Yes, I agree with that, but I'm very perfectionnist when I record something, I can spend few hours on a cover and not releasing it because I'm not satisfied enough :LOL: It's good that you try to add your " touch " to the songs, but to me, muse is a band where you can't modify something in the rythmic section.

I think your covers could improve a lot if your tone was less fuzzy, and assuming you record with a microphone close to your amp, you should spend some times on trying different positions and angles, and also using a low cut filter on the original track to let you some " space " .

...and assuming you record with a microphone close to your amp, you should spend some times on trying different positions and angles, and also using a low cut filter on the original track to let you some " space " .

I record from different angle almost every time and use lpf on the originals/multitracks whenever possible :D

EDIT: Also, as for the less fuzz, I know. I even have an OS-2 to use to get somewhat Animato-ish tones, but it's just so much easier to go with the duality every time. And I just love fuzzy tones :p

Edited by 01fromfinland

Yes, I agree with that, but I'm very perfectionnist when I record something, I can spend few hours on a cover and not releasing it because I'm not satisfied enough :LOL: It's good that you try to add your " touch " to the songs, but to me, muse is a band where you can't modify something in the rythmic section.

I think your covers could improve a lot if your tone was less fuzzy, and assuming you record with a microphone close to your amp, you should spend some times on trying different positions and angles, and also using a low cut filter on the original track to let you some " space " .

Ehh, old comment, but I have to answer to this. See, in my opinion, people take covers WAY too seriously nowadays. Okay, you may be playing it perfectly, but you're just standing in front of the camera like a zombie. Where's the emotion? I don't care if there's some little mistakes in my own or some other's covers, as long as it actually seems you're enjoying the music rather than doing it as clean as you can. Just like bands, including Muse, when playing live, do they really care of some mistakes? It's just not the point in this kind of stuff imo.

So, rather than showing proficiency in playing a song and your instruments you'd prefer people seeing you mess up? Now that sounds strange to me!

I really don't like some of my old covers and I've removed most of them simply because they were bad.

So, why not go the extra mile of practicing a bit more, and working out a slightly better tone?

So, rather than showing proficiency in playing a song and your instruments you'd prefer people seeing you mess up? Now that sounds strange to me!

Now you're just putting words in my mouth. Minor mistakes here and there. You're saying pros never make mistakes?

I really don't like some of my old covers and I've removed most of them simply because they were bad.

So, why not go the extra mile of practicing a bit more, and working out a slightly better tone?

Surely judging people based on studio recordings that were likely edited from a number of takes is placing kind of high expectations on what is essentially people having fun in their bedrooms?

the breakdown riff at 2:56 and the shorter versions of that before it too.

Umm, I checked after recording, it's exactly like the tabs say, and not just one, but like 5 different... also, I know I goofed up the last one, but like said before, why would it have to be exactly like the recording?

Umm, I checked after recording, it's exactly like the tabs say, and not just one, but like 5 different... also, I know I goofed up the last one, but like said before, why would it have to be exactly like the recording?

The issue is you're mixing it in with the original recording, so you're clashing with that. Sounds like some parts you're struggling to play well. Not so much an issue of you not knowing the parts, but being rehearsed enough as a player to perform them confidently.

Just keep at it.

Umm, I checked after recording, it's exactly like the tabs say, and not just one, but like 5 different...

That doesn't mean a whole lot if the tabs aren't accurate. I'd trust what I actually hear, rather than the tabs.

Ehh, old comment, but I have to answer to this. See, in my opinion, people take covers WAY too seriously nowadays. Okay, you may be playing it perfectly, but you're just standing in front of the camera like a zombie. Where's the emotion? I don't care if there's some little mistakes in my own or some other's covers, as long as it actually seems you're enjoying the music rather than doing it as clean as you can. Just like bands, including Muse, when playing live, do they really care of some mistakes? It's just not the point in this kind of stuff imo.

See, that's the thing. I don't think people watch covers to SEE if someone is enjoying a certain band. If you're headbanging along to a song you like, then that's fair enough, but if you want to make a cover of it, other people are going to want to hear something close to the original as well.

I didnt mean to be rude with my comment, sorry if it was interprated in this way.

For me, thinking that if you don't headbang, you don't show emotion, is a bit simplist, Every one has his own feelings when we're playing.

Tell me, why do the vids get praise in TB, but in here it's bad if it's not 100% like the record?

I don't know. My first KoC piano cover got 38k views, 290 ups and 25 downs. I'm not happy with it anymore. The only reason I left it, is because it's linked from so many places.

I don't get satisfaction from seeing somebody headbanging, I get satisfaction from somebody playing the song well, showing how it's played, and sound adds to it.

Call me picky, overly critical, but I like seeing songs performed well. If that's a cover, play it well, change it entirely or work on it. This UNO cover is making it your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbjnzzlXTwc

I don't get satisfaction from seeing somebody headbanging, I get satisfaction from somebody playing the song well, showing how it's played, and sound adds to it.

Call me picky, overly critical, but I like seeing songs performed well. If that's a cover, play it well, change it entirely or work on it. This UNO cover is making it your own.

yeah that

Making it your own (provided it's done in a tasteful way :nerd: ) is probably better than doing a straight up cover that's played exactly like the studio recording, as it shows more versatility and creativity I guess.

The few covers that I've done have been audio only. Why? There's not really anything to see, and I don't want people paying all their attention to the person playing, but rather WHAT'S being played.

Or something

I don't know. A lot of that stuff Muse does on stage is part of their act... look at them in this soundcheck for example. Not really moving around at all, yet they don't really sound any different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmOGBv1ZWjQ

Right, so to show you what I mean I did a quick cover of how I'd play The Handler now, and my conclusions (write yours down, see what I wrote in the hidden box to see if it matches).

Mind, I just recorded it for playing, no fx on purpose.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/matthijsq/the-handler-bass-cover[/soundcloud]

(for some reason the embed won't work: https://soundcloud.com/matthijsq/the-handler-bass-cover )

- timing isn't right everywhere - although I couldn't hear my playing while recording in my current setup. Bit rushed in the chorus.

- I need to work on my pick timing as it's not tight

- tune your bass properly before playing -_-

Now, had I put FX on that, it might have sounded more 'epic' but it would just muffle up my mistakes. I love recording clean takes to really get if my playing is okay.

Edited by Matthijs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi!

A while ago I decided to try and do a different take on Mercy. First time posting here (some great stuff posted by you guys in the thread!) so let's see how it goes :)

Cheers!

Lovely vocal harmonies and synth settings! Honestly more dynamic variation than the actual version :D

I did a quick piano rendition of New Born, if anyone wants to give it a listen I'd much appreciate it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ectlpYkt1Q

It's, er, a bit fast :p