DnB Kick + Snare

Xut

I don't really listen to this genre. I think in general it's good to try and develop your own sound, rather than trying to conform to a genre.

I would imagine for DnB most of the low end comes from the bass, so you'll need a smaller kick drum to cut through, and for some jojo mayer style snare work a piccolo snare would respond well (or you could just crank the fuck out of your existing snare depending on what it is).

there are live DnB acts with acoustic sounds

This. I actually hate the way Pendulum trigger their drums, Jojo Mayer's snare sound (there is a vid of it) is probably the way to go, for now at least.

Our drummer has a rather small bass-drum too, it does sound quite powerful how we like it, does need some tweaking though.

Thanks for the replies so far by the way, I think we'll see how far we get with what we have now, any suggestions are welcome!

Where's he gone?

Yeah, and cut the lows below 70hzor something right? is that something the soundguy can easily (be instructed to) do?

lows below 70Hz on the kick? I don't know, not necessarily. It's just that the thump will need to come from the kick drum, and a lot of these "dubby" bass sounds are very heavy in the low mids which means if they are attacking at the same time as the kick drum you'll just get muddy wump rather than bouncy thump.

Where's he gone?

lows below 70Hz on the kick? I don't know, not necessarily. It's just that the thump will need to come from the kick drum, and a lot of these "dubby" bass sounds are very heavy in the low mids which means if they are attacking at the same time as the kick drum you'll just get muddy wump rather than bouncy thump.

Well those dubby basses you're talking about in my opnion, if for example you take a song like Showdown from Pendulum, the bass is almost only subbass and the kick is actually a bit higher around the 90hz mark I believe.

you're probably right. I'm just saying think about it in terms of dynamics as well as frequencies. If you give your kick a slow attack on the compressor and the bass a fast attack, you'll get plenty of thump out of the kick without the bass interfering in those vital milliseconds.

You're right about that ofcourse, I mean, around here it happens so many times that you sometimes dont even notice the bassdrum in the mix, its there, but it doesnt fill up anything on its own, it 'struggles' to be heard.

I saw a band a little while ago that had 2 guitarists, a bassist and a synth player (no drummer). The synth guy provided all the 'drumming', and he had a hipstermac, a keyboard (i'm assuming a midi controller one) and another midi controller, a pad type one. In anycase, some of the songs they played had a pretty typical indie drum track to them, while others had a much more synthy, dub sound to them. would this kind of an option suit?

NOO!!

You need a real drummer for energy

implying shitty humans can sound heavier than layers of samples, massive eqing, advanced sidechain compression, parallel and multiband compression, carefully carved reverb, artifical stereo images, different harmonics generating plugins, (distos, clippers, fuzzes etc.) limiting, and some other magic stuff going on at the same time.

implying shitty humans can sound heavier than layers of samples' date=' massive eqing, advanced sidechain compression, parallel and multiband compression, carefully carved reverb, artifical stereo images, different harmonics generating plugins, (distos, clippers, fuzzes etc.) limiting, and some other magic stuff going on at the same time.[/quote']

yeh, gigs are 100% about the intricacies of individual drum sounds.

You listen to a CD, you watch a gig. Watch a band with a drummer, then watch one with a drum machine - which one has more energy?

two bands which you like equally, one has a drum machine, one has a live drummer. The one with the live drummer is better to watch. There's no rational argument against that. Drum machines don't move therefore they're not as good to watch.

That is true but for an electronic act i'd still get a drummer who triggers samples (through triggers attached to a real drumkit for the cool live vibe) instead of a miced up drumkit.

Archived