Muse Member Ticket Application

Sam Sparrow

I was very disappointed with the pre-sale arrangements this time - I'm glad that Sam has taken the time to write to us all, but I am still really angry about the application process only relating to standing tickets - there are lots of reasons why fans might not want or be able to stand for a gig and it would have been great to have the opportunity to apply for tickets just like those who wanted standing tickets. I am totally pissed off about this, having only managed to get two seats in block 209 for the Manchester gig. I know I should be grateful for at least being able to go to the gig, but I am comparing it to the experience of buying Wembley tickets last time. The code that was allocated to muse.mu members worked brilliantly. End of rant.....but I hope there is a better process in place in future:mad:

Speculation (if I knew there was one I'd keep it secret!) but we got one for the TR tour and this sold out even faster. One or two extra gigs would be not at all surprising.

oh poops. :(

The night after the O2 gigs, it's Lionel Ritchie at the O2 so it won't be added after.

and the night before is John Bishop so it won't be added before.

It seems a bit unlikely to add a random return date :(

In response to all of the posts regarding the lottery and presale. I was unsuccessful but recieved no emails. Crowdsurge were very helpful to me even down to their financial director emailing paypal directly to release my funds. The email to let me know if I was successful and with a presale link apparently should have come from Muse?? I don't know if this is true. There was information missing from the beginning such as advising you to check with your bank etc to see how long they have to keep your money on hold before they can release it. With paypal it is 10 days to allow in this case Crowdsurge enough time to take it! All banks etc are different. Also promising to let you know either way and then not doing so is poor. Then only a few getting hold of the presale link is bad. Devastating then for fans to see tickets on ebay straight away for 2 and 3 times their face value. I agree that the management somewhere along the line have mismanaged this. Once again the fat cats will be fatter and the ordinary folk will miss out. There was nothing fair in this system at all. I myself was fortunate to get tickets having borrowed the money from my mortgage money ! Others sadly were not. This should be discussed at a higher level as the band themselves would surely be unhappy at the amount of tickets now on ebay!!:

Speculation (if I knew there was one I'd keep it secret!) but we got one for the TR tour and this sold out even faster. One or two extra gigs would be not at all surprising.

I swear we got two nights at the O2 Arena, unless you're counting the Children In Need show Muse did on the same day as the first night.

It's an odd one - this tour goes on for about 3 weeks more than the TR European arena tour, but the band are playing 4 less shows.

I am probably the oldest Muse fan on this website being a sprightly 67 years. As I am now considered a a pensioner I didn’t want to apply for a standing tickets through the lottery process. This I thought was a bad idea to exclude those of us who are not only old but also young at heart and cannot stand for all those hours. Consequently I didn’t receive the presale code and was forced to apply for tickets through the general sale. I am pleased to say I was successful and managed to get four tickets in block 106 at the back for the Friday at the 02, I am taking three of my six children and one ticket in block 118 for the Saturday at the 02 for myself. Although not great seats by any means, I know the seats at the 02 having been there loads of times, I am happy. However just to point out that their last concerts at the 02 involving the presale codes worked much better and I was fortunate enough to get block 101 next to the stage. The presale code works much better and also the money doesn’t get taken out of your account until you purchase the tickets. It’s a fairer way to manage tickets for the likes of older people like myself. Just because I am old doesn’t mean I don’t love Muse because I do and am completely devoted to the band. In my own way I promote the band as much as I can and am slowly getting my husband into their music. I was there at the beginning by the way with Billy Fury and the Tornados having seen Matt’s dad in the early 60’s playing Telstar.

I was on Ticketmaster at 10 sharp yesterday and the best ticket I could get for Manchester was block 104 at the back, I wanted 102 or 115 so how did all those seats get snapped up so quickly!.

Yes, I did only register for the "messageboard" this week cause I had something to say. I have been a member of the site for a while so was able to apply for the presale but I didn't want standing tickets so I didn't feel like everyones Grandma and I also have a bit of a dodgy back.

its okay to sit down at gigs.. watching it all and chilling instead of getting sweaty :D

I am probably the oldest Muse fan on this website being a sprightly 67 years. As I am now considered a a pensioner I didn’t want to apply for a standing tickets through the lottery process. This I thought was a bad idea to exclude those of us who are not only old but also young at heart and cannot stand for all those hours. Consequently I didn’t receive the presale code and was forced to apply for tickets through the general sale. I am pleased to say I was successful and managed to get four tickets in block 106 at the back for the Friday at the 02, I am taking three of my six children and one ticket in block 118 for the Saturday at the 02 for myself. Although not great seats by any means, I know the seats at the 02 having been there loads of times, I am happy. However just to point out that their last concerts at the 02 involving the presale codes worked much better and I was fortunate enough to get block 101 next to the stage. The presale code works much better and also the money doesn’t get taken out of your account until you purchase the tickets. It’s a fairer way to manage tickets for the likes of older people like myself. Just because I am old doesn’t mean I don’t love Muse because I do and am completely devoted to the band. In my own way I promote the band as much as I can and am slowly getting my husband into their music. I was there at the beginning by the way with Billy Fury and the Tornados having seen Matt’s dad in the early 60’s playing Telstar.

