Oh my god you're going in circles :LOL: pop doesn't have to be bad. Some of the greatest artists have been pop (The Beatles, Queen, etc.) it doesn't mean it is selling out, it doesn't mean the music can't be challenging, it just means it has a poppy convention to it. Not every Muse song is pop, but c'mon, with singles like Bliss, TiRO, SMBH, Resistance, etc, I wouldn't exactly call them inaccessible. Yes, they're a rock band, but does that mean they aren't pop? It's a pretty broad term.

Oh, and as a disclaimer, if this makes no sense, sorry, I'm really tired :LOL:

Oh my god you're going in circles :LOL: pop doesn't have to be bad. Some of the greatest artists have been pop (The Beatles, Queen, etc.) it doesn't mean it is selling out, it doesn't mean the music can't be challenging, it just means it has a poppy convention to it. Not every Muse song is pop, but c'mon, with singles like Bliss, TiRO, SMBH, Resistance, etc, I wouldn't exactly call them inaccessible. Yes, they're a rock band, but does that mean they aren't pop? It's a pretty broad term.

Oh, and as a disclaimer, if this makes no sense, sorry, I'm really tired :LOL:

It does make sense but again I am not calling pop music bad, I love some great pop music, and again , if pop = popular, then yeah, you could call Muse pop. But if pop means artists like Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars etc. then I don't see Muse there, stylistically. That is why I used the term "mainstream" to describe them.

And the "they still have guitars and stuff" was clearly a joke to begin with.

It does make sense but again I am not calling pop music bad, I love some great pop music, and again , if pop = popular, then yeah, you could call Muse pop. But if pop means artists like Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars etc. then I don't see Muse there, stylistically. That is why I used the term "mainstream" to describe them.

And the "they still have guitars and stuff" was clearly a joke to begin with.

Well obviously if that's all you would consider pop muse DON'T fit there, but alas that is not so.

But if pop means artists like Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars etc. then I don't see Muse there, stylistically.
Pop doesn't mean any artists. Pop is a genre, and it's defined by catchy, easy-listened tunes that are popular on the radio and use a standard 3-4 minute verse-chorus-verse buildup.

And it IS possible to be both rock and pop.

If you are to trust wikipedia, pop derived from rocknroll.

Archived