The sound is good, but dude, you have fingers,then throw that pick.

Lol. If you'd know what kind of stuff I play other than Muse, you wouldn't say that. Besides, even my bass teacher told me that I should use a pick, as I have fairly short fingers. So... please, let people do things the way they prefer, want or have to.

I think some of the timings are off in the onset of your notes, and I think it's mostly because of you playing with a pick. Even though the sound is great, I strongly recommend you play this with fingers; in the end, knowing how to do both properly will increase your playing and versatility as a bass player.

Playing with a pick isn't a bad thing, but some things just play less sloppy with fingers.

I think some of the timings are off in the onset of your notes, and I think it's mostly because of you playing with a pick. Even though the sound is great, I strongly recommend you play this with fingers; in the end, knowing how to do both properly will increase your playing and versatility as a bass player.

Playing with a pick isn't a bad thing, but some things just play less sloppy with fingers.

As I said, using fingers is much harder for me, as I have fairly short fingers. And yeah, I noticed off-timing, and some of that is true, but now that I listened my own track only, I think some of them are in time, but the effect makes it so mashed that they sound being off.

EDIT: And btw, I made this in one take and I never aim for 100% perfect result, but rather on something I myself enjoy(one of the reasons I usually do only one take). I also try to 'go with the song' when I play, rather than just stand still(which really annoys me when watching many youtubers), and that may cause a few mistakes. But yeah, as I said, I rather make a cover to be different/interesting/enjoyable than just standing still and playing with that perfect touch.

What kind of stuff do you play ?

Thrash metal and Folk/Melo-death metal.

Edited by 01fromfinland

I don't see how it could be a problem to play with short fingers :stunned: You just have to find the good position for your hand, and that's it.

Well, I can, with my Headless Kingbass, but that has pickups that don't fir for this kind of stuff. At all. They are so muddy, I can play Uprising etc. with that, but this much fuzz would sound flat out empty with that.

Well there's nothing wrong with resting your thumb on different strings. It's a matter of technique. If you can't be arsed learning the right technique for your hand, be honest and just say you don't want to, but this 'too small hands' story is very untrue.

You don't see her complaining about her small hands do you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njG_dQC-cnk

Now, have a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mECCrweIRWg

Free stroke technique, 2:42

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

How is everyone?

I just wanted to share a rough mix of this recording I did in my home studio a while back.

Feel free to make suggestions/criticisms as it still needs a little work and peoples feedback always helps. :)

Anyway, here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/kgoose/stockholm-syndrome-cover

For anyone interested,

Guitar tracks recorded on a 1980's Hugh Manson custom.

Bass was an Ibanez (not sure of the model) that I borrowed from a friend.

Drum track recorded/programmed using a korg nanopad2 mapped through Toontrack EZ Drummer 2.

Synths/Ambient effects are custom patches made in LogicProX.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

Cheers,

Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

the bass sound in the beginning is overdubbed with a synth , It's not my intention to lie about it, it would be weird to record a video of playing it on a midi keyboard, don't you think ? :D

But the bass sound during the solo is only bass, I used an effect on my line6 M5, and a lot of compression, eq, bandpass on logic.

Anyway, thank you :)