Hi guys, I'm new to this forum.

I'm starting a work about Muse and I need every possible information on the band and so on.

I was asking myself if Matthew in the early years' interviews (or later) has ever spoke his mind about Radiohead. Some fans report that he dislikes them, but there is some common ground in the first album, and I have to presume that he probably listened to Pablo Honey and The Bends, at least. Has he ever openly spoke his mind about them in any interview?

Important: I am not interested into any kind of Muse vs Radiohead debate, really.

Thanks!

I don't know where the specific interviews can be found, but Matt and Dom has mentioned Radiohead as an inspiration to their first album. Something that they later denied after all the comparisons started.

What you want:

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum.

I'm starting a work about Muse and I need every possible information on the band and so on.

I was asking myself if Matthew in the early years' interviews (or later) has ever spoke his mind about Radiohead. Some fans report that he dislikes them, but there is some common ground in the first album, and I have to presume that he probably listened to Pablo Honey and The Bends, at least. Has he ever openly spoke his mind about them in any interview?

Important: I am not interested into any kind of Muse vs Radiohead debate, really.

Thanks!

What's going to happen:

Muse vs Radiohead

I'm very hesitant posting about this, since I'm probably just the idiot who starts the neverending Radiohead<->Muse battle again. But I've played with this idea a couple of times and would like people's opinion on it.

Muse recorded Showbiz in 1998, a year after OK Computer was released. OK Computer was a good commercial success. Music industry of course wants profit from the albums they finance, and OK Computer showed such music (more artistic - I think people know what I mean, music that until OK Computer, industry thought won't sell) can bring money. So at the time the music industry was looking anything that would please the same sort of audience. I think Muse maybe got their chance to record an album (with their existing music) because in music industry's eyes OK Computer had opened a market for that kind of music.There was, as far as I remember and understood, quite many new bands that resembled Radiohead at the time, not just Muse.

Muse (well Matt) said later that Showbiz was less energetic, or less heavy album than their music in average at the time. OoS then was a bit more heavy than their average stuff. I think Leckie could have easily guided them to choose the less energetic songs from their existing material, knowing that OK Computer actually is relatively - hmm mellow (? not sure how to describe it in English).

Muse were hardly twenty years old at the time, they might not have realised why they got the recording deal, and even if they did they couldn't afford to turn the offer down.

Hmm, WinstonAndJulia you could find the unauthorised Muse biography film. It shows interview of Safta Jaffery, who I think said that the comparisons were "lazy journalism". Also others, including Leckie, who worked with Muse in the early days are interviewed. I got the feeling when watching that video that the guys are playing innocent - they must have realised at the time that the stuff will be compared to Radiohead. Naturally none of the people involved would admit publicly any commercial aspirations behind the album.

Btw I think Thom Yorke publicly commented on Muse in negative way - I've seen this mentioned but not the actual quote from Yorke. That must have had an influence on what Matt thinks of Yorke.

Sorry for being off-topic. I don't even know whether this view has been brought up before.

Btw I think Thom Yorke publicly commented on Muse in negative way - I've seen this mentioned but not the actual quote from Yorke. That must have had an influence on what Matt thinks of Yorke.

Thom said once, "It's a fine line between writing something with genuine emotional impact and turning into little idiots feeling sorry for ourselves and playing stadium rock."

Not definitely sure if he was applying it to anyone at all or just making an example but he could have had something against Muse, yes.

Matt replied: “If you want to know just how strong our relationship with Radiohead is, ask Dom here. He’s on splendid terms with Thom Yorke.”

To which Dom replied: “Splendid terms my arse. I respect them musically, but the last time I met him we almost started a fight; he treated me badly, looking down on me. Matt, do you spread around this bollocks?”

I still want to know what this was about...

I'm really not surprised they're on those kinds of terms with Radiohead.

From what I heard/read most people are on those terms with Thom Yorke and if I remember correctly Dom was referring only to Thom.

Pretty much. Thom is apparently naturally not very nice to musicians he doesn't deem worthy of his respect. The rest of the band seem lovely though.

From what I heard/read most people are on those terms with Thom Yorke and if I remember correctly Dom was referring only to Thom.

Thom's a pretty cold person, but considering he's already shown negative feelings toward Muse for the whole "taking sound" thing I'd be afraid to meet him if I were in Muse.

Archived