2012.11.01 - MEN Arena, Manchester, UK

L.

In some concerts I have been to there is a long wait between the support act and the main act but this did not happen in this concert. I was impressed how quickly the technicians prepared the stage when the support act had finished. Muse are one of those bands who know how to play a crowd.

Got a handshake from Matt!! :D :D Or as I called it at the time, a 'hand grab'!
Anya told me earlier today you succeeded, well done :LOL:

Must say I'm feeling uber jealous of everyone who went to this gig, seemed like it was amazing.

So annoyed that I won't get to see them again on this tour grrrrrrrrrrr

Anya told me earlier today you succeeded, well done :LOL:

Must say I'm feeling uber jealous of everyone who went to this gig, seemed like it was amazing.

So annoyed that I won't get to see them again on this tour grrrrrrrrrrr

Thanks! :D

It was an awesome night. Don't worry, though, there's always next year's stadium shows (fingers crossed).

Second Muse gig for us (first one was LCCC); we got lucky with the ticket lottery, and ended up one row back from the barrier on Matt's side (and that was through luck too since we only got to the main doors at 17:50).

Sorry, won't be rushing out to get The Joy Formidable's new album when it comes out. Could barely hear Ritzy's voice, and got sick and tired of Rhydian's spitting. Moving on...

Fantastic gig from Muse; loved everything they did! Great light show too. Highlights for us included Time is Running Out and (strangely) Survival, which we didn't much like first time we heard it. We had a really good view of Matt for much of the time, and Chris when he came over to our side. Dom seemed a long way back though. Tried to take photos with my old digital compact, but not great results; I wished I had had been able to take a decent camera in.

8155051801_472975e4b1_b.jpg

Didn't like the camera boom that kept partially blocking our view (although the pictures from it were great).

And finally, to end on a positive note, we thought that the pyramid was spectacular. What a great night out in Manchester.

What camera did you use? The quality is great!

Its a Sony DSC-H10, have had it over 4 years now but still doing the job! ;)

That would be hilarious. I was filmed a lot of times headbanging and singing and squealing, so I'll be laughing at myself if those clips ever surface :LOL::$

Yeah we were filmed loads too, friend in the seats saw us on the screens a few times too. Would be well embarrassing! :LOL:

last night was ammmaazzziiiinnnnng.

Me and my friend, Kim, had an hour and a half drive to Manchester from Barnsley and got to the arena at 3.30, there was litterally us and 10 other people if that, at the entrance. So we got to barrier at the left hand side. Never thought we'd get to the front :' )

Well to cut a long story short, Matt shook my hand 😍 and I nearly died. Got loads of merch but we didn't get our tickets back :-( nevermind though! Who else thought the stage visuals were awesome!!!? :3

Im at the hunts bank entrance there is no one here. Is there another queue?

Me and my friend were at that entrance since 3 pm and it was litterally empty untill about 5 when it started filling up. My first time at Manchester arena so I thought we'd gone to the wrong entrance, turns out there was 3! :D

That would be hilarious. I was filmed a lot of times headbanging and singing and squealing, so I'll be laughing at myself if those clips ever surface :LOL::$

They were taking lots of pictures of the crowd and were constantly in our faces.

I wonder what they are going to do with the footage...

Fantastic gig...much better than the Liverpool show 3 years ago! The band were on fire and seem like they're having a great time on stage, it was good to see Matt interact so much with the crowd, he's really come out of his shell on this tour! Manchester was my 8th Muse gig and though Wembley 2010 and Leeds last year will take some beating...this was pretty close!

+ Setlist length was spot on.

+ All of the new songs work really well live, especially Supremacy, Follow Me and Explorers.

+ So happy they played MotP, Liquid State and Falling Down (which sounds amazing on piano).

+ Being so close to Matt and Chris when they came to the front of the audience.

+ The stage and visuals are spectacular, probably the best looking production they've ever done.

+ The Head Up riff after New Born was insane.

- Would have preferred SS over New Born, but Matt's final scream and Head Up made up for it...I'm just nitpicking really!

- I thought it could have been a tad louder for those on the floor, but again, no real biggie.

I didn't get quite the same feeling that Matt interacted a lot with the crowd (compared to his comedy performance at Radio 2 :chuckle:). I was at the front and he was singing with his eyes tightly shut the whole time. When he came down to shake people's hands he moved super fast and security were in the way for a lot of people. Sounds like he did reach a fair few people on here though.

He didn't say much banter. Something about being a bunch of Southerners near the start. He speaks too fast to be understood most of the time.

He did make sure he faced different sides of the arena at different times, pointing to people in the seats far away. He said 'Are you alright at the back?' to the people far away in the back seats and did lots to face the rear view seats. He also did a quick, funny dance at the start of Madness.

I wish I could watch it all again, it was a bit surreal!

