Song Muse/Matt put the most heart into?

Xvm27

i dont think it's easy to tell with matt, as you often cant tell by the lyrics and when asked about the songs, he tends to talk a lot about the process of writing/developping them but he shares v little on what they mean to him on a personal level.

the exception may be NSC; cant remember him being as open about any song as he was with that one. going by what he said in the interview when they released it (interview with zane lowe?) NSC meant quite a bit to him when he wrote it.

i'd say exogenesis is an obvious guess too. not only it was something he put a lot of effort into but it seems to be one of those songs where he talks about 'big things' to cover up a bit the fact that he's actually talking about something going on in his life. it's something he does often in his lyrics.

i dont think it's easy to tell with matt, as you often cant tell by the lyrics and when asked about the songs, he tends to talk a lot about the process of writing/developping them but he shares v little on what they mean to him on a personal level.

the exception may be NSC; cant remember him being as open about any song as he was with that one. going by what he said in the interview when they released it (interview with zane lowe?) NSC meant quite a bit to him when he wrote it.

i'd say exogenesis is an obvious guess too. not only it was something he put a lot of effort into but it seems to be one of those songs where he talks about 'big things' to cover up a bit the fact that he's actually talking about something going on in his life. it's something he does often in his lyrics.

I think he's said Muscle Museum was a personal song. I think the whole 'big things to represent personal things' is clear in Space Dementia as well.

I think the 'big things to represent personal things' holds for a lot of The Resistance. I'm sure I've seen an interview where Matt says it's the first time he's opened up to his emotions in his songwriting, although you can find lots of examples of 'big things to represent personal things' throughout their career. Exogenesis is probably the most dramatic example. As well as the lyrics being easy to interperate into a more personal meaning, there's the amount of time and effort he put into making it.

I thikn Citizen Erased, especially the ending, has a lot of emotion put into it as well.

I wonder if saying "Good news is she can't have babies" bothers him now Bing's in the world. He seemed to slur his words/not say it properly more than usual at R/L.

I don't think there's anything to read into that. It just fits the song and the delivery better. It's just a song, and it's not about Kate and Bing, so why would he have a problem singing it?

I can think of no other reason. Considering they played it at most gigs during TR tour though, it would've been played anyway.

It probably would have been played anyway, but at Glastonbury it deffinitely had a much more emotional context in it. It's probably the only time it hasn't sounded hollow and put-on.

I don't think there's anything to read into that. It just fits the song and the delivery better. It's just a song, and it's not about Kate and Bing, so why would he have a problem singing it?

So much wrong with this that I don't even know what to say.

...okay, I do. Do you really think that the purpose anything was written means it can't ever bring up other emotions?

A song about your parents dying would probably be a lot less...fun to play after 2004, despite not being about that event.

Do you really think that the purpose anything was written means it can't ever bring up other emotions?

No, of course songs can bring up different emotions. Are you suggesting Matt sang that line with a more slurred delivery because it made him feel awkward? He sang most of the song, and Space Dementia in that sort of style, and yes, it probably was uncomfortable to sing the line, but that's not the reason he slurred it.

No, of course songs can bring up different emotions. Are you suggesting Matt sang that line with a more slurred delivery because it made him feel awkward? He sang most of the song, and Space Dementia in that sort of style, and yes, it probably was uncomfortable to sing the line, but that's not the reason he slurred it.

No, I'm just saying that "It wasn't written about them so there shouldn't be any problem" is nonsense.

About Space Dementia, was at Reading&Leeds that Matt sang "She gives me all I need" instead of "It gives me all I need" in the 2nd line for the first time? (I think so)

Before listening to it, I was so sure that this was as much bullshit as the comments about him singing "Kate is the one for me", but it does actually sound like he sings "she"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Host. First time I'd listened to it in ages and I remembered just how emotional it was. Not gonna lie, it's one of the few songs in the world that never fails to make me shed a tear.

"And if my wish comes true, you'll never see me again." :'(

I find that Spiral Static, Twin (though that one's probably debatable), Megalomania, Butterflies & Hurricanes, New Born, Ruled by Secrecy, Sing for Absolution, Hyper Music, and the Exogenesis Symphonies all give a pretty emotional vibe.

Archived