The first law?

kev

In the video they're referring to Entropy, which is part of the second law of Thermodynamics.

Basically the entropy of an isolated system will increase over time. This explains why time doesn't run backwards, among other things.

It's very hard to explain but one of the other things that stems from the second law is that everything in the universe tends towards maximum disorder or minimum energy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(order_and_disorder)

Conversely among us Chemistry students, the second law of Thermodynamics is that no-one understands thermodynamics ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics :)

questions is, how do they relate to the music?

Seems like a The Resistance style statement to me.

"Isolated systems spontaneously evolve towards thermal equilibrium -- the state of maximum entropy of the system"

Entropy means disorder or chaos, so it looks to me like a reference to the banking crisis and london riots etc.

So yeah I expect more lyrics in line with the songs on TR. With more wub-wub this time though, apparently.

The 2nd rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club!

Interesting as to why Matt chose this theme as the crux of the album.. Guess it means we're all heading into ultimate destruction.. Might as well have fun along the way

In the video they're referring to Entropy, which is part of the second law of Thermodynamics.

Basically the entropy of an isolated system will increase over time. This explains why time doesn't run backwards, among other things.

It's very hard to explain but one of the other things that stems from the second law is that everything in the universe tends towards maximum disorder or minimum energy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(order_and_disorder)

Conversely among us Chemistry students, the second law of Thermodynamics is that no-one understands thermodynamics ;)

As I posted in the thread where nobody will read a post because it moves too quickly, I dislike explaining the 2nd law of thermodynamics as the degree of disorder increasing with time. Entropy is more accurately explained as the degree of randomisation - I know, some of you will find this semantics ;). The 2nd law is nothing more than statistics... the chance of a system not appearing randomised is usually extremely low, and if it does, it won't take long before it reattains the randomised state.

I wrote this elsewhere:

I genuinely have no idea. Matt seems to have mistaken the economy for a closed system, which it is not. The inputs fluctuate daily and it is where our economy is derived from. There are constantly new sources of wealth flowing in form new mineral discoveries to emerging technologies and the resources that generate the economy occupy many more dimensions tham simple statistical descriptions of exchanges of temperature and pressure, from the direct mineral and resource inputs like oil, gold and food to the more abstract ones like services, taxation, gambling, dissipation of wealth among growing populations and investments.

In a way if you were to cut off all economic inputs and left the economy to simply be an exchange of existing resource, which makes no tangible sense, in a very laisssez faire libertarian regime, I would imagine that wealth would eventually become accumulated by a few and not at all entropic, so even on that level the analogy doesn't work.

Matt, consult a physicist like myself or Shrinking Universe next time :LOL:

The second law states that the changes in entropy is always equal or bigger than zero.

Entropy is an measure for disorder. The nature is aiming for more disorder, and in the end there will be chaos.

Sort of true. In a closed system. This only works in closed systems. The solar system is nearly closed, for example. The sun tends towards higher entropy while there are islands of decreasing entropy as a result of the energy exchange, for example, Earth, where life decreases the overall entropy of Earth by using the energy to do work and become more ordered.

And the universe overall tends towards entropy assuming the universe is energetically isolated - the result will be heat death.

Yeah I recognised it straight away. The stuff about entropy and mentions of energy in the video go with that. And people are saying one of the tracks is called Unsustainable or something? So that fits with ideas about an energy crisis. It sounds like an interesting concept.

A bit irrelevant but talking about entropy with your avatar is strangely fitting.

Yeah I recognised it straight away. The stuff about entropy and mentions of energy in the video go with that. And people are saying one of the tracks is called Unsustainable or something? So that fits with ideas about an energy crisis. It sounds like an interesting concept.

I reckon the song is going to be called Pure Unsustainable. Cool name.

Archived