You are very gracious to say that you're happy with the tickets you got. I'd say you deserve seats near the stage and it's a real shame the provisions made for fans to get tickets didn't work out very well.

118 is by the stage so as far as seats go, is pretty good.

I hope I'm still rocking at 67. I still go down the front of gigs and boing about like a loon but I do "feel the burn" the next day now :$

I'm not as old as you but I'm still getting on at 56. My family are huge Muse fans and have many gigs between us over the past decade, having gigs such as Teignmouth, Royal Albert Hall and Marley Park under our belts. We decided to pool our applications across the 2 dates and 'won' 3 of the 5 we applied for. I used one of the failed applications for some seats in Block 111 on Friday night for myself/wife. Like the previous 2 tours, we'll stand on the Saturday for the different experience.

I know this may seem unfair when so many are desperate to go once and I'm sympathetic. It is possible to place a one night limit per household/member but even then it would be impossible to fully control without ID checks. The O2 simply would be too difficult to get 16k checks done quickly and efficiently without wristbands that can be secured, applied and acquired earlier.

The BBC Proms did this, maybe the best anti-tout appproach I've seen recently.

That's great to hear - keep on rockin'! I'm a 'young at heart' older Muser too and there must be a lot of people, like me, who loved 70's prog rock and have got into Muse.:)

It's good to see that Muse Management has taken on board the strength of feeling regarding the whole ticket-application thing and have taken the time to respond, so thanks for that.

What I hope they can do, which they probably have no control over unfortunately, is control all the ticket-touting sites and eBay listings that are charging extortionate prices for tickets. Those people clearly only bought tickets to sell them on for a profit, and it's simply unfair to fans who genuinely wanted to go to the shows.

Where Sam has said they'll 'think very carefully before running pre-sales in this manner again', I think the main thing they need to consider is how to give actual fans an advantage ahead of general sales. This 'lottery' idea basically allowed anyone to join/register and apply for tickets, so you didn't really have to be a fan. I bet a few touts joined under different email accounts and managed to get tickets to numerous shows. Just think about how to make it fair to fans in future: a run-of-the-mill pre-sale would have worked better, imo. Anyway, there's my two cents.

Short version: The idea wasn't THAT bad, but it was horribly executed and seemed to be very badly thought through.

First off the info we were given at the start was very confusing to a lot of people. Could we apply for tickets to several gigs? Which application would be removed if we sent more than one? It's all good that they're now talking to us about how we felt about the new system, but why not just add some info since so many people were confused? Wouldn't be too hard to just explain it to us. And that there was no clear mention of our money being put on hold further added to this confusion.

Secondly, why would the people responsible for this think that this would stop touts in any way when people could still sign up after it was announced and everyone in the whole world knew that Muse were doing a pre-sale? It has been said many times before, but I just can't understand it.

And last, not testing the website in IE before making it public? Really?

It's always a race to get tickets for the gigs but it's never been THIS bad. There are more fans - and considerably less gigs for a first tour to promote a new album - and the band is so popular now that if nothing is done, a huge slice of tickets will go to touts. I mean, 4.000 tickets being sold at outrageous prices only in one site? That's disgraceful.

Pre-sales that can be accessed by everyone (and with a little amount of tickets), lotteries, etc, nothing of this is enough now. With the demand there currently is for Muse shows and considering the band's popularity, I definitely think a radical approach to sell tickets is in order. Before ALL hardcore fans end up without tickets!

Many alternatives have been suggested and I am sure that management knows better than anyone here what can be done to give fans a fair chance at getting tickets....

Not saying anything new, guess I'm just adding another 'voice' to the group.

Thanks for the thread and acknowledging that things didn't go well; we appreciate the intention of the 'lottery', it simply didn't work. Hopefully next time things will go better.

I think a presale should be limited to one named ticket per person. The lottery idea would work with that. A presale where some people put in for 4 tickets and get chosen is cutting off those fans who only want 1 or 2.

If you need more than 1 ticket, you take your chances in the General Sale (which I think should also be limited to 2 tickets per person).

A lottery is a good idea in that there was no rush for tickets and no need to get up early after a night shift to swear at the computer or take time off work to buy tickets. This particular lottery was just not thought through properly and the 'after lottery' experience was very poor.

