Make Predictions Based on Song Titles

Jimmyneutron

Sorry if someone posted this already

http://www.muselive.com/forums.php?m=posts&p=2304942#2304942

Gosh. :chuckle:

I like some of the predictions here. Personally I do think Panic Station is the next SMBH, as much as I originally thought it was a heavy rock song when I saw the title before the BBC interview. :LOL: Madness is probably the song that would start mellow-ish then progresses to end off with a big ending (the one the guys mentioned to be the first single). I'm also judging that based on its position in the album.

Aside from those two, I think The 2nd Law as a whole (as in the last two tracks) would be massive. It would probably draw comparisons to Knights of Cydonia due to it's epic nature. Meanwhile Follow Me will feature an acoustic guitar and soft, mellow vocals from Matt. Bass and drums will be relatively simple, maybe it'd be slightly ambient as well. Animals will feature tablas by Dom. :p And probably some Orwellian reference.

I could imagine Madness being a pretty epic song, very operatic vocals from Matt and stuff. Something along the lines of the second part of Survival (but not as heavy). Just something that came into my head today.

Then again I could also imagine a lot of the songs being something like that.

Supremacy:

A slow, building song heavy on strings. Think this album's Take a Bow.

Madness:

A song with serious groove, driven by Chris' bass.

Panic Station:

This song also has the groove. Brass included. Think Stevie wonder meets electronic. Potential single.

Prelude:

A short string prelude to survival.

Survival:

I'm guessing Queen meets Led Zeppelin.

Follow Me:

Guiding Light Part II, about fatherhood.

Animals

The heaviest song on the album, hard rock with an electronic influence and frenetic drumming and serious riffage.

Explorers

Chris sings on this song, a more subdued number than Animals featuring piano. A relatively simple song.

Big Freeze

The slowest track on The 2nd law

Save Me

A pompous, yet heavy number that goes through a number of different sounds a little under 5 minutes. Also features a choir, also minimally.

Liquid State

Hard electronica, similar in sound to Justice.

The 2nd Law: Unsustainable

What we have heard so far in the trailer - strings heavy, choir - Skrillex/RATM influence.

The 2nd Law: Isolated System

A continuation of the above, a big, electronic rock closer that could replace Knights as a closer at gigs.

Supremacy - I think they'll go back to a more traditional Musey opening track. Uprising was very upfront whereas all their others have been more circumspect building to an epic finale. I can see this being an orchestral buildup, arpeggiated, growing into some huge riffs and crashing drums before ending with a huge bang.

Think: Take A Bow live with the duh-duh-duh-DUH outro.

Madness - Track two. This WILL be a poppier song/single, but given the title, I'm going to take a punt that it will be more in the Hysteria mould. A classic Muse rock single, perhaps, if true, blended with a vibe reminiscent of Bliss.

Think: Hysteria, Bliss, Plug In Baby.

Panic Station - Track three. Again, this WILL be a poppier song/single. We know there's going to be a heavy brass influence but the title leads me to think it's not going to be too lighthearted but instead, quite a dark disco vibe - maybe a bit of Soft Cell/Nine Inch Nails influence. Dirty disco.

Think: Supermassive, Undisclosed Desires, I Belong To You, Uno.

Prelude - No need to elaborate here.

Survival - Nor here.

Follow Me - Definitely a moment where they will take the mood/tempo down a bit following the epicness of Survival. I'm thinking a very sweet/quiet song - either acoustic or piano. A simple homage to something or someone, perhaps Chris's song or the rumoured lullaby.

Think: Soldier's Poem, Unintended, Hate This & I'll Love You, Screenager.

Animals - This is going to be a balls to the wall fucking monster epic. Riffs, pounding drums, huge bass, Matt screaming his heart out, drop-D tuning (or lower), probably utilising a slightly unusual scale and embracing some tribal/eastern vibes.

Think: Stockholm Syndrome, Assassin, Citizen Erased, Darkshines.

Explorers - This is going to be an inquisitive, slightly eerie track. I can feel a bit of U2 slipping in perhaps, mainly in terms of using layered guitars and some synths. Maybe even a whiff of film music about it, arriving in a new scenario/planet and trying to make sense of what's happened.

Think: Sing For Absolution, MK Ultra, Nature_1.

Big Freeze - This either going to be another epic monster or a short instrumental leading into Save Me. I haven't decided yet.

Think: I have no idea. Interlude/Intro or The Gallery or otherwise, Citizen Erased.

Save Me - Straight up pop/rock song with a massive cheesy chorus.

Think: Starlight, Time Is Running Out, Plug In Baby, Resistance.

Liquid State - A darker, brooding track about being in a state of flux and/or uncertainty. I think it will be understated over all but with moments of grandeur scattered among sparse instrumentation, perhaps with some swelling strings thrown in.

Think: The latter half of BH&R - City Of Delusion and Hoodoo in particular and maybe Butterflies & Hurricanes too.

The Second Law: Unsustainable - I think we know roughly where this one is going. Heavy beats, bizarre effects, vocoders, etc. The whole hog.

Think: Supermassive, Undisclosed Desires, Take A Bow, maybe Hyper Music too.

The Second Law: Isolated System - I don't really know what to think here. It's either going to be an epic or an understated/wistful end.

Think: either Redemption and Ruled By Secrecy OR Space Dementia and Knights Of Cydonia.

Singles will be Madness, Panic Station, Save Me and, of course, Survival.

Well...his The Resistance weren't spot on, 50/50 :LOL:

- Uprising is going to kick-ass.

- United States Of Eurasia will be awesome and then Collateral Damage will flatten everything that has gone before it.

