A question or experiment regarding Muse's 'changes'

Captain Radiator

That's the shortest title I could think of that's specific enough.. sorry :$

This is really, really complicated and hard to write so bear with me ..

For my Art AS final piece stuff, I've been given a brief about change and experience and stuff like that, and I wanted to look into what people thought about how stuff changes over time, positively or negatively, and respective opinions on these changes, in turn positive or negative. I'd been sort of stuck for how to start but with all this speculation about the new album and the band "starting again" or words to that effect, I thpught it would be a good idea to ask on here, a question directed to possibly the more veteran Musers or even ex Muse fans what you have thought about the ways the band has changed, in a musical sense, as far back as you like. Opinions on songs, albums that sort of thing. I would like it to be looked on as an experiment or research, and i know so many .mu users have very strong opinions, which is exactly why im writing this. If however this breaks any rules or taboos or the like then i don't mind if the thread is locked or whatever, it was a quick idea I had.

In short; Muses 'sound' has changed since Showbiz, what's been good or bad about what, and if its the case, what put you off them?

Oh and I don't want to sound infuriating but can answers if any, be at least slightly serious and on topic ... please :)

Very short version of how I see it:

They made Showbiz, then they developed that sound and experimented with it on OoS.

Then they made a turn for a slightly more commercial approach of what they had already done on OoS, but also tried out some new genres with a few songs.

BH&R is then a complete turn, because while it had taken ideas from previous albums and developed them, it also lacked focus. It was basically an album of trying out as many things as they could.

One would hope that this meant that they knew what they were gonna do with TR, but here is the first time in Muse career that I think they stopped developing. It's basically the same as BH&R, a collection of different directions that they are interested in, but once again lacks focus.

Interesting...

Things I like about Muse's progression:

Matt's vocal ability and technique have improved. They have the opportunity to do some pretty interesting and great stage designs (Leeds/Reading, BHAR Tour) which can offer and add to a great experience.

They still care about the fans. Despite what people say about setlists and albums catering towards the mainstream and new fans, the band don't forget to show appreciation for the older fans as well. Leeds/Reading was a great example of this, they didn't have to do anything but instead played an entire album for old fans. There was also Teignmouth, Ruled By Secrecy, Dead Star and Can't Take My Eyes Off You. Unfortunately, these little treats do not seem to come often enough.

Things I dislike:

The band are not as entertaining to watch on-stage as they used to be, a few years ago if you went to a gig you were almost guaranteed to see the band enjoy themselves whereas now it all seems like it's a bit too scripted and that the band don't seem to be enjoying themselves at times.

Less and less b-sides are being made for albums - The Resistance had only one original song for a b-side, the rest were either covers or remixes which is disappointing, fans want as much original content as they can get but they are being given less and less as Muse grows more popular.

The lyrics. These days the lyrics are all about politics, governments and other-worldly things, I miss the days when Muse songs contained personal lyrics the people can relate/connect to more often.

The lyrics. These days the lyrics are all about politics, governments and other-worldly things, I miss the days when Muse songs contained personal lyrics the people can relate/connect to more often.

But at the same time, people have been complaining twice as much about Matt's personal lyrics these days. Maybe he just doesn't feel like writing something angsty.

Hard to not be cheesy when your life is cheesy.

To maybe add to what the other two said, when the band started their songs were very young, angsty, and about their home town and growing up which they weren't too happy about.

After the first tour they really changed and therefore you hear a more mature sound on OoS while keeping the raw feeling of Showbiz. They got a lot of influences on those couple of years too.

Absolution was their first album when they already had moderate success. It was originally going to be a happier album until they realized the world wasn't in a good state. This is where Matt really started to develop the more political style in his lyrics. Another thing to note is this was the only tour where they'd play big arenas in Europe and small bars in America. This was pretty much the transitional period in a lot of ways. A mix of the old raw energy with the big theatrics that were to come.

BH&R's inconsistency comes from how it was made. Half the album was made in isolation where they'd make 20 minute prog songs. Then they went to clubs in the city and so both those styles are present. In this era they really started breaking huge popularity. They achieved their decade long dream of playing reading and also played their first two stadiums in the tour.

