How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

I still love it though, it's hilarious. :D

My main reason for loving it, it blatantly shows that Muse really don't want to be taken seriously at all anymore, which I'm fine with. I find songs like this 'fun' to listen to, for want of a better word, because it's so OTT. I've not really been able to do that before, I don't think. Which is also why I don't mind the lyrics, they're made to be laughed at and not to be taken seriously (I really hope so anyway, that's what happens to me).

To the person who said I was wrong, that is ok. If you want to carry on kidding yourself that it is actually good, then be my guest.

Oh no, someone likes it. They must be delusional :pope:

I still love it though, it's hilarious. :D

I think that's what makes it listenable for me :LOL:

Also, I was going to mention the fact at how, now, since they have so many instruments/voices, (i.e. a full choir and another orchestra(or small group of strings)) how(or will) they have a small chunk, if not all, of the choir to sing the backing vocals? And will they actually bring a string section(and horn section since thats in T2L as well) on the actual tour? I really can't imagine how it will sound if they have Morgan play back all these sounds...

My main reason for loving it, it blatantly shows that Muse really don't want to be taken seriously at all anymore, which I'm fine with. I find songs like this 'fun' to listen to, for want of a better word, because it's so OTT. I've not really been able to do that before, I don't think. Which is also why I don't mind the lyrics, they're made to be laughed at and not to be taken seriously (I really hope so anyway, that's what happens to me).

I agree with you and Kueller, it is funny, and that's good! In the similar way that I b t y was funny, its good that they dont take themselves so seriously.

IBTY + Surival and to an extent NSC - good cheesy

GUiding light + resistance - bad cheesy

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Now you put the sound of Matt's falsetto singing "CHEEEESEEE" in my head.

Haha apologies :LOL:

But I do love the song. I think there's two common complaints really:

1. The lyrics - which as many people have already said, need to be kept simple and relevant for an Olympic song. There's a lot of nations that will also be listening to this song with more limited knowledge of English. That's not saying Matt is usually a lyrical maestro however :rolleyes:

2. The intro - as someone mentioned previously, this song needs a segmented pattern as only parts of it will be played at certain times - some parts will have to be less 'rock' then others. Also I'm guessing for various reasons the song needs to be extended past the normal length. This is why the actual song doesn't have the intro.

The only other valid complaint I see is that maybe there's too much going on in the song, but I think its a matter of taste.

My main reason for loving it, it blatantly shows that Muse really don't want to be taken seriously at all anymore, which I'm fine with.

Same here, but that's what made me like most of the Resistance too at first, but it wore off very quickly. I'm afraid the 2nd law won't last either. We'll see. This song will be a skipper for sure, I find myself always skipping the single that was released before the album, I'm usually over it by the time the album comes out.

I like it. It's light hearted and not even the slightest way serious. And it gets reasonably epic near the end. Very relieved after everyone thinking it was the end of the world after the preview. Does anyone have a link to the preview? I wanna listen to it now.

Had a few good listens now and my initial reaction was that it is great, I really got caught up in the wave of excitement and have now changed my mind.

I just think they have overdone it a little. I don't not like it but i'm not a massive fan and I really don't like the lyrics. I think it is the lyrics that disappoint me the most as a muse fan im used to hearing (most of the time) really interesting lyrics that make you think a little but these lyrics really arent great at all. Saying that i do understand that it is hard to write lyrics for the Olympics.

My reaction id compare to getting a christmas present that you dont like but at the same time you appreciate it :LOL:.

I also think it makes Unsustainable sound amazing too and cannot wait for that.

Also, I was going to mention the fact at how, now, since they have so many instruments/voices, (i.e. a full choir and another orchestra(or small group of strings)) how(or will) they have a small chunk, if not all, of the choir to sing the backing vocals? And will they actually bring a string section(and horn section since thats in T2L as well) on the actual tour? I really can't imagine how it will sound if they have Morgan play back all these sounds...

Morgan will do all the voices at once by himself.

Nah, Dan the trumpet man might come back along with a couple of other brass players. They could have a small choir on stage but I assume it'll most likely be playback.

Morgan is everything and everyone. He can do it. Also they could just use a backing track.

IBTY + Surival and to an extent NSC - good cheesy

GUiding light + resistance - bad cheesy

And Invincible?

Invincible actually has lyrics that would do well as an Olympic anthem... It's more about the standing together part than the trying to beat each other part, which I always thought was the Olympic spirit.

And Invincible?

Invincible actually had lyrics that would do well as an Olympic anthem actually... It's more about the standing together part than the trying to beat each other part, which I always thought was the Olympic spirit.

I'd put invincible in good cheesy, yeah.

same with B AND H to an exte t

Yeah that's true, it's probably gonna be like that. I just think it would sound better if it were more authentic.

It would also sound better if Matt sang cod properly live for once but that doesn't happen either.

Can any non-blinkered fan of Muse please answer me this?

I have always admired Muse for their political/social comments on the world we find ourselves in. I have also, always, similarly admired them for their brave and unique take on where we, the human race, find ourselves! But...

...here we arrive at a place where a supposed moralistic band start behaving like coorporate whores!!

We must remember that we are in a time of political/social/economic uncertainty that has finally highlighted the gross inequality in our nation, let alone the world itself!!!

The Olympics are perhaps the most overt symbol of attempting to paper over these cracks; Disgusting coorporatism, unparalleled militarism on our streets, diminished legal rights, an extended Hoo-ray for the royal parasites and much, much more....not to mention 'teams' entering without a single female included!!!!!!!

Muse have lost all respectability for any of our generation who thought they stood for more!

They may as well be, Ant & Dec, Beiber, Spice Girls, David Cameron et al - Not in my name!

That's a little melodramatic.

Or maybe they're just representing their country like any other band would if they were asked. I'm sure they were honoured when asked to represent the whole Olympic games, nevermind just represent their country. I highly doubt they would turn around and say "Hey man, no. We're not your coorperate whores! Take your left wing agenda somewhere else mannnn"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

Archived