Muse Member Ticket Application

Sam Sparrow

Dear Muse Members,

We've read all your comments regarding the muse.mu member ticket application process and we'd just like to say that we're sorry that quite a few of you seem to have had a negative experience.

This of course was far from what we had intended when we launched the application. What we wanted to do was to give you all a less stressful and fairer way of accessing tickets.

We hope that by now Crowdsurge have dealt with any outstanding problems. If they haven't, please contact us directly on help@muse.mu or sam@muse.mu and we will do what we can to help.

While we can see that many of you here have incurred problems with the pre-sale, overall the majority of people do seem to have had a decent experience. Having said that, we are listening to your views and will think very carefully before running pre-sales in this manner again.

Sam

Nice one! It was definitely a better system than no presale system. It's just annoying that there's no definitive way to stop touts other than an ID system, which I'm guessing is rather expensive.

+1, appreciate the efforts made for the fans Sam.

While we can see that many of you here have incurred problems with the pre-sale, overall the majority of people do seem to have had a decent experience.

Sam

ARE YOU HAPPY WITH THE NEW KIND OF PRESALE?

Yes 22 16.30%

No 105 77.78%

Don't know 8 5.93%

I haven't done maths in a really long time but I'm pretty sure that 'Yes' isn't the majority here.

The fact is, it was a lottery and that's fair in some ways but unfair in others.

People shouldn't be given tickets based on totally random drawings because anyone could sign up to the site just for pre-sale. You sieve through the 'real fans' by doing something that only people who follow the band will know (something you can't get the answer to on a google search).

To do a random drawing AFTER that is perfectly fine but, as proven here by the tickets already on Vivagogo and E-Bat, this system clearly doesn't work.

While we can see that many of you here have incurred problems with the pre-sale, overall the majority of people do seem to have had a decent experience.

I'm interested to know where you got this idea from? The poll seems to suggest 'no', and although obviously not the same amount of people who tried to get tickets voted in this poll but where did you get the vibe from?

Even is the majority of people were successful in obtaining their tickets through this lottery doesn't mean they automatically had a decent experience, and I say this as someone who has gotten tickets.

But nevertheless, I still appreciate the attempt.

A lottery is fine but there were too many other problems rolling along with it.

I think we all appreciate the effort to help fans out but it just seems that it wasn't managed by Crowdsurge very well. Perhaps they haven't experienced anything like a MUSEcrowdsurge before ? :LOL: (this is hysterical laughter but better than crying)

Now the ticket sites have gone mad as well. Lots of people reporting similar problems to me - having tickets in basket which are suddenly unavailable when you have added your details. I know this is a ticket site problem but after all the other issues, it's just added to the frustrations.

The failure point was the ability to sign up and then apply. That was not fair to loyal members who have been here for years. The other issue is that groups with deeper pockets could pool together and increase their chances, with the ability to sell off (profit) from the excess if they were overly 'lucky'.

The unique password worked very well in the past and should have been considered this time.

Having said that, we are listening to your views and will think very carefully before running pre-sales in this manner again.

Sam

Thank you very much for your effort. I myself have been a Muser for over 10 years and attended many many gigs. I was one of the unlucky ones who didn't even get a mail from sourceforge. Today I couldnt get through to the tickets in Swiss presale. Why don't you start printing holders faces on tickets? - You can only applie with 2 .jpg that would be a great presale.

The press always finds out about the "secret" presales for fans. In Switzerland it got posted by many of the biggest newspaper websites. No wonder there was a huge wave of requests. All touts got informed... I mean check how many new accounts you generated on the website the past weekend. ...And now as a result true fans don't get any at all. I believe presales should not be announced and to be discovered by frequent sitevisitors - first comes first served bases and then everybody who tells someone is responsible who will know too. The shows will all be sold out anyway so please let the true fans have tickets. It doesn't matter to Muse how they sell those tickets, I'm sure they would be pleased to know fans get them and not touts ...

It's really nice to have some kind of acknowledgement from your side that things didn't go as smoothly as hoped. Perhaps I am speaking for myself, alone here but I'm so used to things going wrong in situations like this and management just turning a blind eye. It's good to feel like you're listening and want to try and make it work next time.

I had a really, really awful experience with Crowdsurge. First of all, I do not understand why confirmation of entrance into the lottery didn't come with an email notification which had your reference code on there. Seems daft. I also had problems trying to book tickets in Internet Explorer - yeah I know, who uses that any more etc etc, but unfortunately at work, it's all I have access to. And even if majority don't use the browser, it still seems stupid that the website wouldn't work with it.

