Touts already on ebay

No1Skelly

How can this be that tickets for Muse shows were on sale on ebay at 07:30 this morning ?

Is there no-one who will stop this carpet bagging and profiteering from genuine fans ? As I understand it tickets are non-transferable yet they are already on sale for over £100 per ticket.

They were already on ebay yesterday. It's just that this kind of pre-sale didn't prevent touts at all. They should have done what Radiohead did, a very restrictive but touts-proof pre-sale.

Maybe for GA, but for the rest of the crowd that was a huge issue for Radiohead gigs.

Sites such as Viagogo and various others actually get an allocation from the gig promoters, as well as buy up tickets for gigs, which are then sold on as extortionate prices, wouldn't be surprised if Ebay was any different. Touts are far more organised than the typical fan. The fans need to stop buying from these people, simple as that really.

Sites such as Viagogo and various others actually get an allocation from the gig promoters, as well as buy up tickets for gigs, which are then sold on as extortionate prices, wouldn't be surprised if Ebay was any different. Touts are far more organised than the typical fan. The fans need to stop buying from these people, simple as that really.

I never understood why Viagogo and Seatwave receive tickets from the gig promoters and are still allowed to sell at higher prices. That's legitimate touting

The way the business is these days works really well for concert promoters. Selling a chunk of tickets to the likes of Viagogo helps ensure all the gigs get sold out. They'll sell tickets on at a profit. Maybe not all tickets end up getting sold and the venues may not even be full by the time the concert takes place. Tickets go to waste (as shown on the Dispatches episode about this) and fans are screwed over.

If I can't get a Muse ticket at face value, I will not be paying anyone's rip-off price. It's not worth it and it's feeding the touts.

• 5 months later...

Trying to think of foolproof ways to stop touting and one I came up with is for the ticket to be printed with an identity code such as the person's driving license or passport number so that not only is the ticket scanned in at time of entry but the ID as well. Touts don't want to go to Muse gigs, they're just scumbags trying to fleece money out of people who a lot of the time can't afford the already high prices being charged.

If I ever miss out on a Muse ticket I will never go to the touts. I quite happily call them scumbags when I see them stood outside the venue.

Anyway, what do people think of this idea? There are bound to be some flaws in it but it's something that could work.

This is not a new idea. They've already been doing that last year for example at a lot of German venues with different bands. When you order them you have to give them the id card number. Also for everybody else you're buying tickets for. But of course there needs to be a way to give the ticket away in case you get sick or something. So for 5€ you could just change the name and therefore touts buy them anyway.

• 2 years later...

I'm disgusted, I have just posted something about this. There are 6 of us who have been meeting up for Muse gigs since 2001. This morning was the first time everything sold out and we didn't get a look in. Now they are selling for over £150 on EBAY each. This really needs addressing, it's becoming serious and denying genuine and loyal fans from being able to get tickets and lining the pockets of the greedy who don't have an interest in music.. It needs to stop. We are really unhappy today at not being able to get tickets. When Kasabian went on tour last year. They hid the codes in their album. Genuine fans will always buy their favourite music. That seemed to work well. Will be putting something on NME forum later, as I love going to gigs and this becoming ridiculous.. Grrr

They hid the codes in their album. Genuine fans will always buy their favourite music. That seemed to work well.
But still, enough people would sell their codes, I'm afraid. And what about people who get those albums as a gift? So no, that's not a perfect system either.

Tickets for Dublin on Sale for €350 for two standing tickets,same price for sitting.Really bummed to see.My chances are slim for friday now,especially if this is what people want to do with their tickets.If I had one,Id be holding onto it and appreciate the oppurtunity to see such a talented band for their talents,rather than thinking...how much money can I make from other people.its quite sad as a major fan than this is what were up against :(

But actually, he/she has a point. I have no doubt there are a lot of touts who are actually muse.mu members just to get the tickets in the pre-sale. So, you'd need to either do something like the codes in the physical CDs (or in another form for digital downloads) or you need to enable a system that kicks out touts. Maybe something with a mandatory post every quarter year or something; or combine the members and forum area... buuut even though people here are more easily recogniseable (and tbh, a tout who puts in a great effort to appear as a normal person here for weeks and months is at least working for his money, even though it's still a shit thing to do) , it would require manpower or technical solutions to enable it.

tl;dr better would be good, the 'how' is a hard question.

In a perfect world, people would genuinely just buy tickets to go to gigs they wanted to go to but unfortunately not the case.I would also have an incredible grand piano too but back to the topic.its crazy :eek: and the price of the U2 tickets being resold online is just pure extortion!

Just a bit letdown than many musical musers are going to miss out.Id feel very sorry for anyone who put so much time into pretending to like something to scam others blindly just for money.There is more to life than that!!!!

When Biffy Clyro did their special end-of-year shows last year they not only put in place anti-tout measures (every ticket being in the buyer's name and requiring matching ID to be presented at the venue) but they (well, their management) actively sought out tickets which were being resold at higher than face value and voided those tickets so that actual fans could then get hold of them. This system worked pretty perfectly and it would be great to see more bands do this.

Edit: Obviously it would be almost impossible to track down and void every single overpriced ticket for huge arena/stadium gigs, but I'm sure it would at least make the touts' job (if you can call it a job) harder.

I rate people who buy from them even lower :awesome:

Well, there's a bit of a difference between the people. Some people are forced to because they've practically had their ticket stolen by a tout! Then there are arseholes that have too much money, buy an overpriced ticket and just talk over the band...except for the actual song they know.

I don't blame people who buy from them at all. The only other choice for a lot of people is missing out, and I don't expect them to make that decision out of principle, when this is a LEGAL thing to do. If a band or their management refuses to even try to do something to counter it, they are to blame as well, though.

It's super common here for people to scalp even kid's toys, and it sickens me.

Every morning during Nov/Dec you'll see these soulless bastards lined up outside the stores blocking real people from getting the big holiday items, and forcing parents to either pay $200 for a $50 toy, or come up with a good story on why Santa couldn't get their kid the one thing they wanted.

Nauseating.

There's quite a bit that could be done to at least lessen this problem, but there's just this "well, that's capitalism!" attitude towards it that really angers me.

And stores, businesses, (and probably bands,) look at it like "a sale is a sale."

Oh, and all the false demand of scalper hording helps create a REAL demand...

Well, there's a bit of a difference between the people. Some people are forced to because they've practically had their ticket stolen by a tout! Then there are arseholes that have too much money, buy an overpriced ticket and just talk over the band...except for the actual song they know.
How are they forced exactly?

Trying to think of foolproof ways to stop touting and one I came up with is for the ticket to be printed with an identity code such as the person's driving license or passport number so that not only is the ticket scanned in at time of entry but the ID as well. Touts don't want to go to Muse gigs, they're just scumbags trying to fleece money out of people who a lot of the time can't afford the already high prices being charged.

If I ever miss out on a Muse ticket I will never go to the touts. I quite happily call them scumbags when I see them stood outside the venue.

Anyway, what do people think of this idea? There are bound to be some flaws in it but it's something that could work.

The whole scale of these shows would make such measures unworkable, can you imagine the time it would take to process everyone? I t worked with the small shows earlier in the year, everyone got put through really quickly (at the Barrowlands anyway), but unfortunately that wouldn't work with an arena tour.

I agree that it is shite and very unfair to the fans that genuinely want to go to the gigs though.

Archived