How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

The guitar is great, and for the most part the song sounds pretty good. I really like the singing at some points but not at others. The choir is pretty awfully placed and the lyrics are not the worst but are pretty bad. Overall I'd give it 7/10

EDIT: I also feared the worst when the "ah ah ah" part started, but then it got better...ish

Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah...

Race, life's a race

and I'm gonna win

yes, I'm gonna win

And I'll light the fuels

and I'll never lose

and I choose to survive

whatever it takes

You won't pull a head

I'll keep up the pace

and I'll reveal my strength

to the whole human race

yes, I am prepared

to stay alive

and I won't forgive

the vengeance is mine

and I won't give in

cause I choose to thrive

that I'm gonna wiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!

Race, it's a race

and I'm gonna win

yes, I'm gonna win

and I'll light the fuels

and I'll never lose

and I choose to survive

whatever it takes

you're won't pull a head

'cause I'll keep up the pace

and reveal my strength

to the whole human race

Yes, I am prepared

Yes, I'm gonna wiiiiiiiiin!

Fight, fight, fight

Yes, I'm gonna wiiiiiiiiiiiiin!

Fixed.

Lyrically, I'd say it's worse than NSC and on par with Overdue. I never thought I'd say those words.

It really makes me wonder....

Does no one in Muse's inner circle have the nuts to say to Matt, "Ummmm, Matt. Seriously dude. These lyrics suck."

What, are they worried about hurting his feelings or something? :stunned:

Not been much said on the fact that this is the official Olympics song. It's going to be everywhere. If we don't like it (much, though most people have said the guitar is good) then it's hardly going to be good for their reputation. Once more for emphasis - it's going to be everywhere.

More loving comments, curtsey of 4chan's music board

"dat obvious Olympic cash in lyrics"

"What in the fuck was that." LOTS OF THESE

"Haha oh wow. This is ridiculous. It's over the top and pretentious as fuck, so a typical Muse song really."

"Why do all of their songs sound the same?"

"At least there aren't any godawful wubs for now"

"Trying too hard. Ah well. Shits on anything off of The Resistance though."

"was that for real? That was the fucking worst single song i've ever heard"

"It's not as terrible as I was expecting. Though as someone who loved Matt's voice even on their shittiest songs, he has a weird tone on half of this one that I'm not enjoying."

"Well that was shit. Safe, arena chorus. Piano intro. Standard Muse."

"Muse will never be good as long as Matt Bellamy is in control. They could be doing more stuff like their OoS/Absolution days, but Matt got caught up with being wacky and the second coming of Queen. His guitar and piano skills really mean nothing if all he does with them is silly."

"Considering this is a band who made a song for twilight i don't think we can be that surprised and disappointed. can't wait for the new album though"

"I don't like the song. Hopefully there will at least still be some gems on the upcoming album like Hoodoo or Map of the Problematique"

"It doesn't really represent anything other than how muse sounds writing for the Olympics. I don't think it would be possible to create anything to interesting when it has to appeal to that kind of mass."

I don't think they like it.

Thread?

What I love especially is the production. It seems to be a lot better than on The Resistance. Especially the drums sound great, there's a lot more oomph to everything.

I really love the song now. It's like vintage Muse + Resistance era Muse, with an amazing result.

(Though there could be a little less of the choir and Matt's singing in the second verse really annoys me, but oh well. :p)

Also, people complaining about the lyrics: I think they're fitting for the purpose of the song; and the lyrics were never really a strong part of Muse. Matt's not exactly the world's greatest poet :p

I didn't like the choir bits in the verses, and the transition from the classical section into the main song seemed kinda awkward. But apart from that I quite liked it, especially the riffage. I also find it promising that it's already heavier than anything on The Resistance.

I couldn't care less about the fairly bland lyrics, for me at least the music itself is more important. And for those complaining at least it didn't contain the words 'baby', 'love' 'light' or 'heart'. ;)

Though I'll admit, during the first play I started laughing. :LOL:

Thoughts on the lyrics- this is vaguely reminding me of the "tunneller" character in The War of the Worlds- a rather hysterical viewpoint fixating on survival at all cost. They're a bit silly for sure, but that's always been Muse, and I honestly like this.

Viz the choir- I've never heard Muse this Dr Whoish ;)

Plus- THIS is the kind of guitar work I've been waiting for from Matt, and Dom and Chris are excelling themselves. It's a Blues Brothersesque gloriously messy pileup of a song, and I bloody love it.

More loving comments, curtsey of 4chan's music board

[...]

I don't think they like it.

You, sir, are the saver of my sanity. Thanks for posting these. I need to read negative opinions so I don't feel like I landed in a world where nothing makes sense.

I thought it wasn't all about winning, but how you play the game, but apparently it really is all about winning.

I guess Charlie Sheen would approve. #winning :facepalm:

Maybe he wrote it about surviving some sort of disaster in his bunker full of baked beans but also thought the lyrics fit the Olympic theme :unsure::chuckle:

:chuckle:

Pretty sure it's gone now, it was on like page 13 when I'd looked at it. There will no doubt be another one soon though. They had a fucking field day when The 2nd Law trailer was released. ALL DEM WUBS

Well there's the one you got the first set of comments from (unless that was the same thread and I missed it). That one is still up. I guess I'll just stay in that one. Haven't actually gone to that board to discuss in forever.

Ah so I see that won't go away. I don't see what I said wrong.

Uhm, basically everything? I can't understand what Take a Bow and Survival have in common. I can accept comparisons between Eurasia and Survival, if you want to make comparisons.

Thoughts on the lyrics- this is vaguely reminding me of the "tunneller" character in The War of the Worlds- a rather hysterical viewpoint fixating on survival at all cost. They're a bit silly for sure, but that's always been Muse, and I honestly like this.

Viz the choir- I've never heard Muse this Dr Whoish ;)

Plus- THIS is the kind of guitar work I've been waiting for from Matt, and Dom and Chris are excelling themselves. It's a Blues Brothersesque gloriously messy pileup of a song, and I bloody love it.

:LOL: This!

Archived