I'm sure I've said all this before, sorry I'm muddled over which thread is which now :$ too much Museystress turns the brain to mush ;)

I suppose one way on fairness for fans is insisting on reduced allocations for second hand sites. I mean, there's at least 2,000 tickets per night on eBay, viagogo, Seatwave, StubHub and GetMeIn among others and it is just completley ridiculous - their allocations seem to grow with each passing tour, and more needs to be done to stop promoters doing this, or at least to such an extent.

The lottery was a good concept but just didn't really work. I suppose stuff like cut-off dates for useing it is one method, although personally I found the pre-sales for the 2009 arena tours and the last shows at Wembley easier to use, and I daresay I'm probably not alone in this view.

I didn't apply through this because I found it a more restrictive model of the flawed ticketing system for the Olympics, as well as finding it too complex to understand, and this was before the complaints about stuff like money being held, e-mails not sent, selective pre-sales, etc.

It's certainly a good thing the band and management are prepared to make an effort, and it is certainly tricky to try and make sure fans are getting screwed with, but it needs more fine-tuning to make it work, short of playing more shows I guess.

Hopefully next time something like this is tried it works for applicants.

I suppose one way on fairness for fans is insisting on reduced allocations for second hand sites. I mean, there's at least 2,000 tickets per night on eBay, viagogo, Seatwave, StubHub and GetMeIn among others and it is just completley ridiculous - their allocations seem to grow with each passing tour, and more needs to be done to stop promoters doing this, or at least to such an extent.

+123456789

Hi everyone,

I know you've had a few questions since my post so I thought I'd address some of them for you here:

Kranky 68, L. and others - we can categorically state that we have NEVER passed tickets on to the secondary market. Nor is it possible that SJM would have done this without us knowing. We feel very strongly about this and make sure that our promoters and ticket retailers know it. The only tickets that are held back from the general sales are those reserved for the band, promoter, agent and record company and those that could be affected by changes in the production and sight lines. If any do become available, the latter end up getting put on sale once the production has been finalised.

tulaplee, Harley etc - Although it may have appeared on people's statements that money had been withdrawn from their accounts, Crowdsurge have assured us that none was actually taken. There was therefore no money to earn interest on and we would never do this anyway. Certain elements of the pre-authorisation process did not happen as we wanted and we very much regret that it wasn't the fan experience that we hoped it would be. The information that we received from PayPal via Crowdsurge was that the pre-auth process would just check that the money was available and not hold it. We're still looking into why it didn't operate in this way.

Luxemburger Queen, Frakkles etc - when I said the 'majority' of people had had a decent experience I obviously wasn't referring to the poll on the boards! I was instead referring to the total number of customer service issues that we had which currently stands at 2% of all ticket applicants. I appreciate that many of you here had a bad experience and didn't get tickets, but people who had a good experience don't tend to go online and tell people about it!

a-musing - No I'm afraid that there isn't any way that we can remove listings on Ebay. Unfortunately under UK law touting for musical events is not illegal. Anthony Addis (Muse's manager) is actually very closely involved with the groups lobbying the government on this issue. Also, regarding the hold on your money and you not getting tickets, have you contacted us directly about this? If not, please do so on help@muse.mu. We are responding to every email we receive.

oysterman, [DT|_Me]DEADSTAR etc - thanks for your comments regarding pre-sale codes and alternative ideas. We have taken this on board, but please bear in mind that the pre-sale code system that we've run before generates codes for every Muse member in every country which means a lot of redundant codes that could be passed around or sold. This doesn't mean that we won't use the code system again, just that it too has its flaws.

ManxMuser etc - the reason that we chose to only make standing tickets available in the Muse Member pre-sale was because we knew that this new process was going to be complicated with a lot of information on the application form across the multiple shows. Had we added various levels of seating to it, it would have added to the complexity for the fans applying and would have made the process take even longer as we'd have needed to filter and allocate many more different levels of ticket. We went for standing over seating as these tickets always sell out fastest and are generally the ones that hardcore fans want. We do appreciate that this meant a minority of people would be unhappy with our decision, but we weighed this up against the potential confusion and disappointment that almost certainly would have resulted had we made this process any more complicated.

I hope this clarifies some of your questions.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam, thank you for taking the time to read all the comments on this thread and responding to the major questions/queries people had.

EDIT: I do believe though that the only way forward for fan pre sale is a nominative ticketless system as it has no appeals for touts and ensure 100% of the tickets to go to fans.

Thank you Sam for your reply.

For myself, I am happy to hear that tickets are not provided directly to secondary sellers by Muse and their management and it's good to know that your involved with the fight to try and put a stop to the touts. Although, you can understand how this may have been peoples impression when you look at how fast the tickets started appearing for sale on the usual suspects websites and the large numbers of tickets available.

It's very much appreciated that you've took the time to address the points/coments made and I'm sure you'll have a few more comments to go at soon. ;)

Archived