I'm learning to DJ

Neil.

Hello my little enfants de la nuit,

I'm currently learning to DJ. My setup at the moment is a complete and utter mix of random equipment, that I'm fairly sure could be put together better. Anyway, it's basically:

Laptop (Ableton Live 8) > Korg miniKP > Mixer > Amp (NOT A GUITAR AMP LAWL!)

I've spent the last 2 days putting together a set in Ableton, that's mainly electro, house and dubstep (i know, wtf?!). It sounds ok, and i'm just tidying it up in arrangement at the moment. When I was recording it, I had a lot of the keys on my midi controller assigned for mixing. Things like crossfades, eq, fade + delay/reverb, channel volume, song queues etc etc. For the mastering part, I'd like to reassign these for effects and such, to make the mix sound a little sexier. I've seen a few local djs do this, where their set is essentially already prepared before they play life, and then they just make fun noises/effects during the set.

So, one of the ones I really want set up can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blR-7v_hC6E

On my miniKP, that's the looper effect. I like the way skrilly can just do loops by pressing the pads. That would be fucking sweet.

On a note of effects, I'm open to suggestions. Right now, the two I use a lot are EQ based effects, and downsampler.

Hopefuly, I'll be putting the mix up on soundcloud in the next few days. I'll type up the setlist anyway.

N

Skrillex is all show, he barely does anything. I used to Dj, (mostly Daft Punk :awesome: and Deadmau5) I used vinyls, but went to computer software, and I still have an hour long set made in Garageband ( Yes. I know. Garageband. It's filters an effects are pretty cool actually. :phu: ) And I tried some free software Called Virtual Dj. It's absolutely great for beginners, Just shows you that things don't only do what it says on the tin :)

yeah, i'm thinking that might be the direction I'll go in. I found this tutorial, which is fucking perfect:

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mixing-mastering/how-to-use-ableton%E2%80%99s-beat-repeat-effect-for-live-performance/

I'm thinking what I'll probably do is have the set all ready to go, use beat repeat + redux for effects in ableton, EQ in ableton, and any other effects via KP. Basically, the same as yours :LOL: . From what i've learnt so far, the absolute #1 priority, above successful mixing between songs etc etc, is having a selection of really good songs that people will want to actually grove and/or seisure to.

hahahahaha! A friend of mine just asked me if i have an alias for playing live, in the event that i get asked to play creamfields. I asked him "Is Skrillex already taken?"

Jack the Ripper, with a filthy white stripes intro, would be a good one, but I'm far too new to be thinking of shit like that :LOL:

hmmm.... I'm using 4 'channels' in ableton, but realistically, 2 makes more sense. I started with 4 cos i was organising them into categories like house and electro, but 2 makes way more sense, even for working with things like crossfader etc.

edit:

also, we have a lot of songs in common :LOL: i'll go get a screenshot.

edit2:

6DE0n.jpg

yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I might do something like set up a 3rd channel for one-shot sound effects. That could be handy.

edit:

have you played much live? is it as fucking phenomenal as everyone is telling me?

It's good fun...well as long as you don't accidentally launch a track or hit stop by accident :facepalm:

Never use Beat Repeat when you're DJ'ing other people's material, so easy to lose where you are and end up with really dodgy mixing.

Do all your re-editing before you perform. DJ'ing is all about preparation, not effects.

edit:

have you played much live? is it as fucking phenomenal as everyone is telling me?

In reality it's a bit annoying. Everyone thinks they know better because they want to hear their favourite song. The best kind of "DJ'ing" is doing purely your own material, as you can do whatever you like.

I'm just used to having to do it at house parties and nights organised by friends as my music collection is far bigger than theirs.

that's how i plan on starting off. house parties with friends seems the way to go, cos if you make a mistake, they wont really give a shit.

No but they will think you're a dick if all you're doing is adding effects to a pre-programmed set..! I mean you may as well just play someone else's mix off an ipod through the kaos pad.

1.) Put an identical set of tracks on both 'decks', otherwise you are limiting the tracks you can mix together.

2.) Set each deck up with the DJ EQ

3.) Put filters, beat repeats and delays on the master channel (either have one per type or get clever with the mapping so one knob twist turns it on and changes speed/depth/cutoff/resonance/etc)

The most important thing if you insist on using ableton, is to get the transitions in the right place - there's no excuse for not having them perfect if you take beatmatching out of the picture:p

DAT WATERS OF NAZARETH

btw i know nothing about the subject but this is supposedly what sonny's screen look like when he "plays" a gig

Wfrde.png

also this:

w7mnlu.gif

I came multiple times at that post. Also, that gif is when he was attacked by a bee.

funny-skrillex-bee_132455836669.gif

Where did you find the screenshot of his setup btw?

No but they will think you're a dick if all you're doing is adding effects to a pre-programmed set..! I mean you may as well just play someone else's mix off an ipod through the kaos pad.

1.) Put an identical set of tracks on both 'decks', otherwise you are limiting the tracks you can mix together.

2.) Set each deck up with the DJ EQ

3.) Put filters, beat repeats and delays on the master channel (either have one per type or get clever with the mapping so one knob twist turns it on and changes speed/depth/cutoff/resonance/etc)

The most important thing if you insist on using ableton, is to get the transitions in the right place - there's no excuse for not having them perfect if you take beatmatching out of the picture:p

Yeah that's what i was doing first, through the arrangement window, but one or two songs were giving me a bit of trouble to get it right. practice makes perfect, right?

Archived