In The Resistance they decided to go all out. Everything was really bombastic and the performances were theatrical. Here they've lost a lot of the youthful energy with big production, and had a lot less experimenting than the previous ones. This is present in the songs too where trying to be personal came off as cheesy. Their popularity is at its highest now. There were actually no b-sides. Popcorn and Prague were recorded afterwards, and they were covers. They went to the studio with only the 11 songs that were recorded.

It's not easy being cheesy.

Everyone's life is cheesy though -- if one were to write a movie script about each and every one of us. However, everything depends on the writer. ;) "Cheese" happens when overt melodrama takes precedence over artistic tact. Which direction Matt will go in on this is anyone's call. I hope that he chooses to word his experiences more..... subliminal....then he has of late. ;)

Everyone's life is cheesy though -- if one were to write a movie script about each and every one of us. However, everything depends on the writer. ;) "Cheese" happens when overt melodrama takes precedence over artistic tact. Which direction Matt will go in on this is anyone's call. I hope that he chooses to word his experiences more..... subliminal....then he has of late. ;)

Hey, "Like snowflakes in an ocean" can be interpreted in a million different ways!

I choose to believe that the song is about his suppressed, passionate feelings for Dom.

Hey, "Like snowflakes in an ocean" can be interpreted in a million different ways!

I choose to believe that the song is about his suppressed, passionate feelings for Dom.

Fucking hilarious. :LOL:

Thing is though, the line "like snowflakes in an ocean" IS cheesy, because it's so.... cheesy! :LOL: Snowflakes... Ocean... just BORING analogies. :)

It's like Matt used to come up with his own way of writing lyrics since he had no idea how to do it.

And then he started reading Twilight and thought that was how stories were supposed to be told.

I have no idea how literal you're being with this, but it is accurate. ;) IMO, some of the best lyrics are written when one is not trying. I swear, the best lyrics come from a place where the writer initially has no idea what they're talking about -- and only figure it out later. Much of Matt's later lyrics feel forced to me.

I actually love their "changes". I think that it's their strongest point as a band.

Their most experimental albums, in my opinion, were OoS and BHaR, which just happen to be my two favorites by them.

A lot of my favorite songs of Muse's albums are the more experimental, not quite like the rest of the album, type. (for example, Screenager, UD, CoD, Micro Cuts).

I think that when they try to go back to what they've been doing, like Unnatural Selection, it just doesn't turn out very well. It feels forced, almost copied.

I just think it's natural for them to change, to experiment and move toward newer things. When they do that, that's when they sound the best. So I'm all for their "changes".

However, I am not liking the change in Matt's vocals. It's like all the emotion got sucked out of his voice.

Bit ambiguous then as Muse were sort of on Warner for Absolution but also sort of not.

As conceited as it may be quoting myself, I don't feel like typing it out again...

[Absolution] was pretty much the transitional period in a lot of ways. A mix of the old raw energy with the big theatrics that were to come.

I am always confounded as to how people say there's so much difference between Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations. To me, the style of the songs sound much alike; mix up the order of those and I would have thought it was the same album.

Things that come to mind: The "dry" guitar sound on Exo-Politics and TOADA/The Small Print; Stockholm Syndrome/Assassin; Endlessly/Invincible; similar themes. Although the theme thing kind of continued with The Resistance.

Basically I don't see any difference in "commercial-friendlyness" or "raw energy" in these two. They are about equal in terms of that.

Also, I feel The Resistance is obviously their most experimental album, and I like it. UD, USoE, Exogenesis. I hope they continue in that direction, 'cause it suits them.

I am always confounded as to how people say there's so much difference between Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations. To me, the style of the songs sound much alike; mix up the order of those and I would have thought it was the same album.

Things that come to mind: The "dry" guitar sound on Exo-Politics and TOADA/The Small Print; Stockholm Syndrome/Assassin; Endlessly/Invincible; similar themes. Although the theme thing kind of continued with The Resistance.

Basically I don't see any difference in "commercial-friendlyness" or "raw energy" in these two. They are about equal in terms of that.

Also, I feel The Resistance is obviously their most experimental album, and I like it. UD, USoE, Exogenesis. I hope they continue in that direction, 'cause it suits them.

Which direction? They experimented with so many different things on The Resistance that it felt disjointed, there are many directions they could continue in after that album.

Also I'm not sure what you mean with the whole 'dry sound' thing. The Small Print's guitar tone sounds nothing alike Exo-Politics'.

Archived