Does the Muse trailer contain dubstep?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Does the Muse trailer contain dubstep?

• Yes, that is definitely dubstep
    • No way is that dubstep
    • Can't tell, all wub wub wub sounds the same
    • Radioheadlol

I'm not sure it's every cynically 'jumping on the bandwagon' with Muse. I just think they can get heavily influenced by what they're personally listening to at the time.

It's not as if any of their albums pander to a specific trend and I have little doubt this one will be the same.

Oh, Muse. Jumping on the bandwagon is really not what I expected from a band that were once so fearlessly unique in the mainstream rock climate.

Dubstep is electronic music, not rock music. A rock band playing it, although somewhat oxymoronic, it is hardly jumping on the bandwagon in a sense. Metalcore has the exact same thing going as modern "Brostep", just without synths and purely guitars.

I don't like it. I wouldn't be able to distinguish this from a Skrillex song.

This sounds jack all like Skrillex mate.....

I quite like it. I'd rather this 'experimentation' than the kind they did on The Resistance. It ain't perfect, but god knows its probably their first try in that field of music so I didn't expect much more. Kinda makes me happy that Muse are open to trying stuff like this even if they're aware it could alienate some of their fanbase. That's why I disagree with the whole 'bandwagon' thing, I think Muse are trying this out because they genuinely think it's rad, not because some of the population is really into it currently.

Everything about the trailer screams Muse anyways. Hardly a bandwagon.

Honestly, it sounded quite OK, and I'm looking forward to hearing the album. But isn't Dubstep already a bit passé? It was new in like, 2008. I don't want to sound like a hipster here, but I'd rather have them come up with something completely different and new, than have them following the heard....doesn't mean they can't turn it into something awesome though.

I have to say I'm SO excited by this and actually hope it's just more than one track if the trailer is anything to go by. I want them to prove their versatility to everyone who doubts them! I have to say I was disappointed with the last album - don't get me wrong, there were some epic tracks but not the usual knock-you-out rock. Although they're my favourite band EVER and I love 99% of their songs, I'm ready to be blown to a different planet altogether by the mighty Muse!

Honestly, it sounded quite OK, and I'm looking forward to hearing the album. But isn't Dubstep already a bit passé? It was new in like, 2008. I don't want to sound like a hipster here, but I'd rather have them come up with something completely different and new, than have them following the heard....doesn't mean they can't turn it into something awesome though.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. It peaked already. :noey:

I don't want to sound like a hipster here, but by 2008 dubstep had been around for what, 10 years?

But it peaked popularity wise around then, yes.

Could someone more knowledgeable explain/demonstrate to me how it doesn't sound like Skrillex at all? To a layperson like me, they sound very similar.

This.

Only difference I hear is that it sounds cleaner and less agressive than a drop from for example 'bangarang'.

Hmm. If someone had posted the several YouTube clips of dubstep before hearing the trailer and said Muse is going to do something like that, I would have been screaming of disappointment. I find the examples (Skrillex and whatever others there are, I tried to listen to all examples on the longer thread) usually boring and mechanistic, even annoying if using elements of cheesy poppy vocals.

I didn't find the trailer boring. It could be because the dubstep part was only 30 seconds ;) But to me it sounded really like something they did in OoS, or even B-sides of that era, i.e. a bit raw, not that polished, not that melodically smooth... Some could say ear breaking, I think it's ear breaking in a nice way. Like something you would listen to when pissed off and angry. I do think TR was too polished and smooth and lacked the ear breaking component.

I'm not sure can people already say that was the dubstep part played with real instruments or with computers or some sort of touchpad thing? For me it could have as well been played with real instruments, just heavily distorted. I guess that explains why I'm okay with it.

Umm, dubstep if I understood correctly was originally dance music. Modern dance music from cheesy disco pop stuff to all industrial whatever techno stuff is imo always fucking boring, the same rhythm throughout the song, simple in structure etc. I suppose real dancers need the background music like that, so that they can insert their choreographies easily, but I'm not a good dancer and I tend to get the improvisation from changes in the music. Anyway, most Muse songs imho have more variation. Plus I think Matt writes good melodies - I mean even when the vocals are not melodic, there are patterns in the instrumental parts that I like. So it's not about genre, it's more about whether the music part is too simplistic or not.

Anyway, I would need to listen to a longer piece to be sure I won't get bored. And I wouldn't like the whole album be like the dubstep part in the trailer. Quite many have said it probably won't, so I'm not worried.

wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwub

Ok, I got that off my chest, I love it. because it's so different yet familiar. I agree with what people are saying, it sounds like Muse.

Also how the f*ck are they gonna attempt this live :LOL:

With a misa digital guitar, Matt already has one so I'm assuming he'll use that for the 'dubstepy' part

Archived