Map of the Problematique guitar sound

Str4t0c4st3r

tl;dr?.. does tl mean too long?

And does anyone have Guitar Rig 4 settings/patch for the volume swell-type effect just before the vocals kick in? I'm guessing it's an analogue sequencer and a volume pedal but i'm unsure of the settings

oh, my bad, I was kinda desperate for help with it so I didn't think about that, well, one of the problems I mentioned has been sorted already, but the other one: the sequencers I use on guitar rig to control the pitch pedals run all the time, not just when I play, so the effect isn't always in time, is there any way to fix this? A way to ensure the sequencers only run when I start playing?

Oh and sorry to be impatient and all, (I've posted this request in the Tab Request thread already) but I really need an MotP guitar backing track for tonight, even if it's just a MIDI one, I can't find, real or MIDI anywhere, any ideas/links?

I try the Molten MIDI 2 method but the damn thing doesn't work. I plug it all in but the MM2 is just unresponsive and is always stuck on a yellow/orange light. Anyone know what the problem could be?

• 4 months later...
well, aside from the fact I don't have the cash atm to get a Molten MIDI and a Whammy, the MM method doesnt allow you to switch between the 2 pitch shifting patterns does it? that's what Ive been told, so I went for the software option

Guitar Rig has a VST plugin, can use it in other programs. I create my effects, and load them into Reaper, and can then control the whammy through MIDI in Reaper. This allows you to sync everything up exactly with the track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There was a guy on YT who had a link to the MIDI file download, but the link's long been broken it seems. The file itself isn't that difficult to make yourself, so long as you know the octave patterns for the song (1 main one, 1 variation) You can use a sequencer in Guitar Rig too, but it's overall more easy and less time consuming to make an accurate one in Cubase or Reaper or something

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pgd6ux

Done this before, but done a new one quickly to demonstrate roughly what it sounds like when done correctly with a vocoder and not a Whammy.

Done in Ableton Live using Tension for the "guitar" with the channel muted.

Analog for the synthesizer set to a square wave with the filter turned down a bit > Vocoder with the carrier signal from the "guitar" and everything left on default settings > Marshall JCM800 emulation for no specific reason.

The synth plays the pattern, which changes root note based on the chord being played.

1. Is this method doable in Ableton Live 8.0.4?

2. If so, could you do a brief tutorial on how to achieve what you did?

3. Probably should have asked this first, but, did you use a hardware vocoder, or a software one that is/is not included with Ableton?

I use Ableton Live Suite 8.4.1 (If you're still using 8.0.x, upgrade immediately to a newer version as they added one or two things in 8.2.0, but basically everything needed is in all versions of 8.x) and everything was done using Ableton's stock instruments and vocoder, only the guitar amp emulation was 3rd party.

The setup is quite simple actually:

1 - Create an audio channel for your guitar (In my example I used a synthesizer because I was being lazy) and the mute this channel

2 - Create a MIDI channel and choose any synthesizer you like, its only being used for a basic square or saw wave anyway and create a clip with the note pattern.

3 - On the MIDI/synth channel add Ableton's vocoder or a 3rd party one if you happen to have one, although this may require more messing about. With the vocoder, change the carrier input to that from the audio channel with your guitar

4 - Either output the signal to your amplifier or add an amp simulation if you want.

If unsure of anything, look on Youtube for a video on setting up Live's vocoder. The setup won't be much different to the traditional way of using one, just instead of vocals, you're using a guitar. The only difference is to use the vocoder on the synth track with the carrier signal from the guitar, rather than the opposite way round/traditional method.

Cheers! Never used Ableton before (more of a Cubase guy myself) but it shouldn't be too hard to get done, been looking for a new MOTP sound as the quality I get from GR's pitch shifting is pretty bad.

And yes, the Whammy is all that's required money-wise, I mean, you need to get something like Cubase, Ableton, or Reaper, but those can be, ah, acquired, if you know what I mean :eyebrows:

Archived