How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Definition of progressive rock:

a style of rock music originating in the 1970s and characterized by large-scale compositions, often on epic themes, in which musicians display instrumental virtuosity

Exogenesis fits there all by itself.

I don't believe it.

Definitions, textbooks, everywhere nearly shoehorn Muse as a progressive rock band. Some say classical influences, jazz, and that definition from Webster...all of which Muse adhere to.

And yet you still fail or refuse to recognise how the definition of pop music that I posted fits Muse exactly as well. They are not solely one genre, a lot of their music is pop and some of their songs have prog elements but they are not entirely a prog rock band.

/thatshouldbetheendofit

From twitter https://twitter.com/#!/Aissetou

Aissetou Ngom ‏@Aissetou

Also had Muse at the conference with us. I liked their specially written Olympic track - Survival a lot. @London2012

MUSE Italian Fansite ‏@musemuseum

@Aissetou @London2012 can u describe this song for us? too commercial?

@musemuseum fab, emotional, epic, evocative & very Muse. People will love it

Sounds good.

Are we really having a 'Is Muse pro rock?' discussion again? Can you move it to another thread? I want to read about the new single not another boring debate that we've had 100 times on the Muse board.

Well, I simply said that Muse wasn't pop and I wasn't enjoying the way this single was taking me.

People decided to turn it into a genre argument.

I, however, am done. Some people think Wikipedia and what their elementary school teacher said is the bible of music; more power to them.

He'll also start talking over the track before it's even finished, and he'll only read out the positive tweets/facebook comments/texts about the song.

I actually really wish people on the radio would read out negative stuff.

"This song is so bad that if I was stuck in a room with Matt Bellamy and Osama bin laden, and had a gun with only 2 bullets remaining, I'd shoot Matt Bellamy. Twice.

Zane has some buddies in the industry he wouldn't upset.

At least he won't do a Mammoth Rewind like Huw Stephens. That pisses me off no end 'oh we've listened to a minute of it; let's rewind and listen again.'

sur·viv·al/sərˈvīvəl/

Noun:

1.The state or fact of continuing to live or exist, typically in spite of an accident, ordeal, or difficult circumstances.

2.An object or practice that has continued to exist from an earlier time: "a survival from his army days".

3.Releasing a single for an Olympic event that may result in fans running for a dark corner and sobbing asking "What on earth was THAT!"

i know that there is no lack of whining here but damn! damn! damn!,this is neutron star collision all over again,and yeah none of us should get their hopes up,even though that we only heard like 15 seconds of it we know that musically it's nothing like the muse songs that we know and love,the lyrics are super cheesy and even matt's voice doesn't do it for me,why would they do this?,this ain't just about twilight fans,is this how they want to represent themselves to the whole world?,sorry but this is the very definition of selling out.i was getting constant goosebumps since i read the news,feeling super proud,close to tears and then that preview just killed it foe me :(

And yet you still fail or refuse to recognise how the definition of pop music that I posted fits Muse exactly as well. They are not solely one genre, a lot of their music is pop and some of their songs have prog elements but they are not entirely a prog rock band.

/thatshouldbetheendofit

Because that's your opinion of what pop music is.

Not saying your opinion is wrong, it's just proven wrong elsewhere.

They are a progressive rock band first and foremost.

They make classically influenced songs, incorporate jazz, push boundaries of what rock n' roll is.

Thus they are PROGRESSIVE.

/thatshouldbetheendofit

Done.

Anyway, so yeah, the song sounds like it's gonna blow.

I, however, am done. Some people think Wikipedia and what their elementary school teacher said is the bible of music; more power to them.

As much as I find your arrogance funny, it irritates me that you think you're right.

sur·viv·al/sərˈvīvəl/

Noun:

1.The state or fact of continuing to live or exist, typically in spite of an accident, ordeal, or difficult circumstances.

2.An object or practice that has continued to exist from an earlier time: "a survival from his army days".

3.Releasing a single for an Olympic event that may result in fans running for a dark corner and sobbing asking "What on earth was THAT!"

Hah, number 3 wins :chuckle:

Also, "olympic cheese collision" is now my favourite tag.

Well, I simply said that Muse wasn't pop and I wasn't enjoying the way this single was taking me.

People decided to turn it into a genre argument.

Just for the record Wikipedia has been shown to be more accurate than printed encyclopedias. Don't ask me to source this as I heard it at uni like 4 years ago but there it is.

On topic: I'm a bit alarmed at the cheesiness of that clip but will just to wait and see.

They make classically influenced songs, incorporate jazz, push boundaries of what rock n' roll is.

/thatshouldbetheendofit

Done.

So what's next on your list? Are you going to tell us all about how Muse are an indie band?

/thatshouldbetheendofit

Done.

As much as I find your arrogance funny, it irritates me that you think you're right.

Please you two, leave it alone or take it to visitor messages or something. This thread is for discussion on the new single.

190 lurking and only like 10 actually talking

SPEAK YOUR THOUGHTS PEOPLE

Hah, when new pages come up so fast there's you can hardly keep up to them? 80 pages or so with no proper recording heard yet? How about people shutting up about their feelings and talking about thoughts?

Anyway the little leak was a bad recording imo. Matt's voice dominates the instruments. The instruments, what I could hear, didn't actually sound that horrible. Have to wait for the full song. There is no way they can make a weird prog rock song for an official Olympics song. Of course it has to appeal to wide range of audience, i.e. it is pop. Idiots expecting for anything else.

The lyrics do not quite fit the Olympics competition. What the heck has forgiving and vengeance to do with sports?

Are we really having a 'Is Muse pro rock?' discussion again? Can you move it to another thread? I want to read about the new single not another boring debate that we've had 100 times on the Muse board.

Please, can you take your pop/rock argument elsewhere? It's really boring and has been done a million times on this board.

What they ^^ say... for fucks sake take it somewhere else....

sur·viv·al/sərˈvīvəl/

Noun:

I'd say it's more like: how Muse fans feel after listening to their latest single.

Archived