So Glaswegians, what other upcoming gigs do you lot have planned? I need to start planning out my gig calendar for my stay there. :)

So Glaswegians, what other upcoming gigs do you lot have planned? I need to start planning out my gig calendar for my stay there. :)

I've got none but venues you need to go to after the SECC (to see how it is the worst venue in Glasgow) are Barrowlands, O2 ABC and King Tuts Wah Wah Hut (for intimate gigs). Glasgow is really underrated in comparison to London as a real gig city, I think once the Hydro opens up we'll go up in the rankings.

Plus Hampden has much more of an atmosphere than Wembley, just much less capacity.

Tuts is outstanding, ABC can be hit and miss, Barrowlands is only good if you get right in amongst it at the front - It thrives on atmosphere, not sound quality. The Academy is, if the right band play in it, fucking outstanding - saw Brand New there on Valentines day and it was better than their Barrowlands gig years ago. You've got Edinburgh just an hour away on the train as well, and they have the picture house, which I love as a venue. The Oran Mor has 2 fantastic rooms as well, but if the sound engineer's not on the ball for it, it can echo like fuck (old church, basically). The ABC2 if ace for gigs as well, seen senses fail in there and it is TINY.

As for actual gigs coming up, I have a ticket for Enter Shikari in Edinburgh at the end of August,

I'm tempted to get tickets for (If I can get the money together):

Sucioperro at King Tuts, Billy Bragg and KT Tunstall at the ABC, We are the Ocean at King Tuts, The Fratellis at the ABC, Andy Mckee, Preston Reed and Jon Gomm at the Oran Mor in September

Newton Faulkner at the ABC, Human Don't Be Angry & Miaoux Miaoux in Paisley (or) Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra at the Oran Mor in October

And So I Watch You From Afar at the ABC2, Patrick Wolf at the Cottiers Theatre, Menomena at The Captian's Rest, Maximo Park at the ABC and Animal Collective at the ABC in November

The Hives at the ABC and for Admiral Fallow and for The Twilight Sad in December at the Barrowlands

+ a Muse ticket haha

I was thinking about visiting Scotland next month, but since Muse aren't coming to Portugal I could change my trip and go late October instead.

Do you guys think that I could do some nice sightseeing and enjoy the country around that time or the weather would make it a bit difficult?

Tuts is outstanding, ABC can be hit and miss, Barrowlands is only good if you get right in amongst it at the front - It thrives on atmosphere, not sound quality. The Academy is, if the right band play in it, fucking outstanding - saw Brand New there on Valentines day and it was better than their Barrowlands gig years ago. You've got Edinburgh just an hour away on the train as well, and they have the picture house, which I love as a venue. The Oran Mor has 2 fantastic rooms as well, but if the sound engineer's not on the ball for it, it can echo like fuck (old church, basically). The ABC2 if ace for gigs as well, seen senses fail in there and it is TINY.

As for actual gigs coming up, I have a ticket for Enter Shikari in Edinburgh at the end of August,

I'm tempted to get tickets for (If I can get the money together):

Sucioperro at King Tuts, Billy Bragg and KT Tunstall at the ABC, We are the Ocean at King Tuts, The Fratellis at the ABC, Andy Mckee, Preston Reed and Jon Gomm at the Oran Mor in September

Newton Faulkner at the ABC, Human Don't Be Angry & Miaoux Miaoux in Paisley (or) Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra at the Oran Mor in October

And So I Watch You From Afar at the ABC2, Patrick Wolf at the Cottiers Theatre, Menomena at The Captian's Rest, Maximo Park at the ABC and Animal Collective at the ABC in November

The Hives at the ABC and for Admiral Fallow and for The Twilight Sad in December at the Barrowlands

+ a Muse ticket haha

Forgot the Academy, saw Chase & Status there, good venue. I've never been to a gig at Barrowlands which isn't a rowdy one (ie. Dropkick Murphy, the Vaccines). O2 ABC is great, as long as it's not fucking Jellybaby.

I was thinking about visiting Scotland next month, but since Muse aren't coming to Portugal I could change my trip and go late October instead.

Do you guys think that I could do some nice sightseeing and enjoy the country around that time or the weather would make it a bit difficult?

One thing you need to know is in October it will be 10-15c, but the rain then is as common as it is in our "summer." Hit and a miss really, plenty to do indoors historically, shopping and art-wise in Glasgow and Edinburgh. Wouldn't worry about the weather, unless you visit St.Andrews which is a must on a sunny day!

Out of pure interest where do people here go clubbing? I go to Kushion and I have to admit I have a guilty pleasure for the Garage on a Saturday,

Thanks for the suggestions! Right now I have only have tickets for in Glasgow: Fun./Walk the Moon, Bloc Party, and The Hives. I also have a ticket for night 1 of Twin Atlantic I need to sell (PM me if interested). I want to do Sucioperro but it'll conflict with Fresher's so idk.... Then there's like Three Blind Wolves, Band of Horses, ASIWYFA, Alt-J, Django Django, PABH, Alabama Shakes, Band of Skulls, etc... I really want to wait for Biffy to announce their tour first before I go gig-ticket crazy. DILEMMA.