Once I had my ticket application sorted - a headache in itself as trying to organise who wanted to go to which gigs and how many presale applications we needed to submit was horrendous - I waited to hear back about my application status. I got nothing. I submitted two tickets through Crowdsurge's website yesterday afternoon, and emailed them twice - once on my personal email address, and once on my work. Eventually, at 10pm last night I got fed up of waiting and decided to call them. The guy I spoke to on the phone told me that my application had been unsuccessful - OK, that's fine, I understand - but when I queried why I hadn't received an email confirming this in the first place, and consequently, why none of my emails/tickets had been followed up on, he tried to blame it on gmail, saying that they blocked Crowdsurge emails sometimes. Aside from the fact that this statement is incorrect - many people had contact with Crowdsurge through gmail and experienced no problems - but as soon as my phonecall had ended, I received a follow up to one of my tickets, saying that my application had been unsuccessful - received through my gmail. More to the point, if this excuse by Crowdsurge had some basis of truth, why were we not told at any point in the ballot process that gmail can sometimes be problematic? It seems silly at best, and unbelievable at worst.

I also did not receive the early bird sale link today, due to the fact that my official 'you didn't get tickets, sorry' email still has not come through (and is not in my junk mail). It was only through kind-hearted friends, and gigs and tours's incompetency that I got the pre-sale link this morning.

I was upset to see people on twitter who hadn't had it made clear to them that funds might not be released in time after the ballot for them to buy tickets in the general sale today, and were consequently unable to buy tickets at all. That really sucks for those guys. Perhaps more time could have been left between pre-sale and general sale to allow for these funds to be released on time? It just seems like a band who spend so much time going on about fat cats could have more consideration for fans who don't have piles of cash on hand in case of a last-minute tour announcement.

I know that the ballot was really as fair as it can be (although if truth be told, I preferred the unique code system used on the last tour which seemed far more efficient, and perhaps muse.mu registrations could have been suspended for a period after the pre-sale was opened), but the process was a headache, and having to put up with Crowdsurge lying to their customers was pretty uncool. But you live and learn.

Thanks for your apology Sam. I understand that this system was an effort to give us all an opportunity to obtain tickets but I don't think a lottery is helpful to genuine fans as there are now hundreds of ticktes on sale at inflated prices on ebay, viagogo and seatwave. In this age of technology, I would hope that a very simple fan club system could be administered; football clubs seem to manage this quite well and their systems may be of assistance for future ticket sales.

Dear Muse Members,

We've read all your comments regarding the muse.mu member ticket application process and we'd just like to say that we're sorry that quite a few of you seem to have had a negative experience.

This of course was far from what we had intended when we launched the application. What we wanted to do was to give you all a less stressful and fairer way of accessing tickets.

We hope that by now Crowdsurge have dealt with any outstanding problems. If they haven't, please contact us directly on help@muse.mu or sam@muse.mu and we will do what we can to help.

While we can see that many of you here have incurred problems with the pre-sale, overall the majority of people do seem to have had a decent experience. Having said that, we are listening to your views and will think very carefully before running pre-sales in this manner again.

Sam

Thanks for acknowledging that things didn't go as well as would have been hoped for.

Despite your intentions, the process was stressful for many, even for some of those who were successful.

The lack of certainty as to when you'd know if you were successful and what would happen if you weren't was a worry.

We had no idea there'd be a pre-sale following the lottery.

We didn't have much time to organise ourselves following the results of the lottery. People who have jobs had issues trying to get tickets through the pre-sale and general sale as it was all so last minute. It was pretty disruptive and I'm sure I recall there being an evening pre-sale in the past, maybe it was Teignmouth? That was brilliant.

Also, there were the issues of people who wanted good seated tickets being excluded from the lottery.

I don't quite see where the majority who had a decent experience are. I suppose those who joined the board last week and won tickets in the lottery are pretty chuffed though.

Thanks for considering what people have said and for bearing it in mind for the future though. It's appreciated. :happy:

I rarely post on the forums, but wanted to speak up about the recent sales and I agree with a lot that has been said here about the pre-sale and general sale for this tour.

As has already been mentioned, anyone can sign up and get into the pre-sale, you don't have to be a fan. Therefore the pre-sale didn't end up being for fans, as within hours of the 1st emails going out to successful members tickets were up on GetMeIn & eBay.

