How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Just realised that the riff at the endish is pretty low, maybe A? Perhaps this is a song for the 7 string Manson! Would be nice to see it get used for more than just CE :)

They've said it's been used on the album. This song is in Drop Ab by the sounds of it, lower than CE.

Edit: That Bb4 chest note will be the new "I will avenge", it'll never be done :rolleyes: Although it sort of has to be done, Matt will find a way to get out of it. Or maybe this tour he'll change and become braver with his vocals.

The mixing was really good I thought. The version from iTunes sounds really good... It's quite loud, but as was said before, what isn't today?

If only every album could be mastered as well as The Stone Roses' debut...

The mixing and mastering of that album is heavenly :D:LOL:

'Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck Race, life's race'

WHAT YOU GONNA DO? INFRACT ME AGAIN? :LOL:

Fingers crossed 'groovey' is the heavy bass and drum riffs I know they're capable of. This track was half way to being exactly what I wanted it to be, but somehow it leapt off a cliff and totally missed the target. I guess for the Olympics it's ok...

I like strings and I like Queen and I like choirs. But whatever the hell they did with all three of those things, I'm like :wtf:

You're all coming out the woodwork now.

Yeah that's my thoughts. The choir is super weird. The other parts of the song I really like on their own but not together as one song. Dunt laak tha lyrux thoooo.

Frankly, I'm bloody glad Muse did the song. Soooo many bands would just do a bland, slowly rising song about striving and effort, while Muse go utterly bananas. Which is precisely why I love them.

Yeah, this. I like that they went a bit mad and made it fun. I think it will go pretty well with the tongue-in-cheek feel Danny Boyle wants to get across.

My ur-texts for great rock production are Unknown Pleasures, Rage Against The Machine and Relationship of Command. I think all the production on this matches the second best- it's not raw, but the instruments all seem in the right "place" if you see what I mean, nothing's in the background.

Frankly, I'm bloody glad Muse did the song. Soooo many bands would just do a bland, slowly rising song about striving and effort, while Muse go utterly bananas. Which is precisely why I love them.
i think you nailed one of the reasons i like this song so much :LOL:

freaking olympics and muse go and release THIS :LOL: bloody proud of them AND of the organisation for having the balls to have an official song like this. should i send my thanks yous over to danny boyle? :D

I think that Coldplay would have been a more appropirate choice, their music is more fitting with the Olympics. I could totally imagine a song like Viva la Vida or Life in Technicolor II or Charlie Brown for the Olympics.

coldplay are never an appropriate choice :noey:

Edit: That Bb4 chest note will be the new "I will avenge", it'll never be done :rolleyes: Although it sort of has to be done, Matt will find a way to get out of it. Or maybe this tour he'll change and become braver with his vocals.

That would exactly make it the new "I will avenge," that never got sang properly anyway.

Well Resistance was the new one last tour, with the weak falsetto ending taking over mid-tour.

Most of you need to be shot.

Agreed.

Freddie is gonna come back from the grave and round kick their heads off.

PS. Getting banned for that? srsly? Doesn't surprise me people are still getting banned for silly crap they say. I doubt anyone took luke serious and thought they were gonna get shot for liking a song..

It's gonna be epic on live :D ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh, and the whole crowd repeat the same!

Pretty good, not perfect but not bad either, good start. More riffs and screaming!!

:LOL: dropped from my chair (one's twitter update), "They better have 500 muscular midgets singing the intro 'ah ah ah ah ah ah' etc"

After being extremely pessimistic, I have to say, i like it very much. The second half of the song especially, i love the riff and guitar track overall. I don't understand some comments i'm seeing about disowning muse after this, is it really THAT bad to some people

My thoughts:

Lyrics:

These are possibly the worst lyrics I've heard in any Muse song. Which is saying something.

At times they make little sense and give an extremely shallow view of what the olympics are all about. In short, I think they've missed the point a little and it is hardly inspiring.

Music:

Musically, Prelude is the best part. Unfortunately it isn't part of the song... The rest seems to continue on the cheese theme from The Resistance/NSC and add to it. Parts of it are ok but generally I am disappointed after a few listens. The vocals aren't great either.

Production:

It seems quite poorly produced which just adds to the cheap/cheesy feel of the song.

Overall I'm a bit disappointed. There seems to be some confusion about whether it's on the Album or not - I'm hoping it isn't. If it is on the Album, I have extremely low expectations. It seems like they are continuing down the Neutron Star Collision path and it sounds incredibly cheap and rushed.

