What do you think of Madness  

800 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Madness

• It's freaking amazing!
    • Pretty good. Decent pop song.
    • Tolerable, but me-me-me-meh.
    • I feel ill. Make it go away.

Stammering does NOT make it catchy.

It kind of does though. A hook doesn't have to be a riff or a melody. There are other examples of similar stammering being a hook. Ma-ma-ma in Ma Baker by Boney M/Poker Face by Gaga for example. It's often not the only hook, but it's a hook nonetheless.

Edited by sade

It kind of does though. A hook doesn't have to be a riff or melody. There other examples of a similar stammering being a hook. Ma-ma-ma in Ma Baker by Boney M/Poker Face by Gaga for example. It often not the only hook, but it's a hook nonetheless.
that's stammering that's catchy though. Adding stammer to a line isn't a magical way to make something catchy.

that's stammering that's catchy though. Adding stammer to a line isn't a magical way to make something catchy.

Didn't say it was. But Madness' stammering is catchy, to me at least. It's been stuck at the back of my head for days now.

Edited by sade

Didn't say it was. But Madness' stammering is catchy, to me at least. It's been stuck at the back of my head for days now.

But it's not catchy because it's stammering. It's just something catchy that happens to be stammering.

But it's not catchy because it's stammering. It's just something catchy that happens to be stammering.

Not for me. What me and my friends did all weekend would take any random word that would come up in a conversation and fit it into the Madness formula and melody - e.g."ha-ha-ha-happiness" (but with Finnish words,obviously).The stammering was a part of the hook then.

Yeah, sounds lame, it was funny when drunk though.

Edited by sade

Stil better than some of the TR singles... they hit the 50s or JUST scraped into the top 50 :chuckle:. Considering it was hardly promoted until its actual release date, it's not too bad of a chart position. I don't think they even care that much. Anyways, I'm still a bit pissed off that there was no physical release. I like the colour scheme of this album era and the Madness cover would have looked good in a cardsleeve or case.

^ Yeah but it's the worst lead single since Muscle Museum chart-wise (and no counting Stockholm Syndrome) and that's not counting the Muscle Museum re-release which got to 25.

That chart position is sort of so awful it's funny. What has gone so spectacularly wrong? Madness isn't even a bad song. And Survival did better!

Maybe it's a grower but it'd be the first ever Muse song to move up in the charts like that.

It's strange also because the song received a big amount of positive reviews. I don't care much about charts though :chuckle:

Judging from the people who like the song, I'd say it seems to be a slow grower that didn't get good for a lot of people until the 20-30th listen.

That's not really a good trait for a single.

That chart position is sort of so awful it's funny. What has gone so spectacularly wrong? Madness isn't even a bad song. And Survival did better!

Maybe it's a grower but it'd be the first ever Muse song to move up in the charts like that.

It's strange also because the song received a big amount of positive reviews. I don't care much about charts though :chuckle:

Did Uprising get a boost when the physical edition/music video went out?

Edit: Shouldn't they have timed things better to have the music video out at the same time?

Edit: Shouldn't they have timed things better to have the music video out at the same time?

Don't know.

Agreed. Especially because the video looks kinda cool and has a lot of work around it.

Look, Zane Lowe then single sale after only works if it's not a lead single. There was literally no public build-up/promo or even much warning. The fact it doesn't have a music video yet doesn't help.

Warner don't really care for singles any more which is stupid (on business terms). If Madness got on the iTunes top 10 the publicity it gets goes up tenfold and then the publicity work does itself: radio plays go up, music channel plays go up.

It's just not been very well done (see Coldplay's lead single promotion's for examples of how to get chart success). If Warner don't necessarily want chart success, fair enough.

Meh, the band doesn't make that much money out of singles and albums anymore. It's all about concerts.

Yes. It debuted at 53 and got to number 9 after the physical release. The fan base shouldn't be underestimated. If everyone buys a DVD, CD and a vinyl then that can really get the singles up into the top 20.

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/_/muse/

I thought it was all about releasing singles and albums were on the way out. I would like to see some hard numbers on this rather than people just saying things.

It's just not been very well done (see Coldplay's lead single promotion's for examples of how to get chart success). If Warner don't necessarily want chart success, fair enough.

What did Coldplay do that was different?

What did Coldplay do that was different?

Adverts, plenty of pre-release radio play, releasing the video before officially releasing the single

Meh, the band doesn't make that much money out of singles and albums anymore. It's all about concerts.

That's ridiculous. The record label will give Muse X amount with bonuses on sales figures. The amount of pyro/size of venues/satellites/screens etc.. that Muse use for each of their live shows will hardly outweigh £X+

Yes. It debuted at 53 and got to number 9 after the physical release. The fan base shouldn't be underestimated. If everyone buys a DVD, CD and a vinyl then that can really get the singles up into the top 20.

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/_/muse/

I thought it was all about releasing singles and albums were on the way out. I would like to see some hard numbers on this rather than people just saying things.

I tried to buy the single but it wouldn't let me so it's Muse's fault.

Wow, Survival hit 22. Not bad.

Never knew SMBH was their biggest hit.