Guitar design ideas please :)

treee

Hi all,

For my year 11 resistant materials final project I have come to the conclusion that I am going to make a guitar!

I have decided that the shape is going to be roughly based on the MB-1 standard, but i'm really un-imaginative and I can't think up any designs. So, if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the inspiration.

Thank you :viking:

Hi all,

For my year 11 resistant materials final project I have come to the conclusion that I am going to make a guitar!

I have decided that the shape is going to be roughly based on the MB-1 standard, but i'm really un-imaginative and I can't think up any designs. So, if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the inspiration.

Surely the point of half of it would be to come up with your own design? :LOL:

But if you're going for the MB-1 as a starting point, use that and then make variations to it, see where it takes you.

Hi all,

OOH OOH I DID THAT HOLD ON LET ME FIND THE PICTURES OF MINE

I am excite

I never finished mine

I still have it in my draw actually

Surely the point of half of it would be to come up with your own design? :LOL:

But if you're going for the MB-1 as a starting point, use that and then make variations to it, see where it takes you.

haha true, I guess its sort of a substitute for the fact that I will not be able to afford a manson for at least the next 5 years :p

TIIRh.jpg

Looking at it in the case it so pretty. Unfortunately deadline was approaching and I rushed some routing, cocked up, and never actually finished it. Could still probably make something of it, but I sold off the bridge and everything and cba

For a guy who could do fuck all in Tech I think it turned out rather decent, shape and all

I want an E Shape now

EDIT: they're the old Reject pickups

This was the final one I got graded for, with a scrap neck I found

26431_377869374315_831938_n.jpg

That looks amazing!! Was it hard to shape the body? Because thats the thing i'm most afraid of

Umm, well I used CNC routing to do the pickups. I then had a paper template of the body that I made from scaling up Simno's (I was basing it all on his xy one). I then drew the shape on the body blank and used a band saw to cut it out. Cutting the shape out was actually quite easy. Cutaways were difficult though. Couldn't do it all on the bandsaw and had to use one of the little ones whatever they're called

Still needs some rounding off and contouring looking at it

Come up with the shape on a piece of MDF or Plywood and use it as a template. Bandsaw close (but not too close) the shape on your body wood, leaving room for the router to be used with the template.

Should work. My bass I'm working on has a slight tear out under the neck join from this method but considering you will still need to perhaps contour it, sand it all and do much more work, not a problem if some tiny tear out happens.

As far as a shape for a guitar. Think Ergonomic. I assume that if you have a similar class to what we have over here, markers will want a well thought out shape. You'll find the MB series won't exactly be fitting that due to their slightly bulky nature (doesn't mean they don't play well). The design should balance well when played both standing and seated, should rest comfortably with your arm and both legs when sitting (depending on the player). The neck shouldn't dive down meaning the body will need some weight. Also your choice of wood doesn't need to be expensive but should be justifiable. Sounds odd but it normally means choosing a native wood that's easily replaced yada yada etc.

Come up with the shape on a piece of MDF or Plywood and use it as a template. Bandsaw close (but not too close) the shape on your body wood, leaving room for the router to be used with the template.

Should work. My bass I'm working on has a slight tear out under the neck join from this method but considering you will still need to perhaps contour it, sand it all and do much more work, not a problem if some tiny tear out happens.

I never made an MDF template, I do wish I did.

I also wish I made a template for the ferrule holes. They turned out naff

Not as naff as Jamie's MoC though

I never made an MDF template, I do wish I did.

I also wish I made a template for the ferrule holes. They turned out naff

Not as naff as Jamie's MoC though

Don't worry. Only reason mine isn't done is I'm fearing making a neck cutout template and a pickup template. Also a cavity template. And a bridge template (but I may leave mine not recessed). Headstock I may freehand cut. :LOL:

The more prep you do before hand, the easier it will be in the long run. ;)

EDIT: Wish I had a CNC machine to do the work too. Aside the body cutting, all of mine was done by hand. Even the cutting of the back of the neck which took HOURS with a hand saw. HOURS!

Don't worry. Only reason mine isn't done is I'm fearing making a neck cutout template and a pickup template. Also a cavity template. And a bridge template (but I may leave mine not recessed). Headstock I may freehand cut. :LOL:

The more prep you do before hand, the easier it will be in the long run. ;)

Yeah I do regret rushing mine :(

The neck in the picture is not good at all. Drew out the headstock and cut it in 5 minutes in a panic. One side of the neck is straight too while the other goes inwards

Forgot to mention. Get this book. Really. It will cover just about everything.

9780953104901.jpg

I have that! Was very handy, get it whoever started this thread that I forgot the name of and am too tired to scroll down to check

No way am I going to be able to stay up for 5am

Archived