Muse Write Official Song For the Olympics

KirkBot

They are pretty soulless. In other songs it's quite clear when an artist is putting some real emotion into it. Guiding Light in particular just feels fake, like Matt is trying to sound emotional (because the song is supposed to be) and failing, meaning the songs lacks any real emotion or soul.

They are pretty soulless. In other songs it's quite clear when an artist is putting some real emotion into it. Guiding Light in particular just feels fake, like Matt is trying to sound emotional (because the song is supposed to be) and failing, meaning the songs lacks any real emotion or soul.

This argument is stupid anyway.

When I said Matthew Bellamy doesn't write soulless garbage, I didn't mean every song he's written contains a message, because it doesn't. There is more to music than lyrics (which may be cheesy), and I believe he genuinely cares about his work as a composer. I wouldn't believe anyone that tells me Bellamy doesn't care about pieces like USoE or Exogenesis: Symphony and that he hasn't put his entire soul into it, that's an insult.

Meanwhile, some songs are just going to be written for fun (Plug in Baby?), but that can also be the beauty of it if you see where I am going with my previous post.

I'd like you to take a listen to for example Nicki Minaj and tell me she sings anything that has been written with care about anything other than how much of a money boost it's gonna be. That's my definition of a soulless artist.

This is all about the writing aspect, but don't forget that there is a different kind of emotion in music - the one that the listener feels, and frankly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

In my opinion adventurous and experimental artists that do what's in the best interest of themselves are the true cultural heroes. We should just be glad Matthew Bellamy is not a shallow radio-friendly pop icon spewing out soulless garbage.

What I was trying to say with this is that a composer that doesn't follow the current trends, or what old conservative fans (i.e. musers who religiously hate anything after Absolution) want, show that they go their own way regardless. If you follow your own ideas, chances are you'll put more work into what you do, and those artists tend to write more thoughtful, soulful music.

When I said Matthew Bellamy doesn't write soulless garbage, I didn't mean every song he's written contains a message, because it doesn't. There is more to music than lyrics (which may be cheesy), and I believe he genuinely cares about his work as a composer. I wouldn't believe anyone that tells me Bellamy doesn't care about pieces like USoE or Exogenesis: Symphony and that he hasn't put his entire soul into it, that's an insult.

Meanwhile, some songs are just going to be written for fun (Plug in Baby?), but that can also be the beauty of it if you see where I am going with my previous post.

I'd like you to take a listen to for example Nicki Minaj and tell me she sings anything that has been written with care about anything other than how much of a money boost it's gonna be. That's my definition of a soulless artist.

This is all about the writing aspect, but don't forget that there is a different kind of emotion in music - the one that the listener feels, and frankly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I agree with you. It certainly is not just about the lyrics. The music definitely often carries meaning all on its own.

Guiding Light is probably out on its own because, for some reason or other, the music and the lyrics are at odds with each other.

But on NSC the piano and melody are beautiful and, if the lyrics are unsophisticated in parts, that for me is part of its charm. I mean does anyone expect that when Matt speaks from the heart it comes out like Shakespeare? :chuckle: I certainly get the sentiment of the lyrics and of the music.

They are not soulless garbage. Does anyone actually take any notice of what the songs are about? NSC was written about the sadness after a broken relationship and Guiding Light appears to be about a relationship going wrong. How can that be soulless? I don't much like Guiding Light because of the style of the song but even Guiding Light appears to be an attempt to express real stuff that means something and I can identify with the lyrics. I like NSC because the sentiment is reflected in the music.

It's fair enough not to like the songs for whatever reason, because you don't like the musical style or you think the lyrics are cheesy and unoriginal, but I think calling the songs soulless garbage takes it a bit too far.

Sorry, I just tried to be cool by hating NSC and GL. :p I actually enjoy both songs, NSC more than GL though. They aren't great songs, but Matt's vocals saves them for me, atleast NSC.

Sorry, I just tried to be cool by hating NSC and GL. :p I actually enjoy both songs, NSC more than GL though. They aren't great songs, but Matt's vocals saves them for me, atleast NSC.

Haha! Well at least you're being honest.

It probably still was the best opening ceremony ever, though :LOL:

Agreed, in terms of overall.

Though I kinda jumped out of my seat when I saw Arctic Monkeys right after the athletes entered. :LOL: Then onwards I was really hoping Muse would pop up, any time, even after Sir Paul McCartney, but sadly nahhh.

Hope to see them during Closing Ceremony then.

(For some reason my local TV channel refuses to put Survival on when it's the advert for Olympic timing. :wtf: I know there's a Muse fan somewhere there... )

I agree with you. It certainly is not just about the lyrics. The music definitely often carries meaning all on its own.
The music IMO is without any doub the most important. What does it matter having great lyrics if you can't stand the music being played or how those words are sung?

Personally, the lyrics are only a complement to the music and I'm sure that is one of the reasons why I have quite the empathy with Muse's stuff. Cos despite having produced v good lyrics once in awhile, there are certainly better lyricists than Matt out there. But the music always stands on its own. I was re-watching the Making Of TR the other day and when they were recording Resistance it was just so good.

Your argument is still in terms of your own opinion. You think that those are soulless pieces. It feels fake and lack in real emotions for you. But I assure you that it doesn't feel fake for me and bunch of other people. Actually, this is exactly what I am trying to say:

don't forget that there is a different kind of emotion in music - the one that the listener feels, and frankly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

;)

What I was trying to say with this is that a composer that doesn't follow the current trends, or what old conservative fans (i.e. musers who religiously hate anything after Absolution) want, show that they go their own way regardless. If you follow your own ideas, chances are you'll put more work into what you do, and those artists tend to write more thoughtful, soulful music.

This is the best and most accurate thing I've read on this board so far!

I'll be honest and say I wasnt too fond of the song at first but it really has grown on me, especially what that fantastic opening intro which for some reason, wasnt on the single release.

It's bringing metal guitar sounds to the masses and for that should be applauded. We live in a world where 4 writers are needed to pen a load of 'umm, umm, umm' in a Beyonce track so the only reason why this is so jarring is because we'r used to far greater lyrical genius from Matt. However, we'r listening to the song out of context with the album and also out of context with it's own song ffs (with the intro being removed).

Must admit I havent heard this song whatsoever in recent days and thats a shame and would have been more suited to the Opening Ceremony than Artic Monkeys singing out of tune to a Beatles song.

I'll be honest and say I wasnt too fond of the song at first but it really has grown on me, especially what that fantastic opening intro which for some reason, wasnt on the single release.

It's bringing metal guitar sounds to the masses and for that should be applauded. We live in a world where 4 writers are needed to pen a load of 'umm, umm, umm' in a Beyonce track so the only reason why this is so jarring is because we'r used to far greater lyrical genius from Matt. However, we'r listening to the song out of context with the album and also out of context with it's own song ffs (with the intro being removed).

Must admit I havent heard this song whatsoever in recent days and thats a shame and would have been more suited to the Opening Ceremony than Artic Monkeys singing out of tune to a Beatles song.

Matt is not a lyrical genius. He just did some (really) good lyrics, sometimes.

And the AM cover was awesome :awesome:

Archived