What do you think of Madness  

800 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Madness

• It's freaking amazing!
    • Pretty good. Decent pop song.
    • Tolerable, but me-me-me-meh.
    • I feel ill. Make it go away.

Surprisingly this is the song that got most of my friends into Muse. It's been months since the song's out, yet there are still people who are just discovering the awesomeness of Muse through this song. I've let them listen to some of Muse's better records though (the Origin of Symmetry album for example), but they still call Madness their favorite. I mean, I love this song, but it's certainly not Muse's best.

What say you, should I get new friends? :LOL:

• 1 month later...

GAH! Why, oh why, did they put that god-awful solo in Madness? :'(. It ruins the aesthetic of the whole song which is otherwise ace.

The last 1m 30s of Madness is probably the best slice of pop Muse have ever produced. I get the chills everytime I heard that last chorus and outro.

GAH! Why, oh why, did they put that god-awful solo in Madness? :'(. It ruins the aesthetic of the whole song which is otherwise ace.

The last 1m 30s of Madness is probably the best slice of pop Muse have ever produced. I get the chills everytime I heard that last chorus and outro.

No, it is a perfect accent and leads tho the "second" part of the song.

But I agree it was abit of a :wtf: moment, when I heard the song for the first time.

And: :yesey:

The solo is really the only thing holding this song back from greatness. Would have been amazing if it wasn't as OTT, but instead something more mellow and atmospheric.

Yeah, I don't actually mind the solo that much but I've always thought that it would've been better with some kind of middle eight or something instead.

There's a good side?

Yes quite.

Explorers is very Queen-ish. I know people don't like it (not because of the style of the song though) but stylistically it's something that could come right out of A Day at the Races.

Queen II styled stuff mixed subtly with Muse could be cool.

Actually that could probably describe some of their earlier Queen-ish tracks.

Exactly. Queen II - Sheer Heart Attack - A Night at the Opera - A Day at the Races is some fantastic stuff.

I just came back here to say that I think Madness might be Muse's best work ever. The song is brilliant, and the performance on the Jonathan Ross show is haunting.

I feel kind of cheated now, since I expect all the other songs to be as good as it. :p Guess that's not too bad. The way this song slowly builds up and unleashes awesomeity is just... oh, I love it so much. I understand that Matt's proudest of this.

PS. The song sounds best in headphones.

PPS.

p3bqs.jpg

Such a good climax :happy:

ignore the PwoperPav

Aw man, this is what Madness looks like to me (FLAC):

madness_audiosurf.png

Not as cool to play...

PPS.

Aw man, this is what Madness looks like to me (FLAC):

madness_audiosurf.png

Not as cool to play...

It sounds best in headphones? How strange. :LOL:

And :erm: that's weird. I'll run the FLAC later, and see if it changes for me as well

Purely a subjective thing, isn't it? To me it definitely sounds best on good quality speakers.

EDIT: Oh wait, now I understand...:facepalm:

Now that I started to think about, even though I don't really care for Madness as a song, I have to say it has been mixed and produced very well imo.

And :erm: that's weird. I'll run the FLAC later, and see if it changes for me as well

Maybe I phrased myself awkwardly there. But you get the subtle woo-woo-woo's and whatnot with a pair of good headphones. It sort of disappears a bit on speakers.

Also, I tried the instrumental (mp3) and it looked exactly the same in build-up as the FLAC. :( Is it the CD version you were playing there?

Archived