I'm also wondering how many tickets for the post pre-sale pre-sale were even available, as they were gone in a flash. I actually managed to get the tickets I wanted allocated only to be told that they'd been sold whilst I was entering my details, as mentioned I think this happened for a lot of applicants. Within 30mins of the 2nd pre-sale starting there were over 1500 tickets for sale just on GetMeIn alone for the UK gigs, with more being added all the time. Both pre-sales were for fans.

General sale came around and again I was allocated my tickets (twice) only to be told yet again that they'd sold whilst entering my details. I know others that this happened to, some people couldn't even get the Gigs & Tours website to load/refresh at all.

I understand that organising a pre-sale is difficult and to please everyone is nigh on impossible. As others have mentioned, the pre-sale for the previous tour seemed to work better, although you must try differing methods to know that.

I realise that the band/management may not have any control over the allocation of tickets direct to resellers, but just looking at the numbers available through secondary sellers markets I believe that they were allocated some directly (either from promotors or venues or more likely both). This made it all the more dificult for fans to get tickets at face value, leaving many now with no option than to pay over the odds from the 'touts' or not see the band this time around.

It's good that you have started this topic and it's appreciated by us all, it's a sign that you are listening to what people are saying. I only hope that all the comments, good and bad, are taken onboard and things are done differently next time around. The fact that people have missed out on the chance to try for tickets due to funds still being held from the .mu sale is very poor.

Sorry if I've ranted but I needed to.

P.S. At the time of writing this over 4000 tickets for all UK gigs are up on GetMeIn, not counting eBay & Viagogo....

Nice one! It was definitely a better system than no presale system. It's just annoying that there's no definitive way to stop touts other than an ID system, which I'm guessing is rather expensive.

It wouldn't be so expensive if the cardholder names were just printed on the tickets... Then you just show them ID/the card as you go in...

If it were to go by that system, it would also be fair to have a returns policy, so there is a possibility you could even buy tickets on the door, should people have returned some.

It wouldn't be so expensive if the cardholder names were just printed on the tickets... Then you just show them ID/the card as you go in...

If it were to go by that system, it would also be fair to have a returns policy, so there is a possibility you could even buy tickets on the door, should people have returned some.

What they said.

That return policy already exists for artist who have nominative or cardholder names on the tickets: http://www.thetickettrust.com/Store/

They are authorised by the artist/promoter to change the name on ticket confirmation so people can sell them if they can't go anymore.

Just out of curiosity Sam, is there anyway management would be able to remove tout listing on ebay or is that beyond your control

I'd like to hear the answer to this too. I believe technically, the gig ticket is 'owned' by the retailer - whether that be Muse's management, SJM or the venue itself I don't know - and they have the right to cancel or withdraw that ticket at any time.

As to whether eBay/Viagogo/GetMeIn would share customer information etc with Muse's management; that is another question. I suspect that due to the data protection act, this wouldn't be allowed, unless there were mitigating circumstances (e.g. counterfeit tickets). It's such a depressing situation.

I'd like to hear the answer to this too. I believe technically, the gig ticket is 'owned' by the retailer - whether that be Muse's management, SJM or the venue itself I don't know - and they have the right to cancel or withdraw that ticket at any time.

As to whether eBay/Viagogo/GetMeIn would share customer information etc with Muse's management; that is another question. I suspect that due to the data protection act, this wouldn't be allowed, unless there were mitigating circumstances (e.g. counterfeit tickets). It's such a depressing situation.

I would be interested to know how many tickets SJM (who I believe is the promoter for Muse concerts) allocated to viagogo and seatwave? There were on the list of promoters on the despatches programme known to make deals with secondary sites so I am curious to know how many 1000's of tickets never ever went up during the general sale and were given to viagogo and seatwave to sell at extortionate prices.

Something tells me we won't have an answer to that.

If, as many people are claiming, money was withdrawn from their accounts and/or still being held after their applications were unsuccessful, it would also be interesting to know if that money was held in an interest-bearing account.

I would be interested to know how many tickets SJM (who I believe is the promoter for Muse concerts) allocated to viagogo and seatwave? There were on the list of promoters on the despatches programme known to make deals with secondary sites so I am curious to know how many 1000's of tickets never ever went up during the general sale and were given to viagogo and seatwave to sell at extortionate prices.

Something tells me we won't have an answer to that.

Indeed.

For anyone who hasn't read it, this is a really interesting article.

Archived