Should The Love Boat be renamed?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Love Boat be renamed?

• Yes. It should be renamed "Community."
    • Yes, but something other than "Community" or "Love Boat."
    • No!! Keep the Love Boat afloat!
    • No. Sink the boat & delete the entire section. Muahaha!

Jess I was gonna make a whole awesome name change thing where you could put your nominations for new names forward and they'd compete against Love Boat! oh well.

Also, the poll really needs more votes to be considered, 25 people isn't very representative 9400 active users, but if it gets some obviously we'll make changes accordingly.

I am disappointed that this poll has no 'Radiohead lol' option. :LOL:

Jess I was gonna make a whole awesome name change thing where you could put your nominations for new names forward and they'd compete against Love Boat! oh well..

Oops. Mah bad! :$:LOL:

We can still do the name voting thing!

Surely introducing group threads will just turn it in to banter cause that's where some group threads are now. Cept you have international that's already segregated those from banter. What would you stick in banter and what would go in love boat? And how would you distinguish as a valid group thread?

Also surely the introduce yourself sticky thread would be better in banter since a lot of the users go there and it would act as a lead in to getting involved in other threads. A sticky introduce yourself thread sounds like a good idea esp with the result of the newbie forum not working out so well in the end.

Don't care what the love boat gets named as. Tho community is a bit lame. I think it's a redundant part of the forum but I guess it's easy for groups of mates to chat.

Surely introducing group threads will just turn it in to banter cause that's where some group threads are now. Cept you have international that's already segregated those from banter. What would you stick in banter and what would go in love boat? And how would you distinguish as a valid group thread?

Also surely the introduce yourself sticky thread would be better in banter since a lot of the users go there and it would act as a lead in to getting involved in other threads. A sticky introduce yourself thread sounds like a good idea esp with the result of the newbie forum not working out so well in the end.

Don't care what the love boat gets named as. Tho community is a bit lame. I think it's a redundant part of the forum but I guess it's easy for groups of mates to chat.

As far as I gather regarding the groups thing, it's more for sections of the forum-ish. Like a while ago Kit & Tab got a Group Thread in the love boat (SS KunT) which is used as a place for all the KnT Banter, rather than clogging up the actual KnT threads. So I imagine you'd get threads relating to specific areas of the forum, rather than for example a Young Muser Group Thread

Yeah, there might be one or two threads in Banter that will get moved just for consistency. We have no groups in mind, better that way imo. If a significant group of people share something in common then a thread will establish itself, if not it will fade into obscurity and be deleted when old threads get cleared out.

If it turns out there's a large number of Jewish musers, for example, then they can have a group thread. If there's a large number of Musers who appreciate ancient Mongolian poetry, so be it, they can have a thread where they can chat and get to know each other.

It's exactly what we already have in the Social Groups function under Community, but it'll probably actually be used by people.

To answer your questions: we did entertain having a new user thread in banter but we felt that due to the content of the posts people would be likely ripped to shreds and it would have the opposite effect than making them feel welcome.

I think Niall pretty much explained the group philosophy. It is a bit of a grey and new area for us but at this is something that has been asked repeatedly we want to see if we can make it work.

So would it be based on similar interests? Say the girly thread. Would that in theory fit in to the new home since its a group of people who enjoy chatting about girly things? Then you have smaller threads like the cooking one, arts and crafts etc on theory these should be shifted across. Which would probably end up gutting the most interesting threads across in banter apart from the banter thread itself ha.

Overtime it might work but would be a pain to jump forums all the time. Really I think those group threads should sit in banter. If they're active they will stay on top. Otherwise they'll end up in the trimming pile. I think it's hard to force more purpose out of the current love boat than what it already serves. Bit like bands and music. You go to chat bout a partic band/artist in there and that's it. A well defined space that serves its purpose.

To answer your questions: we did entertain having a new user thread in banter but we felt that due to the content of the posts people would be likely ripped to shreds and it would have the opposite effect than making them feel welcome.

I think Niall pretty much explained the group philosophy. It is a bit of a grey and new area for us but at this is something that has been asked repeatedly we want to see if we can make it work.

Sorry double post. On a phone.

Banter is a harsh area but just tell everyone to stop being twats in that thread is simple enough. If they're being a twat they should not bother with that thread and the people who aren't twats can pop in and chat to people.

Actually it's probably hard to place a introduce yourself thread efficiently in such a big forum with so many new users coming in. Trialing stuff probably will find the answer.

Sorry double post. On a phone.

Banter is a harsh area but just tell everyone to stop being twats in that thread is simple enough. If they're being a twat they should not bother with that thread and the people who aren't twats can pop in and chat to people.

Actually it's probably hard to place a introduce yourself thread efficiently in such a big forum with so many new users coming in. Trialing stuff probably will find the answer.

