Human Gear Animato

Allex

• 3 months later...
With Germaniums :awesome:

How about... an Animato/Voshkod in one pedal with clean blend :awesome:

Voskhod won't have germs. :( Be a bit too costly and unnecessary IMO. Our producer wants one though after we used it to record. :) I hope to produce it at the same time but start up funding is tight. Just spent $1,000 at my shop to fix the hot water *sighs*

Also, maybe that pedal is planned ;) It's nicknamed the Wolstenhammer. :LOL:

Edited by Crowella

I guess I'm going to have to make a batch at the same time at this rate because a lot of people are asking for one, understandably. The whole reason I wanted one is I wasn't happy with any of the modern reissues either. The footprint is too large and I think the gain is personally over excessive. Cutting it back seems to bring more lows back in.

Might have to redesign the board tonight to match the animated and get the design ready for cases if the demand is there. Got 20 odd Voskhod boards made but I misprinted some part labels and it sounded so tinny if I followed it exactly *whoops*

I guess I'm going to have to make a batch at the same time at this rate because a lot of people are asking for one, understandably. The whole reason I wanted one is I wasn't happy with any of the modern reissues either. The footprint is too large and I think the gain is personally over excessive. Cutting it back seems to bring more lows back in.

Might have to redesign the board tonight to match the animated and get the design ready for cases if the demand is there. Got 20 odd Voskhod boards made but I misprinted some part labels and it sounded so tinny if I followed it exactly *whoops*

Theres only really three Muff clones in smaller enclosures that I can think of - the COG Tarkin, the Shift Line Pi, and the SFX Micro Fuzz.

All are in 1590 cases, cost a fucking bomb, and are based on the same big muff circuit (v7c green russian).

Only the shift line is a true Muff clone, being fair, though. And you have to get it from bloody Russia!

Well, this is based off the V7C, with a few exceptions:

Adjustable clean blend, because if you want to use all the tone stack, you might want to retain some low end (yes, even on a BMP)

Lower gain transistors on all stages, makes a subtle difference

Pull down resistor (no huge deal)

Different power filter caps (not exactly big deal either),

One cap change in the tone stack. The 0.0039uF is a 0.0047uF (cause availability and slight change)

One resistor change in the tone stack (both 22k like modern)

The 1590a enclosures are fun to make but there is one reality a lot of people don't realize right up. They are absolute ass to keep still unless you velcro absolutely everything to a board.

Voskhod is likely to be $200AUD, which is what, 150USD atm *shrugs*

Sign me up for that too.

But also, how well does Voskhod work on a 6 string electric? I would imagine better than the animated/animato circuit anyway, which is semi usable. I have no idea what that was actually designed for, but I'd guess they didn't really intend it to be used exclusively for bass with a clean blend and all.

Just gave it a whirl with the Londaxe (that has some new Bare Knuckles in it, woo), it tracks fantastically, exactly like you would expect a big muff too. If you want chords, sustain down to 9, tone up a fair bit higher, seems to do a nice job, especially on a crunch setting like I get on the THR-5. Other than that, it's that sustain fuzz that works better for individual notes.

(was fun in drop D playing Audioslave)

It is tough to be cheap here because I'm normally paying out my ass with shipping. Hence all the forwarding services and trickery.

(Also because many US suppliers refuse to sell germanium transistors overseas)

You're doing it right, though. Chin up, be proud!

Definitely taking that advice on board. I think a few people expressed their frustrations at customs to me. It'll likely be half the value.

Wired up the first prototype board. Aww yes. This is becoming my replacement over the original I made. Looking at reducing the second BMP stage resistor to try and reduce the overall noise.

14205929_1265413896826733_2146267760931369650_o.jpg

This is what it was going to look like board wise, but I am scrapping the onboard jacks. The measuring for that is going to be a headache and it'll give me some extra freedom with drilling. I don't want half a millimetre being the issue :(

14233098_1265099503524839_3786042289540028772_n.jpg?oh=de942fb897e6c850ed9aa31f119a3f17&oe=583B5D54

I'm with you on that, I never want to wire pots again, such a nightmare. Did it with the first builds and I was hating everything about it, it took almost half my build time.

I'm just being *careful* about the future repairs. A part of me is getting really paranoid about board failures from people plugging jacks back in and out of it and tightening it. If only solder was as strong as a proper weld. :( Doesn't help that the jacks I bought are the tightest squeeze into a 1590B.

To put it into comparison, I used to only build 1-2 pedals a day during the first revision. The second got it to about 4 a day. This will likely be 4-6 a day. I know that seems slow but I work every day and this will be usually done between 8pm and 3am where I should probably be sleeping. This was really easy to wire up tonight, managed to knock it out in just around an hour and a bit.

EDIT: Gating the gain stage btw, such a good way to tighten up the sound, possible mod option but if I do it, I'll get all the "zomg, this doesn't sound like an animato, rip off etc"

Edited by Crowella

So uh... When I buy the germanium transistors, did anyone in the US want to do me a solid and ship them over? Just used a forwarding service. $120 for six germaium transistors is overkill. :/

$50AUD in shipping from the forwarding place to here. FML, Australia Post.

What Ge transistors are you buying?

You know they're available from Farnell in Australia as new production?

EDIT: I just thought that might sound like i'm trying to be a smart ass, but I was just wondering why you're not able to pick them up on your continent? They're current production, so i'd suggest they're probably available at a lot of suppliers.

Edited by Jaicen