'Dubstep Is New Metal', Say Muse

Marinator

Muse recorded a dubstep track – and maybe two – for upcoming album "The 2nd Law" after seeing leading light Skrillex perform a live show.

And they say the experience proved to them that dubstep is the new heavy metal.

Skrillex previously turned Korn onto the possibilities of the genre, resulting in their album "The Path Of Totality" – although they say their next release will go back to their analogue roots.

Meanwhile, Muse have followed them down the experimental path, which they’ll reveal in "The 2nd Law: Unsustainable", the penultimate track on their next record.

Frontman Matt Bellamy tells NME: "That stuff is capturing the imagination. The moshpit has moved from guitars and gone towards the laptop. With the song we’re trying to see if we can challenge the laptop.

"We created something that's dubsteppy, but we wanted to see if we could do it with real instruments. We wanted to ask, 'Can rock bands compete with what these guys are doing?'"

Drummer Dom Howard reports: "We went to see Skrillex and we went, 'F--k, it's so heavy!' It was like a full metal gig – they had circles of death. People were moshing. I hadn't seen a reaction like that to electronic music before. We took inspiration and came up with 'The 2nd Law: Unsustainable'."

The band add that fans can expect a "jazzy brass number" and some "quite minimal" songs too.

The 13-track album is due out on September 17.

Tracklisting:

01. Supremacy

02. Madness

03. Panic Station

04. Prelude

05. Survival

06. Follow Me

07. Animals

08. Explorers

09. Big Freeze

10. Save Me

11. Liquid State

12. The 2nd Law: Unsustainable

13. The 2nd Law: Isolated System

Source:http:// http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/dubstep_is_new_metal_say_muse.html

the picture they put in the article :facepalm:

So, if they are successful in showing that rock bands can compete with laptops... what would that mean? That dubstep is useless because it hasn't created any new sounds that can't be made with traditional instruments? Or that traditional instruments are useless because they sound just like what comes out of a laptop? Or, d) none of the above ?

"we wanted to see if we could do it with real instruments"

"real instruments"

Really guys?

Oh do we have to turn this into a snobby argument about what classes as a real instrument? It's almost as bad as all the genre arguments. We know what he means

Oh do we have to turn this into a snobby argument about what classes as a real instrument? It's almost as bad as all the genre arguments. We know what he means

I don't know, it's just painful to read. There are people that write for more interesting things on a computer and produce far more interesting results than anything that can be created using a conventional instrument.

You're saying a laptop is an instrument?

"A musical instrument is broadly defined as any device created or adapted for the purpose of making musical sounds."

Yes, I am.

I don't know, it's just painful to read. There are people that write for more interesting things on a computer and produce far more interesting results than anything that can be created using a conventional instrument.

"A musical instrument is broadly defined as any device created or adapted for the purpose of making musical sounds."

Yes, I am.

But computers were not created soley to make music with.

If you want to feel true pain, read the comments on the article. All of them.

There's sounds that most people make with guitars, and there are sounds that Matt makes with guitars. Just like how there are noises that most people make with computers, and then there is the music which Burial, Trent Reznor, Massive Attack and Liam Howlett make.

If this ends up sounding like The Path of Totality, people will die. I despise that album, though Davis' attempts at psycho breakdowns are good for comedy value.

"we wanted to see if we could do it with real instruments"

"real instruments"

Really guys?

I think when people use the term 'real instruments', they mean anything that could have an acoustic version. You don't start playing your acoustic laptop, do you?

Its fair enough really. Muse have shown they aren't scared of using not "real instruments" but they just wanted to try this out.

Archived