That PIB performance is what really got me into Muse, fun fact. Heard the studio version and got addicted to the energy it had but the HAARP version was the first that popped up on YT so, even though I never usually watched live vids, I ended up clicking on that. Watched the performance, saw the stage and visuals, the siren intro, the mirror Manson, Matt's run down the catwalk while busting out that extended solo then laying his guitar on the ground - legit blew my mind.

They seemed like three regular dudes (almost nerds even, in Matt and Dom's case) and I didn't know something that huge, flashy and fantastical could come from anyone who wasn't your typical larger-than-life rock star. Up 'til that point, 'rock' to me was either indie kids in polo shirts or the whole 'good looks, sunglasses, cigarrettes and gravely voices' shabang. Seeing these quite camp looking guys who barely say a word but have an entire stadium going mad simply by being really good was super inspiring to a 12/13 year old. Safe to say it made me start taking guitar more seriously :chuckle:

So yeah, love u haarp <3 you deserve a blu-ray re-release

Fair play.

It was the video of Knights of Cydonia opening HAARP that got me on board to the whole live music thing. I'd been getting into music at the time but was still cold on the idea of gigs, then clicked on the video almost by accident and saw 3 guys in bright clothes in a band I'd still barely heard of playing the biggest football stadium in the UK, with a crowd going utterly mental, and 15 year old me looked at it going "Holy shit this looks fucking amazing".

I'm still cold on the mastering of HAARP, though. :chuckle:

Tbf, I do agree the guitar in particular is a bit heavily polished. Although there's still nothing as bad as the overdubbed vocal on Survival on the Rome DVD.

Anyway, while browsing the MuseWiki entries, it said that on New Born on the HAARP DVD, a mobile phone can be heard ringing at some point in the song... anyone hear this?

I'm not big on HAARP itself, but man do I miss that time. Muse were still on top of their game, and everyone was so excited to see their first stadium gig. It was really fun.

I'll always have a soft spot for them, but I must say I'm sad things have turned out this way. I never thought they would become typical LA celebrities, but it does seem to have changed them. Matt managed to resist being one of those types before.

• 4 weeks later...

I just heard today that the lead singer of Linkin Park, Chester Bennington, committed suicide. Linkin Park is one of my favorite bands, but Muse is my #1 favorite.

Loads of celebrities end up committing suicide. I just pray that it doesn't happen to any of the Muse members. Matt, Chris, Dom, we love you all. :(

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived