Dissertation Help: Popular Music Survey on Muse

1AJ1

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping this is the correct place to post this. I'm a long time reader, few time poster on here!

Basically, I'm doing some research on Muse for my dissertation - and what best place to gather some feedback than from the home of Muse fans!

My research is mainly focused around Muse's new era, and how they've changed their focus from regional to global building up to and after the release of The Resistance.

If you could take a few minutes to quickly fill in this questionnaire that'd be fantastic! http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/55WJ8HQ

If you have any other details you want to add additional information, such your response to Neutron Star Collision, or additional thoughts that you didn't have space to add during the survey or anything else please do so below.

Lastly, I hope I haven't broken any rules by doing this!

Thanks again for all your help guys, I look forward to hearing your responses!

All the best,

AJ!

Thanks very much for those of you who have taken the time to do it. The rants and long answers are exactly what I was hoping for! I will post a summary of the findings to keep you updated.

AJ is indeed a cool name. Is it your actual name or a nickname?

Thanks very much for those of you who have taken the time to do it. The rants and long answers are exactly what I was hoping for! I will post a summary of the findings to keep you updated.

Looking forward to that summary! :)

Good, cos I write way too much than I need to 90% of the time :chuckle:

It's a nickname. I don't like my first name for multiple reasons so most people just call me AJ :happy:

Hyper, that's essentially the same for me. AJ just sounds so much cooler ;)

Right, here is a brief summary of the results from my survey. I have taken the first 100 responses due to the short time I have to do this report.

100 Respondents gathered

Good even gender survey response, almost 50/50 split.

39.8% of respondants were between 18-20

24.5% were under 17

20.4% were between 21 and 25

80% of respondents would consider themselves major Muse fans.

Of those 22.7% were Muse.mu members

14.4% were Muselive members

39.2% were members of both website

23.7% were members of neither

In total 60/100 Respondents were registered on Muse.mu

52/100 were registered on Muselive.com

95.3% of respondents follow Matt Bellamy on Twitter

84.4% follow Chris Wolstenholme

79.7% Follow Dom Howard

76.6% Follow Tom Kirk

35 people failed to respond as either they are following none of the above, or not using twitter.

There is a very evenly mixed response to the Resistance, many saying it either grew on them, or that it was enjoyable when mixed with older material for live performances. It was also regularly accused of 'Not being very Musey'. Overall, there is a sense that the Resistance has evolved with Muse to be aimed at a wider audience, but not everyone is convinced by it.

There is a lot of negative comments towards "fans" of Muse who found out about the band through the Twilight films. Musers are feeling intruded by fans who don't understand or "get" Muse and their older material. However, there are comments from fans who found out about the band through Twilight, and have gone on to discover Muse's older material as well. There were also a number of comments degrading Muse as 'selling out' to casual fans. There were also a number of negative comments towards Twilight, assumably from hardcore Muse fans!

The view towards the next album is also very mixed. Some are confident Muse will try something new and adventurous to suit all parties, others are worried it could be make or break (for the old fans at least). The large majority of comments are directed towards the excitement of new material, but lots would like to see Muse go back to their roots. A fair amount of people related to information they have found out about the new album via the band members twitter accounts. There is a strong preference to Muse's older material.

Of the respondents, 63% of the respondents have seen Muse live, 43% have seen Muse more than once. Just 11 (11%) people hadn't seen Muse before, the other 25.5% had at least seen Muse on television.

Wish I had put a figure counting measure on the last question, because it looks about 80-90% of comments reveal negativity towards Muse's decision to stop playing older material. A large majority are hoping Muse will still play the odd one or two old tracks as a surprise at shows.

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill out the survey, those of you that did. It was greatly appreciated and very helpful!

All the best,

AJ

Archived