Should The Love Boat be renamed?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Love Boat be renamed?

• Yes. It should be renamed "Community."
    • Yes, but something other than "Community" or "Love Boat."
    • No!! Keep the Love Boat afloat!
    • No. Sink the boat & delete the entire section. Muahaha!

i dunno. i thought creating a love boat for someone wasn't something people just did because they could, but because the person they created it for had established themselves a bit...then giving them a love boat was an honor. maybe that's why people are fond of the term 'love boat'

*shrug*

i mean they really are just banter threads dedicated to a specific person so however you decide to catagorize it i guess it doesn't matter. :unsure:

It needs a function other than "friendship" because people asked for it and for the reasons explained in the first post. And also, I hear there's this new site called facebook that's pretty big on friendships and is a bit more functional than a rock band's messageboard ;)

It boils down to:

• People want a place for group threads
  • To a lesser extent, new users need a place to say hi, start posting and integrate and the previous segregated forum failed
  • Love Boat is an good place for this, although there's no reason it should be stuck with a name that was created as a joke about 8 years ago by an admin that almost no one has ever heard of

Niall makes it sound like he's discussing a business model, NID.

Just wait until Banter becomes a limited company with a share capital retaining the flexibility features of an LLC subject to flow-through taxation.

It needs a function other than "friendship" because people asked for it and for the reasons explained in the first post. And also, I hear there's this new site called facebook that's pretty big on friendships and is a bit more functional than a rock

yeah i don't interact with people the same way on fb as here dontchyaknow :p

It needs a function other than "friendship" because people asked for it and for the reasons explained in the first post. And also, I hear there's this new site called facebook that's pretty big on friendships and is a bit more functional than a rock band's messageboard ;)

It boils down to:

• People want a place for group threads
  • To a lesser extent, new users need a place to say hi, start posting and integrate and the previous segregated forum failed
  • Love Boat is an good place for this, although there's no reason it should be stuck with a name that was created as a joke about 8 years ago by an admin that almost no one has ever heard of

It sounds to me like the main idea is just to create a thread for new users to introduce themselves, and the only problem you guys ran into was "where do we put the thread?".

As for your point about Facebook, why not remove the whole section then or just turn it into another new users forum? Because that's what it's going to be if you want us all to move on to Facebook.

A lot of people asked for you to not be made admin, but alas, vetoed :(

A small minority of noisy people in one forum isn't "a lot" :p at least we actually give people a chance to speak, before things were simply changed on admin whims.

But they weren't patronising tossers, so it balances really.

It sounds to me like the main idea is just to create a thread for new users to introduce themselves, and the only problem you guys ran into was "where do we put the thread?".

Maybe we didn't explain ourselves clearly as this wasn't the case. The decision was made because from the survey we got quite a lot of feedback from people saying that the love boats was quite obscure and difficult to understand for newcomers and also a lot of people asked if we could open that area of the forum to include group threads so we decided to open it up and make it a 'community' section with individual and group thread. It's only afterwards that we thought that we could reintroduce a new user thread on there so that actually came last.

Maybe we didn't explain ourselves clearly as this wasn't the case. The decision was made because from the survey we got quite a lot of feedback from people saying that the love boats was quite obscure and difficult to understand for newcomers and also a lot of people asked if we could open that area of the forum to include group threads so we decided to open it up and make it a 'community' section with individual and group thread. It's only afterwards that we thought that we could reintroduce a new user thread on there so that actually came last.

Have you guys thought about, oh I don't know, changing the description of the forum to something that actually describes the content? Because that would probably be the first thing to consider. A forum description isn't just there for looks.

So you want to have groups in there? Fantastic, let's do it. Create a group thread for new users, leave the name as it is, and change the description. Couldn't be simpler.

Have you guys thought about, oh I don't know, changing the description of the forum to something that actually describes the content? Because that would probably be the first thing to consider. A forum description isn't just there for looks.

So you want to have groups in there? Fantastic, let's do it. Create a group thread for new users, leave the name as it is, and change the description. Couldn't be simpler.

Exactly this. And also, "Community" is silly because that's what basically describes the whole forum, seems stupid making one forum that and the rest... "non-community" or whatever :LOL:

I don't like the way how you guys have just announced this and don't seem like you're open to the ideas we're giving. I know you're the mods but we should be able to have a solid say too, and it's pretty obvious most here don't like the idea...

pretty much everyone has hated the name for ever and it has no zero relevance to the contents of the forum anymore since about 4-5 years ago when people stopped writing *appreciates* at the end of every post there.

pretty much everyone has hated the name for ever and it has no zero relevance to the contents of the forum anymore since about 4-5 years ago when people stopped writing *appreciates* at the end of every post there.

I love the name, it's an honour to get a boat :LOL:

*appr*

Community sounds awful, imo. Let's hope these threads for newbies will be a bit more substantial than ' oh haizzzzzzzzzzz i'm new and love matttttttie :D :D :D: D :D' to which no-one will respond to.

I love the name, it's an honour to get a boat :LOL:

and now you get a "comm" :party: :party: :party:

I really don't understand why anyone would have a problem with the name "Love Boat" going, can understand not liking the new name, because well that's a hard problem but alas.

That was much more that 4 or 5 years ago! Like back in 2005 or something :LOL:

*appr*

Community sounds awful, imo. Let's hope these threads for newbies will be a bit more substantial than ' oh haizzzzzzzzzzz i'm new and love matttttttie :D :D :D: D :D' to which no-one will respond to.

or people creating their own threads which no one will post to :LOL:

*appr*

There will be just one new thread for new users. And it will probably be just that unfortunately, but it's better than before when we had an entire forum that was just that...

We'll still mod out any spam from them.

*appr*

*knuffles*

i think i missed something when newbs got into it, seems to have been a late addition (it's not mentioned in the initial post) and i don't reckon it'll actually happen

and now you get a "comm" :party: :party: :party:

I really don't understand why anyone would have a problem with the name "Love Boat" going, can understand not liking the new name, because well that's a hard problem but alas.

:LOL:

Because it's a good name, I think anyway. I like the fact it's not serious, more light-hearted.

yes, so changing it kinda ruins it. It really annoys me that it is going to be ruined.

Exactly.

There will be just one new thread for new users. And it will probably be just that unfortunately, but it's better than before when we had an entire forum that was just that...

We'll still mod out any spam from them.

So is this a way to give mods more things to do around here? Because if you're gonna sort out spam from new users in a new users introduction thread then you have your work cut out for you.

*knuffles*

i think i missed something when newbs got into it, seems to have been a late addition (it's not mentioned in the initial post) and i don't reckon it'll actually happen

Yeah it's really minor point, not even part of the reason directly. Was just an added bonus of having group threads in that new users might find a group the identify with.

I think we all agreed in the mod forum not to re-introduce SpamFest '09 AKA the New Users forum...

Archived