I'm learning to DJ

Neil.

How did it go? I really hope you didn't use a pre-mixed set :p

gig was exellent! everyone had a blast, and said the music was great. There was about 40 people there. I was really apprehensive about the song selection. I tried to have a good mix between electro-house and remixes of stuff that people would recognise a bit more, cos I knew everyone there wouldn't be into that electro-house stuff. As for the pre-mixed set, I started off with about 35mins of premixed (in the arrangement window) mainly just to settle my nerves, then I played about 1h30 of live mixing in session window. I had my minikp set up too, which was great for effects.

At the end of my set, before we went out, one of the guys there that I know from the year below me said he might be able to look into a gig in a club in the next few weeks, which sounds excellent. After playing that house party, I can definitely see why djs enjoy playing gigs so much!

Onwards and upwards, right? ;)

Grab yourself a pair of Stanton C.324's they've got loads more versatility, can create loops/samples, scratch, use vinyl or CD, a massive pitch shift limit and a few effects.

Turned this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zbv7DUSGTE

Into this; just doing an off the cuff live edit: http://www.filedropper.com/factory

Once you get your head round it using vinyl or cd is far more natural than laptop although some of the turntable based midi stuff is starting to get there. Plus setting up bands is easy, they're less temperamental and there's more room for expansion.

• 3 weeks later...

any USB or firewire soundcard...?

But you can get decent DI boxes intended for shitty on-board laptop cards and they work really well - might be a better investment?

I have a Presonus USB Audiobox. It took ages to figure out that if I wanted it working, it had to be in a specific USB socket, and the laptop had to have the power plugged in. It works fine now but drove me mad when I first got it. I'm not sure if i'd recommend it.

Archived