How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

And Radiohead, Foo Fighters and Nickelback have never had classically influenced albums. Thus not prog.

It's a really stupid argument.

So what, specifically having a classically influence album makes it prog, but having orchestral pieces in it doesn't suffice?

Shut up. A song being influenced by classical music has nothing to do with Prog Rock

Okay, have listened a couple more times now. I think it will be cheesy, it is supposed to be an anthem afterall but it's not possible to judge whether it will be good or not from such a short clip.

I think it is very cheesy. Our worst nightmares materialized. I honestly think he wrote parts of it at the same time as NSC and Soaked

So what, specifically having a classically influence album makes it prog, but having orchestral pieces in it doesn't suffice?

Shut up. A song being influenced by classical music has nothing to do with Prog Rock

That's the textbook definition of progressive rock. :$

Just leave him. The annoying thing about stupid people is they don't realise how stupid they are.

From twitter https://twitter.com/#!/Aissetou

Aissetou Ngom ‏@Aissetou

Also had Muse at the conference with us. I liked their specially written Olympic track - Survival a lot. @London2012

MUSE Italian Fansite ‏@musemuseum

@Aissetou @London2012 can u describe this song for us? too commercial?

@musemuseum fab, emotional, epic, evocative & very Muse. People will love it

That sounds very promising. :D I'm sure it's going to be fine. So you can all stop having mass hysteria now! :p

I cant wait to hear Zane's thoughts on this :LOL:

"PEOPLE ARE GOING CRAZY FOR THIS RIGHT NOW. LOVE IT OR HATE IT, YOU GOTTA RESPECT MUSE FOR WHAT THEY'RE DOING"

Or something like that. Shit what did he say about NSC? It'll probably be something similar.

There we go. Scott Mills just on his show at the moment confirmed that Zane Lowe will be playing the track Survival live at 7:30pm and confirmed it's the official song of the 2012 Olympics.

EDIT: Oh and Scott Mills just said that Zane will have an exclusive interview with the band too.

Read your Prog Rock history, watch a few documentaries, perhaps read an encyclopedia and come back and tell me the same argument if you believe it to be true.

Definition of progressive rock:

a style of rock music originating in the 1970s and characterized by large-scale compositions, often on epic themes, in which musicians display instrumental virtuosity

Exogenesis fits there all by itself.

Definitions, textbooks, everywhere nearly shoehorn Muse as a progressive rock band. Some say classical influences, jazz, and that definition from Webster...all of which Muse adhere to.

My old textbook clearly stated that progressive rock developed as a way to combine classical styles and techniques into traditional rock music. And the entire chapter discussed and proved how that was true.

"people are going crazy for this right now. Love it or hate it, you gotta respect muse for what they're doing"

or something like that. Shit what did he say about nsc? It'll probably be something similar.

are you zane lowe in disguise?! Come out with your hands up now, you've been rumbled.

Sounds about right

He'll also start talking over the track before it's even finished, and he'll only read out the positive tweets/facebook comments/texts about the song.

I actually really wish people on the radio would read out negative stuff.

"This song is so bad that if I was stuck in a room with Matt Bellamy and Osama bin laden, and had a gun with only 2 bullets remaining, I'd shoot Matt Bellamy. Twice.

I thought the definition of prog rock was pushing the boundaries technically and compositionally, it can incorporate classical elements (or jazz, or world music, or experimental) but just one element.

Archived