My school does a talent show each year. I'm not sure whether or not to enter. I can play guitar and I try to sing but I've never had anybody's opinion on it (other than my grandma saying "That was lovely!" after singing Unintended but I'm not sure that counts :chuckle:). If I was to do it I'd be doing some acoustic versions of some songs but my main issue is confidence, it'd be me with my acoustic guitar and voice playing and singing in front of about 100 people. I'd be shaking like crazy and if I messed up it'd be so embarrassing.

The songs I'm considering doing are: Muscle Museum, Plug In Baby, Sing For Absolution and either No Surprises or Karma Police by Radiohead.

What do you lot think?

Karma Police, or There There if you can

It might be a bit less stressful for you if your first experience singing/playing in front of people is with a band. That way, you're not alone up there, you know? Being a solo artist takes nerves of steel. Even then, from what I hear, lots of artists are scared shit before every show! :eek: But if you never try, you'll probably regret it. :)

The only problem with getting a band together is that everyone in my year who can play an instrument is already in a band :(

If its just you up there you should oh most definitely not do No Suprises or Muscle Museum. No Suprises is good because of the 3 guitars + Xylophone + Occasional strings working together and MM has some empty guitar spots that even if you managed to fill wouldn't sound great.

Yeah I must admit those two had me thinking. No Surprises I definitely can't do, there's way too many layers that are important. Muscle Museum...I don't know to be honest, that's one of the songs I'm most comfortable with vocally but I agree with you about the empty spots. I could swap it for Nature_1, Megalomania (not sure if the audience would enjoy that :chuckle:) or Cave?

Hey Everyone,

Im here to share my cover of Plugin Baby from Muse, Will be covering other Muse songs as well. Idk if this is the right section, if not please move it to the right one.

Leave a comment Below saying what you think, dont be afraid to criticize.

Hope you enjoy it, if you do Share/Subscribe.

Hello Forum,

My first post ;), Thought I would share a cover I've made some time ago too. I'm kinda proud of it if I say so myself. I've used a mp3 track with no guitar so all you hear is me, and put in some variations I made up.

Supermassive Black Hole.

http://youtu.be/7d2Uq0VMQaY

Tips are of course welcome ;)

(and yea I look a bit weird at the camera sometimes, It was my first cover and I was checking if the guitar was in view xD.

Hope you like it.

The only problem with getting a band together is that everyone in my year who can play an instrument is already in a band :(

Are those bands already planning on being in the talent contest? If not, will one or two of them learn a song and play it with you just for that one contest? You never know -- they may decide that you're a better musician than whoever they're currently playing with. That's how Chris ended up with Muse. ;)

Are those bands already planning on being in the talent contest? If not, will one or two of them learn a song and play it with you just for that one contest? You never know -- they may decide that you're a better musician than whoever they're currently playing with. That's how Chris ended up with Muse. ;)

Nah, I don't like any of them to be honest :p I'm a very different person to them.

I've just tried Muscle Museum with just me and the guitar and it doesn't sound too bad. The only bit I'm really concerned about is the intro. I'm not sure how many songs I'm supposed/allowed to do but I think I've decided on: Muscle Museum, Karma Police and Sing For Absolution and if there's space/I have to do one more then I'll throw in Plug In Baby.

Overall, I think I've persuaded myself into doing this. When the competition comes round I'll let you guys know how I do and I may end up posting covers in the future :shifty: Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone :)

I've just tried Muscle Museum with just me and the guitar and it doesn't sound too bad. The only bit I'm really concerned about is the intro. I'm not sure how many songs I'm supposed/allowed to do but I think I've decided on: Muscle Museum, Karma Police and Sing For Absolution and if there's space/I have to do one more then I'll throw in Plug In Baby.

Just curious -- how are you planning on playing MM? Are you going to play the chord progression during the verses? There's very little guitar in the verses on the studio version. Also, are you planning on playing the "riff" in Plug In Baby? Because if your very nervous, that could be difficult to do. Believe it or not, Undisclosed Desires is a beautiful song when done acoustically. :)

IOverall, I think I've persuaded myself into doing this. When the competition comes round I'll let you guys know how I do and I may end up posting covers in the future :shifty: Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone :)

Awesome! I applaud your bravery! :):):)

Just curious -- how are you planning on playing MM? Are you going to play the chord progression during the verses? There's very little guitar in the verses on the studio version. Also, are you planning on playing the "riff" in Plug In Baby? Because if your very nervous, that could be difficult to do. Believe it or not, Undisclosed Desires is a beautiful song when done acoustically. :)

Awesome! I applaud your bravery! :):):)

I plan on filling the silence with the little bits Matt used to play live and by tinkering around with the parts that are already there to make them seem more significant and less boring. The Plug In Baby riff isn't an issue really, I've been playing it for years, I'm just as likely to mess up on the others as Plug In Baby :p I considered Undisclosed Desires to be honest but the songs I've chosen are the songs I'm most comfortable with vocally, UD isn't one I'm confident with.

Thanks by the way :)

I plan on filling the silence with the little bits Matt used to play live and by tinkering around with the parts that are already there to make them seem more significant and less boring. The Plug In Baby riff isn't an issue really, I've been playing it for years, I'm just as likely to mess up on the others as Plug In Baby :p I considered Undisclosed Desires to be honest but the songs I've chosen are the songs I'm most comfortable with vocally, UD isn't one I'm confident with.

Thanks by the way :)

See...... You totally have your shit together. :) Your going to do just fine! I wouldn't be surprised if you win. :)

See...... You totally have your shit together. :) Your going to do just fine! I wouldn't be surprised if you win. :)

Ha cheers, there's some pretty good singers at this school though so I doubt I'd win :p

Also I was wondering, should I go for full chest with the "exhumed" in Sing For Absolution or should I do it in falsetto? I know Sippe said that people often use falsetto for high chest notes when playing acoustically and that it actually sounds better but in this case I'm not sure :erm:

Ha cheers, there's some pretty good singers at this school though so I doubt I'd win :p

Also I was wondering, should I go for full chest with the "exhumed" in Sing For Absolution or should I do it in falsetto? I know Sippe said that people often use falsetto for high chest notes when playing acoustically and that it actually sounds better but in this case I'm not sure :erm:

Well, personally I think it would sound better in chest. But Matt chose not to do it here in an acoustic performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paOMgH_pqp4

You're performing in front of an audience?

If you can do the last part convincingly, then you should definitely go for it. A live audience usually gets impressed by very little(even a falsetto D5 can make people go "wow"), and SFA is more than very little :awesome:

You're performing in front of an audience?

If you can do the last part convincingly, then you should definitely go for it. A live audience usually gets impressed by very little(even a falsetto D5 can make people go "wow"), and SFA is more than very little :awesome:

Hi Sippe!

I'm confused as to whether you are recommending chest or falsetto here? :)

Got I am so critical of my own playing.... needs more legato :$:$

Sounded pretty good to me!

:kiss:

A few mistakes, but the tone was epic! Nice work!

Thanks, and yeah, it's a bit sloppy in places. Also, I didn't really play it like the album version, but more like the live showbiz era version

Sounded pretty good to me!

Thanks, and yeah, it's a bit sloppy in places. Also, I didn't really play it like the album version, but more like the live showbiz era version

Yeah the pre chorus bits were violent like how he played it live back then, rough and ready!