I'm learning to DJ

Neil.

I came multiple times at that post. Also, that gif is when he was attacked by a bee.

funny-skrillex-bee_132455836669.gif

Yeah that's what i was doing first, through the arrangement window, but one or two songs were giving me a bit of trouble to get it right. practice makes perfect, right?

Stay in the session window. It's pretty easy tbh - if in intro is too long/whatev, just move the clip start point. Dance music is pretty predictable in terms of structure on the whole though - if you get segments lined up at the beginning, you can guarantee they will finish together too :)

I came multiple times

ab422e.gif

I think i've found that pic on Gearslutz but i am not sure. (Gearslutz is a good source of anti skrillex/deadmau5 threads but there is a lot of really cool stuff there too, like this thread: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/458620-pop-sound-sources.html

Read it, it helps understanding synthesis and creating sounds)

A guy posted it who said that he analyzed loads of Skrillex videos and he came to the conclusion that Skrillex uses like 1 knob on his M-Audio Trigger Finger which is assigned to the Beat Repeat and that is all and he "mixes" tracks using the touchpad on his mac.

edit: and he asssigned some vocal samples to the pads on the TF, things like "OH MY GOD!!444" "CALL 911 NOW!!!" and stuff like that

edit2: some pasta:

[spoiler=WALLOFTEXT]

sorry, it's kind of an argumentative cop-out to employ this observation, but the fact that you actually BOUGHT all the Skrillex BS (succesfully transitioned overnight, produces on just laptop with ableton with some shitty speakers) pretty much instantly singles you out as either young, or simple.

a) i was "there" when he was in a "hardcore" band. i was very much into post-hardcore at the time From First to Last started "trending", and that band, plus the wave of imitators that followed (Aiden, for example) was both a the first and final nail in its coffin. Atrocious music that single-handedly attracted the derogatory use of the "emo" handle. i have nothing against high-pitched vocals, but there are miles of lines in the sand between this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPH5qpbgro

and this

if the second vid doesn't instantly cause you to go "gaaaaaaaayyy!!!!", then.... i dunno... i guess: enjoy your Twilight saga, tween fag.

i was gonna recommend some proper post-hardcore, but I'm going to wait for your feelings on FFTL, so I know if i'm wasting my time.

(cont)

2. he didn't transition shit. after leaving FFTL he struggled for years producing horrid near-outsider-music-quality emotronica shite like this

this is by far the most PASSABLE output from that timeframe, sadly the HILARIOUS shit that was on his myspace isn't there anymore

3. "darling child of dubstep", "music that rips people's heads off and tons of producers are trying to emulate" hahahaha. what, you've been reading mau5trap promos like they were actual reviews?

he first heard "dubstep" something like... one year ago, via a second-, if not a third-hand source: Borgore. he actually admits to this in an interview. as emo kids will be, he was instantly drawn to the sound. so, first he does some awful remixes and a shitty EP of "br000tal" "electrohouse" and "dubstep" "tunes" with awful cheesy speech-synth verses and sound-design based around the philosophy of turning distortion up to 11.

then media blackout.

(cont)

hen, 6 months later, album chock-full of tracks with top-notch production on the drops (I'll admit to that, but honestly who GIVES A SHIT about basses made with the "modern talking" wavetable in Massive anymore?! a horse beaten well into putrefaction, that) but with the most awful fucking melodies and dismally chopped-up whiny grating vocals in between the drops. almost like... parts on the same song weren't made by the same person! gasp...

of course, you have no idea who I am, nor will I make it in any way clear who I am, and you, of course, have no reason to believe me. but, nevertheless, the story goes like this:

Spor takes some time off from working on his debut album as Feed Me (which also comes out on mau5trap a couple of months after Skrillex's, and sounds almost like a much much much much better and bereft of the revoltingly, vomit-inducing saccharine cheese of the former) and reworks some of his album out-takes into usable drops.

Excision and Datsik get a call, make some guy some drum loops and some Massive patches, get paid.

Noisia are called in for a little R&D.

Deadmau5 (who is by no means untalented) looms over the entire process.

And so we arrive at this Frankenstein's monster of aggro popular dance music that is "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" (good name!). I find it really funny that this is being said in a Britney thread... quite appropriate. Same degree of a "collaborative" effort, nonetheless.

anyways, the "rips people's heads off" and "producers are trying to emulate" doesn't ring so true anymore, does it? i don't see anyone struggling to emulate the whiny emo crap he does by himself on top, more like i see people trying to emulate the kind of drops they've been trying to emulate for years, ever since excision, datsik, 16bit, noisia, spor, borgore and other splendid producers with appropriate mileage hit the spotlight.

