got a plugin that'll do the distortion nicely. ;)

you ever give modding fuzz faces a go? they're dead easy cos they're so responsive, and you can get some great results.

Pear, you're so fuckin' awesome.

Edit: Someone give me a rundown of how feedback loops work, please?

sure, but before I do, this.

2dgjn85.jpg

The easiest way to explain a feedback loop is to consider it in the context of a pedlol. Lets say you have a pedlol feedback loop. It'll have 4 jacks: Input, Output, Send and Return. Lets say you have a delay in the loop (i.e., send > Delay Input > Delay Output > return). What happens is, the signal comes into the feedback loop pedal's input, which sends it into the delay, and back to the input of the feedback loop. So the signal essentially goes:

Delay input > delay output > delay input > delay output etc etc etc. Each time the signal gets to the return, it's also outputted from the feedback loop. That's essentially it.

But wait, you want moars? ok. So lets say we use a pot in the middle of it to limit how much signal actually goes through the feedback loop. Delay is actually a good example to explain this. When the signal keeps looping, your output will feedback into oblivion, but, if we limit how much goes through, you get crazy shit happening, but, each time it's decayed a little, so if you get the balance right, it wont asplode the universe.

Sounds all very interesting right? check out the chkchkboom and utter stutter at http://www.ohnoho.com

I'd recommend Define Tension avatars.

Eh.... I don't really know. It's like asking "Would you recommend the Fuzz Factory?" It's probably not the most useful of fuzz pedals, but a lot of fun. Same goes for the blowing up. It's a lot of fun, but don't expect to get anything other than insane messy boost. But i wouldn't part with mine to easily. A buddy of mine is borrowing it at the moment to record his EP, but I'm getting it back in a few weeks.

edit:

blowing up now comes with a gain hi/gain low switch. :( want the new one!!!

I'd recommend Define Tension avatars.

Eh.... I don't really know. It's like asking "Would you recommend the Fuzz Factory?" It's probably not the most useful of fuzz pedals, but a lot of fun. Same goes for the blowing up. It's a lot of fun, but don't expect to get anything other than insane messy boost. But i wouldn't part with mine to easily. A buddy of mine is borrowing it at the moment to record his EP, but I'm getting it back in a few weeks.

edit:

blowing up now comes with a gain hi/gain low switch. :( want the new one!!!

interesting...how does it work with other pedals?

and is the original one always set on high gain then? :awesome:

as for that status update, I wouldn't be surprised. Shame though, GSK's musical talent is going to waste. he thinks he's playing in a band, but they want him for another reason. :stunned:

Why are we making fun of his band now? From the 30 seconds of video I've watched, they aren't that bad.

i watched one video, and it wasn't really that good. they seem WAY too concerned about their image rather than being good at their instruments.

The easiest way to explain a feedback loop is to consider it in the context of a pedlol. Lets say you have a pedlol feedback loop. It'll have 4 jacks: Input, Output, Send and Return. Lets say you have a delay in the loop (i.e., send > Delay Input > Delay Output > return). What happens is, the signal comes into the feedback loop pedal's input, which sends it into the delay, and back to the input of the feedback loop. So the signal essentially goes:

Delay input > delay output > delay input > delay output etc etc etc. Each time the signal gets to the return, it's also outputted from the feedback loop. That's essentially it.

But wait, you want moars? ok. So lets say we use a pot in the middle of it to limit how much signal actually goes through the feedback loop. Delay is actually a good example to explain this. When the signal keeps looping, your output will feedback into oblivion, but, if we limit how much goes through, you get crazy shit happening, but, each time it's decayed a little, so if you get the balance right, it wont asplode the universe.

Sounds all very interesting right? check out the chkchkboom and utter stutter at http://www.ohnoho.com

Cool. So would you recommend the Baby Utter Stutter, Chk Chk Boom, JHS Feedback Looper, or Death by Audio Total Sonic Annihilation? Probably Ohnoho.

i watched one video, and it wasn't really that good. they seem WAY too concerned about their image rather than being good at their instruments.

Same can be said for most new bands at the moment though. And to be fair to them, they are miles above most of the shite I've seen lately :facepalm:

Also their vocalist has an interesting voice, I quite like it.

interesting...how does it work with other pedals?

and is the original one always set on high gain then? :awesome:

It depends. If you put it before them, they tend to freak out. If you put it after them, they tend to freak out. Did you watch the vidjas on the ohnoho site?

Cool. So would you recommend the Baby Utter Stutter, Chk Chk Boom, JHS Feedback Looper, or Death by Audio Total Sonic Annihilation? Probably Ohnoho.

If you have the mohonies, either of the uttt sttttss would be my first choice, followed closely by the Chk Chk Boom. I made a Chk Chk Boom via the beavis audio guide, and it was pretty fun with a shitty behringer delay in it. Lots of swirly feedback nonsense. The thing is, they kinda fall into the bleep-bleep-bloop silly analog effect categories. They're not practical, but that's not really the point.

If you have the mohonies, either of the uttt sttttss would be my first choice, followed closely by the Chk Chk Boom. I made a Chk Chk Boom via the beavis audio guide, and it was pretty fun with a shitty behringer delay in it. Lots of swirly feedback nonsense. The thing is, they kinda fall into the bleep-bleep-bloop silly analog effect categories. They're not practical, but that's not really the point.

Practicality is way overrated.

So let's talk Utt Stutts - is the full-blown Utter Stutter worth $75 more than the Baby?

Practicality is way overrated.

So let's talk Utt Stutts - is the full-blown Utter Stutter worth $75 more than the Baby?

Personally, because i've a tight budget, I'd be like, giveafuck/10 , but if you need the timing to be precise, then yah, get the full utti stutti

croc finish? that's actually pretty cool... not sure if i like it, but it's certainly unique. wonder how heavy it is.

He did a looot of weight relief on it, to the point I thought it was overkill. But yeah I do sort of like it. Its not really my thing but its interesting. Not keen on the headstock though, which he left practically bare.

Archived