How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Can someone explain to me why they think it's awful?

I can understand annoyance with the choir and the 'ha ha ha' part at the beginning, but to complain about the "weird structure", which is actually pretty basic, or the lyrics is a bit much considering what the song is for. But despite the choir and the 20 seconds people seem not to like, it's pretty damn good i think!

And I actually kinda dig the 'ha ha ha' part. Not really musey, but still kinda funky.

My main problem is that I don't feel like the choir was actually necessary, at least not when the heavy (epic) section kicks in.

This…feels pretty tacked on tbh. I hope they don't use the choir in every song…I didn't like it much in the trailer but that it was okay, but I definitely don't like it here. I don't mind Matt's own vocals being OTT, and even the lyrics being what they are, but choir definitely pushes it too far over imo. The rest of it I like, though.

This…feels pretty tacked on tbh. I hope they don't use the choir in every song…I didn't like it much in the trailer but that it was okay, but I definitely don't like it here. I don't mind Matt's own vocals being OTT, and even the lyrics being what they are, but choir definitely pushes it too far over imo. The rest of it I like, though.

Without the choir I think peoples reactions would have been very different. I wonder if any clever people would be able to edit the choir out of the song, so we can hear what difference it really would have made.

OH wow, this is such cheese.

HOWEVER, it's an effing 'olympic anthem', and seriously, to expect anything but cheese is a bit delusional. The instrumentation was fun, the lyrics not so much. If the entire record is like this (and I don't expect it will be), it will suck. But as a one off 'olympic anthem' it's a whole hell of a lot better than the magic rainbow crap the US outlets were playing during the Beijing games (and no where near as cheesy as 'one moment in time' from Ms Houston back in the day).

I like the song. I don't love it, it's not a fav, and I don't expect it to become a regular on tour setlists over time. Still, for what it IS, it's kinda fun, and I can appreciate that.

And it's effing cool and extremely noteworthy (coming from someone in the states) that Muse is now the "London Olympic Band' instead of the "Twilight Band".

Without the choir I think peoples reactions would have been very different. I wonder if any clever people would be able to edit the choir out of the song, so we can hear what difference it really would have made.

I was thinking the same thing.

I have absolutely no problem with the cheese and OTTness. In fact, I'd be disappointed if Muse did something subdued for the Olympics. But either way I think their use of choir is appalling. I do hope someone with skills does edit out the choir just to hear it. (I'd do it if I knew how.)

Maybe so, but Muse certainly have a certain 'quality' to their sound that just sounds undeniably Muse, ya know what I mean?

/QUOTE]

Naturally, all bands have their sound, and Survival has Muse's sound to it. It's just that it's mixed up with Queen and there's nothing wrong with that.

On this subject, this is one track from a whole album. There is no coincidence their only olympic song sounds like Queen because it has to be bombastic. Matt said he wrote it with the olympics in mind and where better to get inspiration than the band that penned the two single greatest sports anthems in history, namely We Are the Champions and We Will Rock You. Remember Freddie Mercury also wrote the song for the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

The rest of the album won't be like this, but the Olympics will be over before the album comes out, that's why they show us this song.

I honestly thought the dubstep would be a bigger concern than over-the-top songs, which are besides so Muse.

this

If I vote, can I change it later? Because after just one listen, I wouldn't rate it very high (except at the end of the first verse when he screams 'And I am going to win" - that's cool.) I guess it's catchy, but I definitely want to give it another chance (or several).

I expected cheesy, god-awful lyrics from a song written specifically for/about the Olympics... And hell-oh-boy we got them.

But, I could totally look past that. Honest.

I really feel like there's parts of the songs I LIKE. Really like. Some of the vocals in particular.

It's completely the choir/hahaha bit for me. It makes me feel ashamed of myself for some reason, deep down inside.

I only heard part of the interview before I left to try and explain what I was doing to my boss, but what Mr Bellamy said about the "dark side" of the Olympics makes me WANT to like the song...

And, this song might end my relationship if we can't stop fighting about it. lols :eek:

If I vote, can I change it later? Because after just one listen, I wouldn't rate it very high (except at the end of the first verse when he screams 'And I am going to win" - that's cool.) I guess it's catchy, but I definitely want to give it another chance (or several).

Me too. I actually don't mode it after 10-12 listens, aside from the lyrics and choir

Ive had the ending riffage stuck in my head all evening. Me gusta.

+There is a video on youtube, I guess it's a clip from BBC, but its the song played set to a video of athletes and such...it compliments the song really well.

Archived