To be honest, no. Yes, its looser than my E standard guitar but I like the looseness. When I hit it the notes slightly bend and its sounds cool at times.

I like being able to bend the strings (which is the reason for the plain 22) but not the pitch bending just by fretting.

I've also just had my amp go dead :\ Not surprisingly (I'm looking at you, Phill) one of the 2 month old JJ power tubes blew. I was in the middle of playing some biffy as well. :) Not impressed, especially since the tired old sovteks I tested it with afterwards sounded LOADS better.

Ha I switched back to my sovteks after that incident and they're still going strong. The JJs were louder and cleaner but the sovteks break up better.

How often do you use that amp? I remember when I was helping you troubleshoot it, and that was years ago! I know you said you were mainly using the THR now

I just gave these JJs a chance because they were recommended for this amp. Never again.

The preamp tubes are ok in some cases, but I'm not using these in the power section where they can cause serious problems. Heard a loud pop and then some humming, so I shut it off right away.

I like being able to bend the strings (which is the reason for the plain 22) but not the pitch bending just by fretting.

I was getting that at first but I trained myself to play lighter on that guitar. Because of that I've gotten way faster in my solos!

How often do you use that amp? I remember when I was helping you troubleshoot it, and that was years ago! I know you said you were mainly using the THR now

I just gave these JJs a chance because they were recommended for this amp. Never again.

The preamp tubes are ok in some cases, but I'm not using these in the power section where they can cause serious problems. Heard a loud pop and then some humming, so I shut it off right away.

It's probably been used twice in the last year. Maybe once!

I was getting that at first but I trained myself to play lighter on that guitar. Because of that I've gotten way faster in my solos!

Maybe it's just me :supersad: I don't think my touch is too heavy, but I could never play a guitar with 10's tuned down to C. Not just because of the fretting thing, but because the tension of the strings was way too low as well. Felt like playing rubber bands or something.

...Which I've never done before, but still

It's probably been used twice in the last year. Maybe once!

But... real tubes!

The THR is cool, even though I think I've damaged the speakers in mine. I'm curious about the THR10X or whatever it's called.

What gauge strings for sxc jazz? Is fender scale length. Tend to have it in either standard, drop d or drop c. Tempted to put 11s on. Good move?

Why is KnT so quiet

Sent from Fabri is a nob

Ernie Ball Slinky Top Heavy Bottom 10-52 are just perfect IMO. Not overly huge, give a great feel and tone from the slightly heavier string. Plus the Heavy Bottom 52s are great when you down tune. I can drop the low E to A for something like citizen erased and it plays beautifully still.

Anyone know how long strings last if the guitar's not being used and is just in its case? I was hoping to avoid putting new ones on my MB before I went away, but I managed to snap the high E yesterday, so gave it a full clean down and new strings and stuff. Just hoping they won't be all completely oxidised when I come back. Managed to make the scratches on the pickups worse too, haha! Got the rest looking nice again though. :)

Anyone know how long strings last if the guitar's not being used and is just in its case? I was hoping to avoid putting new ones on my MB before I went away, but I managed to snap the high E yesterday, so gave it a full clean down and new strings and stuff. Just hoping they won't be all completely oxidised when I come back. Managed to make the scratches on the pickups worse too, haha! Got the rest looking nice again though. :)

I wouldn't say they'd be oxidized or anything when you come back, but I imagine they'll sound a bit dead and need replacing again. It might need a setup by the time you return though, but I guess it depends on the humidity changes and all that (and keep it in its case rather than on a stand). I would consider tuning it down a half step (from standard :ninja: ) since you're not going to be playing it for a while.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that - I don't know if it's better to slacken the strings or if that's then going to screw it up when it's not used to the tension when I end up using it again.

Don't slacken them completely - just down half a step. Remember the truss rod is adjusted to counteract the string tension, so you'd probably want to loosen that as well if it's going to be without strings for nearly a year.

The 1/2 step down tuning is really just incase it decides to go sharp for some reason (many of mine did this last spring). It won't make a massive difference either way.

It's already got the new strings on now so I'll leave them on. I'll see about loosening them slightly before I go though.

The Truss rod is set to handle your strings tension. You really shouldn't need to drop the tuning on it, unless it could be going through a lot of temperature and humidity changes. Usually string tension is reduced so that when traveling with a guitar, there is less tension on the neck in case of an accident, helps reduce the probability of a neck break.

The strings are also effected by the humidity over time, being in a case will help against it as opposed to sitting out in the open. Aren't the cases from Manson an air tight flight style case, if so, even better. Since they are new strings, they wont really have sweat or any of the human factors that cause them to wear faster.

Well he's going to be gone for 11 months, so it will probably see some humidity and temperature changes. And the cases aren't air tight or anything, but I would still keep the guitar in the case rather than outside of it.

Also, I need to learn to stop recording stuff when I'm not completely "there"...this happened last time, and I've just done it again :facepalm:

greenshirtman.jpg

Yeah I always keep the guitar in its case. I'll be gone for a whole year all told. Might have to tune it exactly before I go, and see if it's still exactly in tune when I come back, haha! Humidity and temperature will change a bit through the year but then should be back to the same when I get back. Thanks for the info anyway. I really need to play it again later. Haven't played it the past two days since the string change but I want to give it some more playtime before I go. Just have so much else to be sorting out as well, haha!

Yeah I always keep the guitar in its case. I'll be gone for a whole year all told. Might have to tune it exactly before I go, and see if it's still exactly in tune when I come back, haha! Humidity and temperature will change a bit through the year but then should be back to the same when I get back. Thanks for the info anyway. I really need to play it again later. Haven't played it the past two days since the string change but I want to give it some more playtime before I go. Just have so much else to be sorting out as well, haha!

Yeah that's usually how it is. I'm trying to keep the humidity stable all year round now, as I didn't last winter, and it had a negative effect on a few of my guitars (fretboards shrunk). Had one sorted a while back locally, but on the other one it screwed up the finish, so that had to go back... $600 in shipping :facepalm: Getting the pickups changed out while it's there as well.

And I always keep mine in their cases. After having a guitar get water all over it when a water pipe in the ceiling started leaking, I'm not taking any chances

Fucking ceilings.

I always keep those little silica gel pouches in the case when I'm storing my guitar. They're both in my little practise room (cupboard) now though as I'm actually playing them again.

I have no idea why some manufacturers ship guitars with those in the case. Seems like it would just make the problems worse - I've never had an issue with a guitar being over humidified, but then NY isn't as humid as thailand for example :$

Oh and also, I think I'm going to go with this string gauge for my jazzmaster

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ernie-ball-2208-slinky-nickel-wound-light-electric-guitar-strings

It's a bit heavier than the standard gauge for 11s, but I don't know if I should put 12's on for standard tuning.

Archived