- Guiding Light and I Belong To You are gonna suck in the same way that Starlight and Invincible sucked.

- MK UKTRA sounds as if it might be Exo-Politics #2, hence it will be terrible.

- MK UKTRA may also prove to be Muse's most bonkers, rifftastic song of all time.

- The Symphony might not be QUITE as epic as first though.

- Unnatural Selection will be an acoustic number, Screenager-esque.

- Resistance will be the first single and will be a typical 'Muse-by-numbers' angsty rock song.

Supremacy - I think they'll go back to a more traditional Musey opening track. Uprising was very upfront whereas all their others have been more circumspect building to an epic finale. I can see this being an orchestral buildup, arpeggiated, growing into some huge riffs and crashing drums before ending with a huge bang.

Think: Take A Bow live with the duh-duh-duh-DUH outro.

Madness - Track two. This WILL be a poppier song/single, but given the title, I'm going to take a punt that it will be more in the Hysteria mould. A classic Muse rock single, perhaps, if true, blended with a vibe reminiscent of Bliss.

Think: Hysteria, Bliss, Plug In Baby.

Panic Station - Track three. Again, this WILL be a poppier song/single. We know there's going to be a heavy brass influence but the title leads me to think it's not going to be too lighthearted but instead, quite a dark disco vibe - maybe a bit of Soft Cell/Nine Inch Nails influence. Dirty disco.

Think: Supermassive, Undisclosed Desires, I Belong To You, Uno.

Prelude - No need to elaborate here.

Survival - Nor here.

Follow Me - Definitely a moment where they will take the mood/tempo down a bit following the epicness of Survival. I'm thinking a very sweet/quiet song - either acoustic or piano. A simple homage to something or someone, perhaps Chris's song or the rumoured lullaby.

Think: Soldier's Poem, Unintended, Hate This & I'll Love You, Screenager.

Animals - This is going to be a balls to the wall fucking monster epic. Riffs, pounding drums, huge bass, Matt screaming his heart out, drop-D tuning (or lower), probably utilising a slightly unusual scale and embracing some tribal/eastern vibes.

Think: Stockholm Syndrome, Assassin, Citizen Erased, Darkshines.

Explorers - This is going to be an inquisitive, slightly eerie track. I can feel a bit of U2 slipping in perhaps, mainly in terms of using layered guitars and some synths. Maybe even a whiff of film music about it, arriving in a new scenario/planet and trying to make sense of what's happened.

Think: Sing For Absolution, MK Ultra, Nature_1.

Big Freeze - This either going to be another epic monster or a short instrumental leading into Save Me. I haven't decided yet.

Think: I have no idea. Interlude/Intro or The Gallery or otherwise, Citizen Erased.

Save Me - Straight up pop/rock song with a massive cheesy chorus.

Think: Starlight, Time Is Running Out, Plug In Baby, Resistance.

Liquid State - A darker, brooding track about being in a state of flux and/or uncertainty. I think it will be understated over all but with moments of grandeur scattered among sparse instrumentation, perhaps with some swelling strings thrown in.

Think: The latter half of BH&R - City Of Delusion and Hoodoo in particular and maybe Butterflies & Hurricanes too.

The Second Law: Unsustainable - I think we know roughly where this one is going. Heavy beats, bizarre effects, vocoders, etc. The whole hog.

Think: Supermassive, Undisclosed Desires, Take A Bow, maybe Hyper Music too.

The Second Law: Isolated System - I don't really know what to think here. It's either going to be an epic or an understated/wistful end.

Think: either Redemption and Ruled By Secrecy OR Space Dementia and Knights Of Cydonia.

Singles will be Madness, Panic Station, Save Me and, of course, Survival.

This seems the most likely.

Well we won't know till September, will we?

Yes, I know that any predictions made on basis of the song titles are rubbish and uninformed.

How many times have you looked at an album's tracklist and thought "YES! I makes perfect sense that THAT song should sound exactly like THAT because it has THAT title! I knew it before even listening to it!"?

Yes, I know that any predictions made on basis of the song titles are rubbish and uninformed.

How many times have you looked at an album's tracklist and thought "YES! I makes perfect sense that THAT song should sound exactly like THAT because it has THAT title! I knew it before even listening to it!"?

Not often, I'll admit. Meh, this is really just a bit of fun. More of a wish list for most then anything.

S'bit of fun bro', chillax.

I think it's a fun game. A lot of Muse song titles betray their nature. Dead Star, Citizen Erased, Apocalypse Please, etc. could very well be guessed to be the negative songs they are. And similarly we all could guess that Starlight, Guiding Light, Invincible and I Belong To You were all not going to be angst ridden, epic songs.

Hey hey! I was pretty good on Uprising, Guiding Light, MK Ultra and Exogenesis - maybe less so on Unnatural Selection :LOL:.

Definitely yeah :LOL: And I guess Collateral Damage did flatten everything, just, in a rather weird way.

I think it's a fun game. A lot of Muse song titles betray their nature. Dead Star, Citizen Erased, Apocalypse Please, etc. could very well be guessed to be the negative songs they are. And similarly we all could guess that Starlight, Guiding Light, Invincible and I Belong To You were all not going to be angst ridden, epic songs.

I think this logic is one of the reasons I'm excited for TSL. There's no titles there that immediately fill me with dread :LOL:.

I think this logic is one of the reasons I'm excited for TSL. There's no titles there that immediately fill me with dread :LOL:.

You have a good point there.

Invincible, Starlight, I Belong to You, Guiding Light and Neutron Star Collision have a whiff of cheese in the names themselves.

Madness, Supremacy, Animals and Panic Station...they just sound epic.

I could be wrong though.

Archived