What kind of music video for Survival?

holdenc

I really love the song and all, but together with the video...it sucked. I almost fell off my chair when it got to the heavier rock section with matt singing "race, it's a race" and there was a fucking horse jumping around. I still think the song is awesome and it really kicks ass, it just...doesn't suit the Olympics. not one bit.

I really love the song and all, but together with the video...it sucked. I almost fell off my chair when it got to the heavier rock section with matt singing "race, it's a race" and there was a fucking horse jumping around. I still think the song is awesome and it really kicks ass, it just...doesn't suit the Olympics. not one bit.

:noey:

you know, if you disagree, you might care to explain your point a bit further than posting a smily...

Ok.

My point is that the song works very good on his own, but it's amazing with the video. It's intended to be made for the Olympics and the BBC montage shows "its true potential".

The beginning, especially, perfectly conveys the sense of the lyrics (which are not that great, of course, but still), it conveys the athletes' determination to win, the desire to prove themselves above the others. That's what the song is made for, and that's why the video is perfect. I don't get why you think it doesn't suit the Olympics.

Ok.

My point is that the song works very good on his own, but it's amazing with the video. It's intended to be made for the Olympics and the BBC montage shows "its true potential".

The beginning, especially, perfectly conveys the sense of the lyrics (which are not that great, of course, but still), it conveys the athletes' determination to win, the desire to prove themselves above the others. That's what the song is made for, and that's why the video is perfect. I don't get why you think it doesn't suit the Olympics.

the main argument against the song was the lyrics. I - among many others - have managed to put aside my (let's call it) disappreciation for the lyrics that were considered crap and not pay attention to it because the song was very good in my opinion from every other aspect. however, now that I saw the video I think that the attempt to link the clips to the lyrics has come off pretty weak, even a bit weird. sometimes, where the heavier parts kick in, the displayed clips don't even suit the lyrics and the epicness of the music, while at other parts, the clips are too dramatic for the 'milder' parts of the song when they're played.

but yes, I see what you mean to say. perhaps I've overreacted a bit. maybe the song is not that bad for the Olympics, only for the video, which is still pretty forced and weird in my opinion.

Ok.

+1

Ok.

I think it is conveyed acutely by the words "faster", "higher", the idea that the competition isn't just between current competitors but with previous records. I think that's really cool.

Though taking it out of the context of the Olympics and putting it into the context of what we believe the album theme will be, it also has a dark edge. In the world of capitalism the wish to endlessly progress, in reality, involves a race to the bottom and of course it is a race that is ultimately unsustainable.

Hmm I wonder if it is even possible in the Olympics, or is there a point when there's no way that a human being can exceed the physical capacity of those that have gone before?

Ok.

Well, surviving, being unforgiving, and having vengeance...they're a bit misplaced.

I mean, the Olympic Creed is: "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph, but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered, but to have fought well."

Which is sort of the exact opposite of Survival. And the Olympic Hymn doesn't exactly end with "Fight! Fight! Win! Win!" so much as "Shine like the sun, blazing above, bestow on us your honor, truth and love". So, I can sort of see why people think the song is entirely un-Olympics...

The Olympic motto might be Faster, Higher, Stronger, but even that isn't Fastest, Highest, Winningest.

Well, surviving, being unforgiving, and having vengeance...they're a bit misplaced.

I mean, the Olympic Creed is: "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph, but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered, but to have fought well."

Which is sort of the exact opposite of Survival. And the Olympic Hymn doesn't exactly end with "Fight! Fight! Win! Win!" so much as "Shine like the sun, blazing above, bestow on us your honor, truth and love". So, I can sort of see why people think the song is entirely un-Olympics...

The Olympic motto might be Faster, Higher, Stronger, but even that isn't Fastest, Highest, Winningest.

The song seems to be - and as Matt said - more from the perspective of an athlete and their only thoughts just before they compete not the Olympics as a whole.

But I agree that is a strange contradictory angle to take for the official single

Hmm I wonder if it is even possible in the Olympics, or is there a point when there's no way that a human being can exceed the physical capacity of those that have gone before?

There is a whole new ethical argument about "super-humans" or people who choose to replace their legs with artificial ones because they have better performance in running for example, and of if it is ok to consider these people to compete

Archived