Haha on my phone too!

I agree the majority of banter is fine it's just a very small number who will go out of their way to be twats.

You are right it's pretty much trial and error. We don't have any absolute answer and it's just a question of trying out and see what works and what doesn't

So would it be based on similar interests? Say the girly thread. Would that in theory fit in to the new home since its a group of people who enjoy chatting about girly things? Then you have smaller threads like the cooking one, arts and crafts etc on theory these should be shifted across. Which would probably end up gutting the most interesting threads across in banter apart from the banter thread itself ha.

Overtime it might work but would be a pain to jump forums all the time. Really I think those group threads should sit in banter. If they're active they will stay on top. Otherwise they'll end up in the trimming pile. I think it's hard to force more purpose out of the current love boat than what it already serves. Bit like bands and music. You go to chat bout a partic band/artist in there and that's it. A well defined space that serves its purpose.

No I mean, that's just threads with topics which is every thread. It'd be groups of people who associate in some way but not just discussing that one thing they relate too. Maybe the PMT will want a thread where they can all chat with each other but not about Matt, for example.

No I mean, that's just threads with topics which is every thread. It'd be groups of people who associate in some way but not just discussing that one thing they relate too. Maybe the PMT will want a thread where they can all chat with each other but not about Matt, for example.

Yeah, I think there used to be a PMT chat thread in Love Boats. So there's that, the YMT, the Oldies thread, etc... that could be in the Wank Cauldron. :p

Someone mentioned just making a whole new section. The New Users section failed because it was pointless to maintain a whole section for new users. But maybe in a community section there can be New Users as well as the other banter groups that have been mentioned. Or maybe something like the Gallery where it's broken into subsections.

There's also the option of reminding people social groups exist and can be posted in. But that's even less likely to happen.

Then surely that's just banter threads for groups of friends who have something in common but just want a chin wag which I imagine happens already in Love boat, or in Banter.

I suppose under new suggestion instead of just using one person's thread as a focus it'll just be named by the group eg, the pirate camp of 2008, etc etc.

I find it a bit silly for example the girly thread (the first thread that came to mind) to want a sep thread to chin wag in since the girly thread involves a mixture of both.

And you have social groups and profile messaging as other options, so maybe that does make the love boat just redundant?

*shrugs*

Then surely that's just banter threads for groups of friends who have something in common but just want a chin wag which I imagine happens already in Love boat, or in Banter.

I suppose under new suggestion instead of just using one person's thread as a focus it'll just be named by the group eg, the pirate camp of 2008, etc etc.

I find it a bit silly for example the girly thread (the first thread that came to mind) to want a sep thread to chin wag in since the girly thread involves a mixture of both.

And you have social groups and profile messaging as other options, so maybe that does make the love boat just redundant?

*shrugs*

Believe me we (the mod as a team) have been wrestling and discussing the same issues you've mentioned. In the end the majority wanted to try the group threads so we will see how it goes and decide where we go from there.

*shrugs*

We did indeed discuss all these issues (we've been talking about it for literally months now, even longer on and off since the poll).

If people did uses profile messaging and groups and those two features had the same functionaility as regular posts and were as visible and used on the board, Love Boat would definitely have been deleted already. But no one uses those features in any large way, so we concluded that they hadn't worked very well and a regular forum provided people with what they wanted just as well.

As we see it, people chatting off topic under the association of a vague group is no more trivial than them doing so under one of our many members, so it's pretty much all or nothing. It's a bit hard to justify one and not the other when there's demand from both. It also means we are no longer fighting against groups like the PMT who previously had a long history of going off topic. It's much fairer to say "keep this thread for photos and keep this thread for chat" in reponse to someone reporting ot spam than "no more chat" when we have an entire forum dedicated to off topicness.

Maybe the girly thread won't want two threads. It's in Banter so it'll tend to go "off topic" from what the core purpose of the thread is but that's fine as long as the people who use the thread think so, it doesn't stop anyone bringing it back on topic, unlike the Muse areas of the board where threads are supposed to be kept on topic.

As long as we're not being limited by server resources I can't see any reason to not give people more options to chat on the board and giving them an appropriate forum to do so in. It's not like the previous few years when we were having to justify the exitence of the entire off topic section of the messageboard when server resources weren't quite so available (coupled with Warner saying things too). Maybe if the new album is a huge success and we get inundated with new users we'll have to reassess the situation, but only time will tell.

Jess I was gonna make a whole awesome name change thing where you could put your nominations for new names forward and they'd compete against Love Boat! oh well.

Also, the poll really needs more votes to be considered, 25 people isn't very representative 9400 active users, but if it gets some obviously we'll make changes accordingly.

Right, and the 20 report you received about the love boats being confusing is?

9400 active users? My arse.

Archived