Remember when Supermassive Black Hole came out?

Clunge

Problem is, you'll always get this sort of reactionary love/hate and sweeping generalisation based on a teeny clip that isn't really representative of what the album is actually going to sound like. It happens every time. People are thick, innit ;).

When SMBH came out, lots of people thought Muse was bringing out a pop/dance album that would be utter shite and some started burning their Muse t-shirts and rioting (okay not quite, but nearly!) The end product was nothing like that. In fact, BH&R is so varied that you can't really categorise it as one style. Same goes for pretty much all their albums (especially TR, which was a bit too sporadic in musical direction). I don't see The 2nd Law being any different.

I remember reading the old forums, and to my surprise everyone thought Absolution was shit. :LOL:

It's just a change process. Musers are often quite resistant to change, but years down the track we'll all be saying "Why don't we have more TSL-style dubstep instead of this nonsense?"

I dunno, maybe I remember it wrong but Absolution at the time seemed to be hailed as the pinnacle of Muse and the hostile reactions to BHAR were essentially "it's not Absolution, fuck this!"

I dunno, maybe I remember it wrong but Absolution at the time seemed to be hailed as the pinnacle of Muse and the hostile reactions to BHAR were essentially "it's not Absolution, fuck this!"

Hmm. I seem to recall lots of people saying (when Abso first came out) it was garbage compared to OoS and Showbiz. Kev posted the link to the old boards a while back, might have to go find it...

Hmm. I seem to recall lots of people saying (when Abso first came out) it was garbage compared to OoS and Showbiz. Kev posted the link to the old boards a while back, might have to go find it...

Well Muse fans have got previous. Even on the really old boards when OoS came out there was the odd "great now they're popular - sell outs! This is too accessible" etc, even though the exact same people would also bitch about Showbiz being too angsty and Radiohead lite :LOL:

What were the old boards? I know this one started in 2003 but I didn't know there was a main board before that.

There was a really crappy board in around 2000. The kind where you had to click on every post to view it.

Then a new one launched along with muse-official just before OoS was out. That was my first sign up. Yeah I'm that old Internets wise.

There was a really crappy board in around 2000. The kind where you had to click on every post to view it.

Then a new one launched along with muse-official just before OoS was out. That was my first sign up. Yeah I'm that old Internets wise.

Hmm, are they just completely gone now? I didn't know there were any more official boards besides the fansites back then.

Hmm, are they just completely gone now? I didn't know there were any more official boards besides the fansites back then.

I think the 2001-2 board was on an archive somewhere at least five or so years ago.

Well Muse fans have got previous. Even on the really old boards when OoS came out there was the odd "great now they're popular - sell outs! This is too accessible" etc, even though the exact same people would also bitch about Showbiz being too angsty and Radiohead lite :LOL:

Doesn't surprise me. :LOL: Muse fans are a hard bunch to please! If past trends are any indicator, TSL will go through a period of positive reception and a much longer period of negative reception before the general opinion begins to relax.

Nah it was the backup that Kev linked to last year, goes back to 2004ish.

http://board.muse.mu/time-machine/

Anyway I think I was wrong, nobody really said it was shit, but there are a lot of average reviews around it.

Anyway I think I was wrong, nobody really said it was shit, but there are a lot of average reviews around it.

That particular link is from 2007, though, cos that's the font they used to promote HAARP Wembley 2007 shows. I thought 04 boards had a white background? (lol sorry, getting technical :p).

That particular link is from 2007, though, cos that's the font they used to promote HAARP Wembley 2007 shows. I thought 04 boards had a white background? (lol sorry, getting technical :p).

There can still be posts from earlier dates.

:LOL: there is some if you dig for it. I think the initial reaction thread is missing though...

Try this one by Tom...

http://board.muse.mu/time-machine/showthread.php?t=30398&highlight=supermassive+black+hole

Archived