(cont)

now you might be thinking... "but if he ain't doing anything himself, what would be the point of paying all these other guys to ghost produce, instead of just releasing more material by the guys themselves?"

well, very simple: excision is a guy from middle Canada with a hoodie, and kind of a hard man. noisia are three down to earth dudes from the netherlands. spor is a soft-spoken aphex fan. skrillex is a meth-head who chain smokes, tweeks out, looks like a goth Mowgli, and so on. and that will always do wonders for the angsty rebellious tween demographic. and skrillex had been on WB's roster ever since working with Ross Robinson on FFTL's Heroine. they saw an opportunity, and had the perfect poster child for it. they threw some wads of money around, did some beatport top 10 magic, and, voila, MrSparkle666 has a new favorite "dubstep" "musician" with heaps of "talent" to his name.

But, of course, you "don't care what anyone says". Fine, enjoy willful ignorance and willful bad taste.

(fin)

hmmm. came across an interesting image. This

DSC_0977.jpg

looks like he uses TWO beat reapeats. I'd imagine they have different grid patterns or something. Interestingly, I tried this out, and it makes sense. I really must do some work instead of mixing all day...

Haze do you DJ? Any recommended effects or anything to spice up my mix?

edit:

that's a pretty cool tutorial actually. must watch more of those...

I did link to a recent half hour set of mine in some other thread - http://www.sendspace.com/file/7vnxxq

Not DJ'ed out for a while, just house parties since I've been in London. In terms of effects, it all depends on how simple the source material is. If it's modern, heavily over-produced stuff, then it's hard to play with it. If you've got the ability to separate everything out, you can really go to town with it.

The only essential effect is a high pass filter, if you're mixing two songs together, two kick drums at the same time can be a bit messy.

I've just downloaded Virtual DJ from the basis of a post on the first page because I'm getting interested in DJing too. I quite fancy getting some of the more Post Hardcore Dance and Dubstep stuff out of my iTunes and doing some stuff to it, or making my own.

My friend DJ's under the name Wolf and we were thinking of doing a few things together. If I do anything notable I'll show you all here :) This is gonna be interesting...

yeah I agree. It's also a lot more expensive, and if you're not 100% spot on, you have a nasty dose of the fail on your hands. it's a lot easier/more forgiving this way. I'll openly admit there's less skill involved, but this way works for me, and even if it just ends up being a hobby, give-a-fuck/10.

yeah I agree. It's also a lot more expensive, and if you're not 100% spot on, you have a nasty dose of the fail on your hands. it's a lot easier/more forgiving this way. I'll openly admit there's less skill involved, but this way works for me, and even if it just ends up being a hobby, give-a-fuck/10.

You're not really learning to DJ though are you :p

It's actually pretty easy to be 100% spot on, at least as far as everyone else is concerned - remember you are listening way closer and are basically touching the music.

Fair enough it is way more expensive but you could go with a tracktor setup or whatever it's called... 1210s are dirt cheap!

• 2 weeks later...
I play in a band with a real DJ - vinyl and decks. He does hip-hop club nights too. It's so much more impressive to see a guy scratching and mixing live, but I guess that's going out of fashion?

It's not, still just as popular as ever, just with software, it's possible to do something different to what is possible with vinyl and allows you to focus your attention elsewhere.

The genre you're DJ'ing can determine what you use, within certain genres that have cropped up recently, a lot of it won't be released on vinyl or anything physical, so no use being too snobby about the medium.

right, so, i'm aware that the first bit of it is taken from what Swedish House Mafia play live, but it's a particularly good opening. This is my first effort anyway.

http://bit.ly/xI6X42

Don't like the tune selection enough to listen properly to the whole thing but I think you need to be a lot more brutal with the transitions - don't let one track finish before you bring in the next basically. Try starting a track when the previous one has a breakdown and then you should get them to drop at the same time, at which point you can play with it and cut between them/etc

hmmm. I'll try that. any of the sets i've listened to seem to do a mixture of both methods.

Is the song selection thing just cos you dont like house/electro, or something else?

Yeah I'm not saying do it all the time but if you have loads of really long outros going into really long intros, it gets quite boring!

I like house/electro, just not the trance-influenced cheesy europop style stuff that is all over the charts at the moment - David Guetta, swedish house mafia, etc. Prefer things a bit harder/dirtier!

Sure, it's not the medium i'm talking about but the technique of fast rhythmic scratching - so are people really doing this just as well with emulators? Any links?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wyFQP3joj0

Good example of using technology to improve something - she has a visual representation of what's going on and can load up tracks instantly so no need to sticker up records and/or wear rare tunes out.

Edit: plus she's about 13, ideal.

Yeah I'm not saying do it all the time but if you have loads of really long outros going into really long intros, it gets quite boring!

I like house/electro, just not the trance-influenced cheesy europop style stuff that is all over the charts at the moment - David Guetta, swedish house mafia, etc. Prefer things a bit harder/dirtier!

hmmm.... yeah i get what you mean. I'll definitiely keep that in mind. I'm getting loads of tips on how to improve it. Just gotta keep practicing I guess. ;)

Archived