Edit: to add photo

8150187512_8c67c4cc63_c.jpg

Me and my friend were at that entrance since 3 pm and it was litterally empty untill about 5 when it started filling up. My first time at Manchester arena so I thought we'd gone to the wrong entrance, turns out there was 3! :D

yeah I was there, so happy we actually ended up getting to the barrier

I didn't get quite the same feeling that Matt interacted a lot with the crowd (compared to his comedy performance at Radio 2 :chuckle:). I was at the front and he was singing with his eyes tightly shut the whole time. When he came down to shake people's hands he moved super fast and security were in the way for a lot of people. Sounds like he did reach a fair few people on here though.

He didn't say much banter. Something about being a bunch of Southerners near the start. He speaks too fast to be understood most of the time.

He did make sure he faced different sides of the arena at different times, pointing to people in the seats far away. He said 'Are you alright at the back?' to the people far away in the back seats and did lots to face the rear view seats. He also did a quick, funny dance at the start of Madness.

I wish I could watch it all again, it was a bit surreal!

Edit: to add photo

8150187512_8c67c4cc63_c.jpg

Matt was unusually chatty at the O2 second night :happy: not quite as chatty at Birmingham, though he did comment on someone's hair. :D I think the main difference though is in the style of performances when he hasn't got the guitar. It's largely staged but it's fun and everyone, including the band seem to be enjoying it.

I like it when Matt sings with his eyes closed. It makes it seem more private and emotional somehow, allows us to watch him without feeling uncomfortable, without feeling like we're invading his space. Not that I've ever been close enough to make eye contact with Matt, I have occasionally with other singers and I find it uncomfortable when a singer sings with their eyes open but doesn't make any eye contact with the audience. It feels unnatural. It's better to watch them from afar. From what people have said, I think Matt does make eye contact when he opens his eyes, at least sometimes. It's possibly when he's not actually singing though.

Songs from the new album sound great, especially 'Survival' and 'Supremacy' two of the best live songs I've heard from muse. Did a far better job performing it than the earlier gigs on the tour. Explorers seemed well received and has a worth spot on the setlist in my opinion.

Also, I rolled up at 6pm and still found myself 4 rows from the front. :D

Summary:

+ Setlist length

+ Sound quality was brilliant - probably the best I've heard from muse

+ Stage - although I think I prefer the towers - more of a spectacle.

+ 'New Born' falsetto

+ 'Survival' and 'Supremacy' sounded MEGA!

- Would of preferred SS and Hysteria.

- Don't like Matt walking around with the mic (not unique to this gig of course). Also seems to be playing less and less of his instruments. Noticed he didn't play the verse of 'Starlight' on guitar...

- UD and Resistance are still being played. UD killed the atmosphere as usual (again not really unique to this gig)

Took over 500 pics last night lol! Narrowed it down to 58 to put on Flickr. My top 4 are as follows:

8146532663_729fe87613.jpg

8146543369_b0bc0e0ddd.jpg

8146593858_2715fb963d.jpg

8146560505_ae59dc6a9b.jpg

LOVED Explorers ... brought a tear to my eye! Song I could have done without? Falling Down. Song I would replace FD with? Butterflies and Hurricanes :D

I was there at MEN. Your pics are amazing; good memories!:)

We were at 120. Thank god it was totally EPIC! I must say this. I loved the crowd so much they were standing from the early beginning. I enjoyed it so much. Matt was mostly interacting the rear view which was uttermost cool thing happened. Plus we paid for just few quids.

Sadly though I think me and my friend were kinda like living in the year 2008 or 2009. We only can sing along with the old songs : Starlight, Knight of Cydonia and Time is running out. LOL. I just though I was 17 again. :p

P/S : For the lady behind the barrier with orange hair I must say this ( I dont know if you're seeing this ). You're truly visually amazing for a concert. From our place sometimes we saw you hair was like glowing in the dark. So cool of that.:)

My friends iPhone batteries were out last night so no memorial picture. ( T T ). Hoping if it were recorded, us would be in the spotlight. lool.

Thanks guys ... you guys are so awesome!!

P/S : For the lady behind the barrier with orange hair I must say this ( I dont know if you're seeing this ). You're truly visually amazing for a concert. From our place sometimes we saw you hair was like glowing in the dark. So cool of that.:)

Haha I agree about that wig! Looked so cool! Also remember seeing a guy on barrier dressed as a nun I think...

No, both me and my friend had shorts on with our bad tops:3

I have ginger hair and she has jet black hair, that's only way you'd recognise us I think xD

I am pretty sure I was stood directly behind you, cos there was two girls in front of me one with ginger hair the other with black, so yeah probably was you.

Haha I agree about that wig! Looked so cool! Also remember seeing a guy on barrier dressed as a nun I think...

I was with them :D I'll make sure they know they were noticed :LOL:

Awesome night, can't believe my parents finally let me go to a proper gig :awesome: Now I just can't wait for my next Muse gig :D

Archived