Map of the Problematique guitar sound

Str4t0c4st3r

Speaking of MIDI controlled Whammy pedals, a thought came into my head the other day. Why don't they just have their midi loop switching gear and other digital stuff controlled using a DAW like MoTP does with the whammy. They'd just run the MIDI commands alongside the click tracks/backing tracks and neither them or their techs would have to worry about changing between different sounds. They could even do automation. Volume swells, slowly bringing up the level of a reverb etc. All without anyone having to touch anything.

Because Matt actually uses a pitch shifter in his rack for Motp so doing that would require an entire overhaul of a rig that works perfectly as it is.

Well of course it would require an overhaul. Doesn't change the fact that it's still an (appealing) possibility

Because Matt actually uses a pitch shifter in his rack for Motp so doing that would require an entire overhaul of a rig that works perfectly as it is.

Not really, as long as the Whammy doesn't require the same MIDI channel as the loop switcher, it shouldn't be a problem. I think that's maybe why he hasn't done it yet.

I was trying to figure out how I'd run my rig+loop switcher with MIDI commands and it would work as long as my M13 and the loop switcher (would be a Voodoo Lab gcx in this case) were operating on different MIDI channels. The GCX only accepts MIDI channel 16. While muse don't use these particular switchers, they probably have the same restriction. Meaning that if Matt ran his rig entirely through MIDI commands, Chris couldn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a quick question, has anyone got the midi file to control the whammy for this to hand? I would like to give it a go. :LOL:

Edit: Techno wizardry skills and google led me to write my own!

Edited by Mobius

Apologies for the double post. But unsurprisingly really it sounds awful when you play chords, anyone tried it with a Whammy DT/V to see if it fares better?

Its mainly out of curiosity, I've just been using it at an exercise to program a whammy tonight.

Use Reaper. I must have recommended Reaper about a million times on this board now.

I've been trying to get this working in Reaper for a while, and just haven't managed to get it... Does anyone have a MOTP Reaper file they would be willing to send? I would really appreciate help with this song.

I've been trying to get this working in Reaper for a while, and just haven't managed to get it... Does anyone have a MOTP Reaper file they would be willing to send? I would really appreciate help with this song.

I've just pm'd you a link to my MIDI file. You'll need to drag the file into a new track and it shall automatically stick it in a MIDI track for you in reaper. :)

I've just pm'd you a link to my MIDI file. You'll need to drag the file into a new track and it shall automatically stick it in a MIDI track for you in reaper. :)

Just asking can I have it also please? I've been having trouble getting it to work so I'd like to see if maybe I just did the MIDI track wrong.

• 5 weeks later...
Use Reaper. I must have recommended Reaper about a million times on this board now.

can you tell me how you got the effect with reaper?

I've a pod hd500 and it has midi.I can't use cubase 5 or 6 because i've a laggy laptop for now.it can only run cubase 4 but it it would be better if its possible to get it through reaper

Yeah what Chedda said, just insert the midi commands into reaper and then send them to your device.

I've a cubase 6 file for the pod that i got from a guy and it wont run on cubase 4 so i don't know how it would be possible then unless i make the midi track in cubase 4 which i'm not that clear how to make

Edited by falsettobells

No sorry, I don't actually know where it is as I generally use Guitar Rig for MOTP these days. It's not that hard to figure out with a bit of searching. As long as you have a little knowledge of midi and the cc's you need to be changing you should be fine. Also mine was setup to control a Behringer Virtualizer Pro so the cc's I used probably wont work with the pod.

Yeah what Chedda said, just insert the midi commands into reaper and then send them to your device.

Are you talking about this

Hey guys,

so I set up my own octave-sequencer thingie on my digitech RP355 the following way:

-1,0,+1,0,+1,0,-1,0,+1,0,+1,0,-1,0,+1,0

(0 stands for whammy off position)

but every fourth bar on this song (except for the intro) goes a little bit different and I just can't figure it out. I've been looking around on google for quite a while but nothing useful. can anyone help?

Edit:

Alright guys, I just found it on muselive. If anyone is interested, the fourth bar goes like this:

+1,0,-1,0,+1,0,-1,0,-1,0,+1,0,-1,0,+1,0

Can you explain in detail how to enter all of this.I'm new when it comes to DAW softwares

Enter it manually into Reaper using the midi editor, the pattern for the octaves is in this thread somewhere.

the ones aorfix gave me (which i posted in this thread) didn't actually work properly. the only way I actually got it working properly was getting the MIDI file off someone....which wouldn't sync with the song for some reason, then I gave up.

the whammy functions are supposedly

off down off up off up off down off up off up off down off up

then there are two variations

off up off down off up off down off down off up off down off up

and

off up off down off up off up off down off up off down off up

so all that really needs to be done is find what numbers are needed for that on the whammy (it should be something like 3, 4, 20, and 21) and put that in the MIDI editor

Are you talking about this

Hey guys,

so I set up my own octave-sequencer thingie on my digitech RP355 the following way:

-1,0,+1,0,+1,0,-1,0,+1,0,+1,0,-1,0,+1,0

(0 stands for whammy off position)

but every fourth bar on this song (except for the intro) goes a little bit different and I just can't figure it out. I've been looking around on google for quite a while but nothing useful. can anyone help?

Edit:

Alright guys, I just found it on muselive. If anyone is interested, the fourth bar goes like this:

+1,0,-1,0,+1,0,-1,0,-1,0,+1,0,-1,0,+1,0

Can you explain in detail how to enter all of this.I'm new when it comes to DAW softwares

That's the correct pattern. I have no experience with a pod so you need to find out what cc you need to be changing to control the pitch shifter and what values you need to be sending. Just read some tutorials on Reaper regarding midi and you should be fine. I'm not going to spoon feed you it as I managed to figure it out for myself and so should you.

No sorry, I don't actually know where it is as I generally use Guitar Rig for MOTP these days. It's not that hard to figure out with a bit of searching. As long as you have a little knowledge of midi and the cc's you need to be changing you should be fine. Also mine was setup to control a Behringer Virtualizer Pro so the cc's I used probably wont work with the pod.

Can you give me the guitar rig preset?

That's the correct pattern. I have no experience with a pod so you need to find out what cc you need to be changing to control the pitch shifter and what values you need to be sending. Just read some tutorials on Reaper regarding midi and you should be fine. I'm not going to spoon feed you it as I managed to figure it out for myself and so should you.

ok i think i'm now starting to understand a bit more so there would be numbers for octave up and octave down in the form of cc messages right?