ASIWYFA is ABC, if I find someone to go with I'm going!

I REALLY want to go, but PABH is the same night too I think. Ugh. Gotta think about it. And like I said, waiting on Biffy! Self control!

I REALLY want to go, but PABH is the same night too I think. Ugh. Gotta think about it. And like I said, waiting on Biffy! Self control!

Not seeing Biffy this time. In Glasgow they are loved by all ages, and the SECC is a magnet for gig-goers who are in general, wankers. You might be able to deal with it because you haven't taken the culture in yet, but fuck me, I remember pushing 5 foot "14" year olds around by accident in a few mosh pits, and they just went flying. Like honestly, I don't mind the songs but Many of Horror and Bubbles have fucked the Glaswegian crowd up. Big time.

Not seeing Biffy this time. In Glasgow they are loved by all ages, and the SECC is a magnet for gig-goers who are in general, wankers. You might be able to deal with it because you haven't taken the culture in yet, but fuck me, I remember pushing 5 foot "14" year olds around by accident in a few mosh pits, and they just went flying. Like honestly, I don't mind the songs but Many of Horror and Bubbles have fucked the Glaswegian crowd up. Big time.

Well, I'd probably be center barrier, so as long as I have something to hold on to I'm generally fine. I'm more worried about the flying piss. Gross, jfc, I got hit at Muse at LCCC. Not. Cool. Maybe I'll wear a poncho indoors.

I've only been to one Glasgow gig before, Joy Formidable with ASIWYFA at the Oran Mor. I liked it!

Forgot the Academy, saw Chase & Status there, good venue. I've never been to a gig at Barrowlands which isn't a rowdy one (ie. Dropkick Murphy, the Vaccines). O2 ABC is great, as long as it's not fucking Jellybaby.

Out of pure interest where do people here go clubbing? I go to Kushion and I have to admit I have a guilty pleasure for the Garage on a Saturday,

Oh fuck, Jellybaby :LOL: Glasgow could be made 1000x better if you lined up about half the folk who go to it in front of a wall and shot them.

I went to see belle and Sebastian at the barrowlands just before Christmas 2010 I think it was. Was a great gig, but there was still a little something missing from the usual exp. that, and the 2 best gigs I've saw there, I've spent time at the back (which you can do at the academy and tuts no prob) and was underwhelmed - it tends to err on the side of underfilling the room when sold out as opposed to the abc/academy approach

As for clubs, depends on the night - Friday is the ABC, all the way. Saturdays depends on who I'm with - usually between Cathouse, the classic grand or, on rare occasions, the garage. Maggie may's is good to just sit and drink in though,

Well, I'd probably be center barrier, so as long as I have something to hold on to I'm generally fine. I'm more worried about the flying piss. Gross, jfc, I got hit at Muse at LCCC. Not. Cool. Maybe I'll wear a poncho indoors.

I've only been to one Glasgow gig before, Joy Formidable with ASIWYFA at the Oran Mor. I liked it!

Wouldn't worry about cups of piss in the SECC, they're more likely to piss their pants first

Oh fuck, Jellybaby :LOL: Glasgow could be made 1000x better if you lined up about half the folk who go to it in front of a wall and shot them.

I went to see belle and Sebastian at the barrowlands just before Christmas 2010 I think it was. Was a great gig, but there was still a little something missing from the usual exp. that, and the 2 best gigs I've saw there, I've spent time at the back (which you can do at the academy and tuts no prob) and was underwhelmed - it tends to err on the side of underfilling the room when sold out as opposed to the abc/academy approach

As for clubs, depends on the night - Friday is the ABC, all the way. Saturdays depends on who I'm with - usually between Cathouse, the classic grand or, on rare occasions, the garage. Maggie may's is good to just sit and drink in though,

Friday at the ABC is too damn expensive, with the budget I'm on and currently being an unemployed student I can only do cheap(ish) drink nights :(

Friday at the ABC is too damn expensive, with the budget I'm on and currently being an unemployed student I can only do cheap(ish) drink nights :(

What, Prop? pre drink before, stick to vodka & coke (usual drink for me while i'm out anyway) and you're golden, Plus if you time it right, you can sign up to the mailing list (fake email obv) and you can pick up a few free passes, easily

Wouldn't worry about cups of piss in the SECC, they're more likely to piss their pants first

You sure? Guys tried to do it behind me at the O2 for Kasabian. I figure I should worry about it at any UK gig. Americans don't do that. Never seen it happen here.

Had an email to confirm my Manchester tickets are on the way from Crowdsurge pre-sale. Has anyone had their tickets for SECC from Crowdsurge yet?

Had an email to confirm my Manchester tickets are on the way from Crowdsurge pre-sale. Has anyone had their tickets for SECC from Crowdsurge yet?

Nope :( you got an email!? I thought we only got them 14 days before :erm:

Nope :( you got an email!? I thought we only got them 14 days before :erm:

Yep they arrived the next day. Just wondered about the SECC because it's 8 days before the Manchester gig!!!