What do you think of Madness  

800 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Madness

• It's freaking amazing!
    • Pretty good. Decent pop song.
    • Tolerable, but me-me-me-meh.
    • I feel ill. Make it go away.

That's harsh. Not one of them is shit, one of them is shit-ish.

My ears nearly bleed when I try to listen to any of them. I even tried to listen to them in an open-minded way, but it is impossible to me to like any of these songs.

Since when muse songs aren't shit?

Good question.

Guest bellamylookalike

Also:

Does sound very Grace like that intro doesn't it. Although that was Gary Lucas' work not Jeff's right

Does sound very Grace like that intro doesn't it. Although that was Gary Lucas' work not Jeff's right

Was it? Never heard that.

Doesn't change anything though. Muse still thought they sounded like Buckley when they did it :p (Matt can't possibly have done that without knowing the similarities)

That's because he was bad at it.

Which is why it ended up reminding people of Thom Yorke instead.

Also:

Bad enough, I guess, that it made it okay to me. :LOL:

I never saw the Thom Yorke connection too much, personally, but that could have been the fact I wasn't familiar with anything other than the Bends, and I wasn't fond of them at all.

You can be inspired by things, and still sound like yourself, or your own band. Every band is inspired by something.

You can also easily go overboard, and just sound too much like someone else.

It's a really fine line, but very little is truly original.

My ears nearly bleed when I try to listen to any of them. I even tried to listen to them in an open-minded way, but it is impossible to me to like any of these songs.

What do you mean by "in an open-minded way"? Really don't understand. If you don't like them, you dont like them. Fair enough.

What do you mean by "in an open-minded way"? Really don't understand. If you don't like them, you dont like them. Fair enough.

Well obviously she started off listening to them determined to hate them.

Then she tried again, this time with an open mind.

Guest bellamylookalike
Was it? Never heard that.

Doesn't change anything though. Muse still thought they sounded like Buckley when they did it :p (Matt can't possibly have done that without knowing the similarities)

Yeah, Gary Lucas is killer ;)

Yeah you're right, same goes for Hyper Music/Rage ;) In fact I think this is the most Buckley sounding vocal I've heard from Matt.

Yeah you're right, same goes for Hyper Music/Rage ;) In fact I think this is the most Buckley sounding vocal I've heard from Matt.

That might just be because it's deeper...

I'm not going to lie and say I don't like a certain vocal style, and that may stem from my love of Buckley in my high school years (yeah, I'm that old...) - because looking at the few bands I seriously get into, that lie would be proven very quickly.

But, there's more to it than that, or else I would probably be a huge Radiohead fan, as well, and they irritiate the shit out of me.

It's sad to know that Buckley had such problems with his songwriting in general. If it wasn't for his voice, I certainly wouldn't care for most of the material. But I love him so damn much.

The Hyper Music one can be deliberate without being stolen though. It sounds similar, but technically it's not really a specific enough riff to be called a ripoff.

You would hope... but Matt seems to be the grand master of subliminal plagierism...

Or he knows it and just doesn't care.

Or he knows it and just doesn't care.

I'd actually be fine with that. It's a good attitude to have.

I still respect them for putting out music that they know people are going to hate, or even just that I don't like, as long as it's what they like to make.

Would be happy if they laughed at us a little less for it, though...

:LOL: What were you trying to say then?

I was literally trying to type something about "vocal range" and realized it ended up saying "coke rage" somehow.

I then became completely flustered, lost my train of thought, and immediately edited it to the first, quickest thing I could come up with.

My touch keypad is so tiny and unresponsive it's like it's made for the fingers of a newborn.

Archived