:mad: are you kidding me? A cheese theme? Seriously you people need to get a grip... Obviously the lyrics sucked, he had to write this for stupid people who wouldnt be able to comprehend a typical Muse song because of there lack of intelligence. In my opinion the music was amazing, I'd love to see a band besides Muse try to come even CLOSE to what they did in this song. As for your "cheese theme"... I honestly think you've just got your head stuck in the sand. The Resistance was a great album with some of the best music this decade. If you want old Muse, go listen to old Muse, but the rest of us are moving forward because belive it or not, we enjoy new music instead of denouncing it because it isnt a carbon fucking copy of OoS.

I can't stand them at the best of times, and them doing the standard uniting the world in fluffiness tropes on that scale would physically hurt me.

BTW did anyone hear a little bit of wub in the breakdown before the solo, or is that all axe work?

:LOL:

And the wub has always been axe work.

I can't stand them at the best of times, and them doing the standard uniting the world in fluffiness tropes on that scale would physically hurt me.

BTW did anyone hear a little bit of wub in the breakdown before the solo, or is that all axe work?

:LOL:

And the wub has always been axe work.

V close poll. Finally managed to buy it after enduring a horrid penalty stage: go Spain! lol.

Anyways, onto the song: shame the download doesn't include the Prelude - can't see the point of excluding it.

I can agree the lyrics are shit, but that's not really been enough of a reason for me to outright dislike a Muse song. The worst I've heard lyrically from them is definitely NSC. Nothing can top the cheese and barf-worthy lyrics there. But there are very catchy elements of the song which redeem it, even though I do come close to puking at every 'love is forever'/'we'll die together' warble, especially knowing it's about Twatlight :p.

The words to Survival are unimaginative, sure, and could be much better than 'Fight! Fight! Win! Win!' etc - lol - but I'm always more taken by the style of their songs than the words: I find the 'all over the place' element a bit more refreshing. It makes it seem like a spontaneous and crazy bit of musical wizardry, which is what Matt appears to be trying to achieve.

They've not gone for conventional structure because nothing about the song is outwardly conventional. It's their one chance to mess about and while not following a consistent pattern, it still works, imo. I'm left thinking WTF in a good way. It reminds me of USoE. It's purposely OTT and Queen-esque and leaves you confused. This is more or less what people thought of that song, too, bar the lyrical disappointment.

:mad: are you kidding me? A cheese theme? Seriously you people need to get a grip... Obviously the lyrics sucked, he had to write this for stupid people who wouldnt be able to comprehend a typical Muse song because of there lack of intelligence. In my opinion the music was amazing, I'd love to see a band besides Muse try to come even CLOSE to what they did in this song. As for your "cheese theme"... I honestly think you've just got your head stuck in the sand. The Resistance was a great album with some of the best music this decade. If you want old Muse, go listen to old Muse, but the rest of us are moving forward because belive it or not, we enjoy new music instead of denouncing it because it isnt a carbon fucking copy of OoS.

THIS.

Somebody needs to make Matt a mix CD of non-"Bohemian Rhapsody" Queen songs for him to take "inspiration" from.

"Ogre Battle", "Death On Two Legs" and "The Prophet's Song" are good choices.

*Yes, I'm now listening to Queen after people made references to "Bicycle Race"*

V close poll. Finally managed to buy it after enduring a horrid penalty stage: go Spain! lol.

Anyways, onto the song: shame the download doesn't include the Prelude - can't see the point of excluding it.

I can agree the lyrics are shit, but that's not really been enough of a reason for me to outright dislike a Muse song. The worst I've heard lyrically from them is definitely NSC. Nothing can top the cheese and barf-worthy lyrics there. But there are very catchy elements of the song which redeem it, even though I do come close to puking at every 'love is forever'/'we'll die together' warble, especially knowing it's about Twatlight :p.

The words to Survival are unimaginative, sure, and could be much better than 'Fight! Fight! Win! Win!' etc - lol - but I'm always more taken by the style of their songs than the words: I find the 'all over the place' element a bit more refreshing. It makes it seem like a spontaneous and crazy bit of musical wizardry, which is what Matt appears to be trying to achieve.

They've not gone for conventional structure because nothing about the song is outwardly conventional. It's their one chance to mess about and while not following a consistent pattern, it still works, imo. I'm left thinking WTF in a good way. It reminds me of USoE. It's purposely OTT and Queen-esque and leaves you confused. This is more or less what people thought of that song, too, bar the lyrical disappointment.

Best mature muser eh? More like most anal muser

Where did Renee say that she is the one who infracted/banned him? She is simply familiar with the rules of the board, which I'm pretty sure prohibit personal attacks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived