Remember when Supermassive Black Hole came out?

Clunge

What happened when SMBH came out?

uhm

:LOL: there is some if you dig for it. I think the initial reaction thread is missing though...

Try this one by Tom...

http://board.muse.mu/time-machine/showthread.php?t=30398&highlight=supermassive+black+hole

You're welcome.

Also:

"i was thinking... imagine this is actually the b-side of the actual supermassive black hole song" :LOL:

I'm guessing some people hated Origin of Symmetry when that came out, way before TiRO's, SMBH's and Uprising's.

Either way dubstep, a genre I find uncomfortable to listen to, is a worrying development. Heavy rock with an electronic feel might work though - something like the Prodigy or a heavier version of Kasabian, possibly. But a 2 minute trailer is not the way to judge - an actual track is.

Can't be any worse than Guiding Light though, can it?

...it could get as cheesy as NSC :eek:

What was wrong with Supermassive? It was so catchy at first listen.

Now I overlistened it but back in the day, it was a good experience. I don't get why people complained about it. It was just simply a catchy song.

I am so tempted of transcribing here the swearing wall of text I wrote in my diary as I listened to SMBH for the first time. I think that "bloody sellouts" was the softest thing I wrote. Since then, my views on the band and the song have changed... but not that much :p

I am so tempted of transcribing here the swearing wall of text I wrote in my diary as I listened to SMBH for the first time. I think that "bloody sellouts" was the softest thing I wrote. Since then, my views on the band and the song have changed... but not that much :p

That's not a bad idea, I might do that for the new album as I listen to it.

Already convinced you'll hate it that much?

No, I've got a good feeling about the album actually :p I just think it'll be interesting to be able to look back at exactly what I thought of songs as I was first listening to them.

No, I've got a good feeling about the album actually :p I just think it'll be interesting to be able to look back at exactly what I thought of songs as I was first listening to them.

That is a rather good idea. I might try that myself, but chances are I'll just write everything I think on here instead.

You can tell I had no Internet connection back in early 2006 :chuckle: But I'd like to resume the tradition. I still remember the text I wrote about Jeff Buckley's "Grace", saying how it was "a shitty magnum opus, just like "OK Computer:" I like it but it's booooring!".

Bless.

SMBH will always be too hard to judge, because I struggle to really percieve it outside of the "twilight" debacle even now...

I still see the horrible movie clips playing behind my eyes when I hear it.

But, I know deep down that it's really not a bad song, and I never thought it was.

Hell, I liked the 2nd Law trailer a great deal. Thought it was a bit cheesy the first time, watched it again and really got what was being said, and thought it was spectacular. Never understood the rage against the "wub wub."

I sing along with Guiding Light when I'm alone, and the lights are off. And only recently (through this message board, mostly) learned that the song, in fact, sucks (who knew!)

Of course, that makes me really concerned about my almost instinctual aversion to Survival right now...

Never understood the SMBH reaction. I remember at the time arguing that it wasn't a huge departure so much as a cooler version of The Groove. And I stand by that.

TIRO I could kind of understand, as it was a bit more of a straightforward, radio-friendly rock song than Muse fans had been used to up to that point. Still a good song though and hardly worth the doom and gloom, or cries of "the end of Muse!" that came with it.

This reaction comes with every album. Would love to have seen Showbiz fans reacting to Bliss or New Born!

SMBH will always be too hard to judge, because I struggle to really percieve it outside of the "twilight" debacle even now...

I still see the horrible movie clips playing behind my eyes when I hear it.

rage against the "wub wub."

SMBH was before Twilight. I have to admit I'm still not really sure what Twilight is, and I really don't care. Sounds like a series of shit books and a series of shit films which I haven't read or seen, and only really effected (or indeed affected) a tiny proportion of the population who happened to be in their early teens at the time of their release. I'm sorry if you fell into that small category, but feel consoled that almost no one will care about it or really remember it in 5-10 years time. In terms of SMBH, get over it.

"Rage Against the Wub Wub" is a brilliant summary of it. :LOL: I still hear as much RATM as Dubstep in there, myself. Even if the robot cracks me up. Oddly I disliked the strings at the beginning more. I just found them a bit dull.

SMBH was before Twilight. I have to admit I'm still not really sure what Twilight is, and I really don't care. Sounds like a series of shit books and a series of shit films which I haven't read or seen, and only really effected (or indeed affected) a tiny proportion of the population who happened to be in their early teens at the time of their release. I'm sorry if you fell into that small category, but feel consoled that almost no one will care about it or really remember it in 5-10 years time. In terms of SMBH, get over it.

"Rage Against the Wub Wub" is a brilliant summary of it. :LOL: I still hear as much RATM as Dubstep in there, myself. Even if the robot cracks me up. Oddly I disliked the strings at the beginning more. I just found them a bit dull.

Unfortunately, for many people on my side of the world, SMBH wasn't before Twilight, which maybe I should have clarified.

I'll admit to having read the books, but only in a moment of weakness, as I very much - at the time - cared what my friends and coworkers thought, and I didn't want to stand out. I *maybe* would have liked the books - back when I was 13.

We were not 13.

SMBH, and in fact Muse, became really closely associated with Twilight to the extent that they were called a "Twilight band" by pretty much everyone around me, and it was automatically assumed that I was "into that." It really didn't help that I was lying about "sort of liking" the books so I didn't have to bother alienating my friends and bosses.

So yes, it's a personal problem. And one I really learned a lot from, to be honest.

But, it's still hard to separate the two in my head.

(I am really in a seriously odd mood today...)

The difference between Survival and other songs that evoked a strong reactive voice is that previous this was because the songs were so different in terms of genre. People reacted badly to TIRO, SBH, Unsustainable, because they were very different to the Muse they had gotten used to.

Survival is nothing new. There's no new genre included in it. It's just not very good...

Archived