I think I'm getting closer to Matt's live tone. But I don't know, maybe you guys can give me tips/just tell me how it sounds to you.

I tried combining vox ac30 and bogner sims (bit similar to diezel that matt used), ac30 and marshall plexi sims, and plexi and bogner sims.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/tukangkeluyuran/matt-bellamy-muse-live-guitar[/soundcloud]

:)

I think I'm getting closer to Matt's live tone. But I don't know, maybe you guys can give me tips/just tell me how it sounds to you.

I tried combining vox ac30 and bogner sims (bit similar to diezel that matt used), ac30 and marshall plexi sims, and plexi and bogner sims.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/tukangkeluyuran/matt-bellamy-muse-live-guitar[/soundcloud]

Really liked SMBH and the clean parts of Hyper Music. A lot of times it sounded a quite muffled though. That was my main problem with it.

Tone-wise, it's all right, my only main problem being that it sounds a bit dampened/muffled on the lower strings at times (like Kueller already said). Could maybe use a tiny bit more fuzz during stuff like SBH as well. Playing-wise, not sure if you're doing it intentionally but it sounds like you might be using octaves instead of Hendrix chords during the main Hyper Music riff? Not a major gripe, I just think it sounds weird without them.

Edited by Jobby

thx for the quick reply guys.

Please, tune your guitar next time.

the guitar was actually tuned. but I did a few wrong notes, because I only want a quick recording, after that I spend the whole time tweaking the FXs.

Really liked SMBH and the clean parts of Hyper Music. A lot of times it sounded a quite muffled though. That was my main problem with it.

Tone-wise, it's all right, my only main problem being that it sounds a bit dampened/muffled on the lower strings at times (like Kueller already said). Could maybe use a tiny bit more fuzz during stuff like SBH as well. Playing-wise, not sure if you're doing it intentionally but it sounds like you might be using octaves instead of Hendrix chords during the main Hyper Music riff? Not a major gripe, I just think it sounds weird without them.

The muffled sound on low notes.. I think was because I cut the low freq a little bit and concentrate the eq mainly on mid freq, so it was on purpose because I thought matt's live tone is sometimes muffled like that (based on watching live gigs), but maybe my ears are wrong, I'll try tweaking it again. Any suggestion on what I should do to reduce the muffled sound?

Uh yeah, the preset on SBH is kinda hard. It needs some more octave fuzz but sadly there's no simulator for fuzz head (I've only got big muff & fuzz face sims, which crushes the clarity of the tone greatly.). I'll work on it.

Not sure what you mean by hendrix chord, but I was playing this tab for the verse:

e|--10--8--7--6--|

B|--10-10--8--8--|

G|--10--9--7--7--|

D|---------------|

A|---------------|

D|---------------|

anyways, thanks again for the critic. :awesome:

I'll look into it. So my homework is mostly EQ setting.

I think it also has something to do with the mixing on the DAW. And somehow it sounds different on soundcloud than the original file in my computer. :rolleyes:

DAW probably records lossless while soundcloud compresses the file for streaming. You always have to account for that bit, happens to everyone.

Not sure what you mean by hendrix chord, but I was playing this tab for the verse:

e|--10--8--7--6--|

B|--10-10--8--8--|

G|--10--9--7--7--|

D|---------------|

A|---------------|

D|---------------|

Yeah, that's totally right for the verse, I'm talking about the main riff just before it (the one that plays in the chorus as well):

E ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B -------6--------------------------6---------------------------6---------------------------6-------9--9--9--

G -------5--------------------------5---------------------------5---------------------------5-------8--8--8--

D -------4--------------------------4---------------------------4---------------------------4-------7--7--7--

A -------5--------------3--5-------5------2--3--2--1--------5-------------3--5--------5-------8--8--8--

D --0--------0--3--5---------0--------0-----------------0--------0--3--5---------0--------0--------------

Sounds like you might be playing the chords in that as single notes or octave chords.

I've run into this strange problem with my voice where after I got sick, for a week and a half now I've had absolutely no falsetto, it's as if something is ingrained in my throat. I tried singing for the first time since, and surprisingly, my full voice is all there (but a bit weaker than normal), but there's still literally zero falsetto - I can't even make a squeak. Anyway, I tried out doing a little sketch of the second verse (?) of Escape on piano and voice:

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

Crits on the vocals if possible? Aside from being totally unable to get the rasp on the second 'mad', there's something I'm not fond of, though I can't figure out what. My ears are pretty wasted from the illness as well, and my self-assessment is at about a 1/10 right now.

Yeah, that's totally right for the verse, I'm talking about the main riff just before it (the one that plays in the chorus as well):

E ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B -------6--------------------------6---------------------------6---------------------------6-------9--9--9--

G -------5--------------------------5---------------------------5---------------------------5-------8--8--8--

D -------4--------------------------4---------------------------4---------------------------4-------7--7--7--

A -------5--------------3--5-------5------2--3--2--1--------5-------------3--5--------5-------8--8--8--

D --0--------0--3--5---------0--------0-----------------0--------0--3--5---------0--------0--------------

Sounds like you might be playing the chords in that as single notes or octave chords.

I never play the 5th fret on the A string, seems unnecessary and awkward and muds up the sound a bit. And judging by Reading 2011 now just do D# octaves on A 6th fret and G 8th fret instead of the last chord

DAW probably records lossless while soundcloud compresses the file for streaming. You always have to account for that bit, happens to everyone.

will do, thanks mate.

I see, nope, I was hitting single notes, and D# Octaves on the end like in Reading 2011

I never play the 5th fret on the A string, seems unnecessary and awkward and muds up the sound a bit. And judging by Reading 2011 now just do D# octaves on A 6th fret and G 8th fret instead of the last chord

this.

Nearly time for the Christmass rush... Which means nearly time to out Christmas songs on the playlist...

Favourite Christmas song has to be Oceansize's awesome twist on Walking in the Air so decided to cover...

EDIT: Had to remix as the bass wasnt as strong as I'd have liked...

Suppose I'll embed it this time.

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud] Edited by Liam511

Sounds like too much mids in all of them as everything sounds a bit too boxy, a little light on low end and if you're blending amps, they do need to be tonally different, otherwise there is little point in it. Hated the phaser.

No idea what the live sound for Hyper Music is like, but to get the studio sound, you need less gain than what you are using, less mids and more treble.

Nothing to do with Matt's live sound, but try like an ultra mid-rangey Plexi sound will little to no bass or treble, then add in a scooped metal sound to fill in the sound.