Neil.

Dear Niall

But then he was genuinely not being a twat this time and making good posts, then he gets banned for that. I mean, it does seem a little ridiculous how uptight everything surrounding the word is, and I just think that even though he was warned or whatever before that a full year ban is ridiculous

+1

feel like the effort involved in pulling on my beef waders was a waste of time

:LOL:

I wish I was on more than 15 posts per page because that was a complete waste of time. Send the vultures home.

Amateurs.

Absolutely not if it had been seen by a staff member or reported. I can promise you, that's not ok and if that's slipped by us, apologies.

No need to apologize. It was never used in any insulting manner and I have no problem with leaving it be.

Absolutely not if it had been seen by a staff member or reported. I can promise you, that's not ok and if that's slipped by us, apologies.

Wasn't Ed banned for racist posts/using the N word?

Wasn't Ed banned for racist posts/using the N word?

And a few others.*

*were banned for similar behaviors

Edited by JessicaSarahS
clarification

Also I gotta admit, least on this board have not seen use of the N word. Unless people are just talking about the Kanye/JayZ song

I am straight. And yes, I have been gay bashed. For years. Which is why your condescending posts are very amusing to me. Because as per usual, you (general "you") just assume things. At least not all the mods have the same superiority complex that you do.

I am straight.

And yes, I have been gay bashed

No. Sorry then, no you haven't. You can't be a straight person and say that you have been abused for a sexuality that isn't yours.

You have been bullied and called "gay"? Is that what you are saying? And you can't understand why using those words is not ok?

:LOL:

I wish I was on more than 15 posts per page because that was a complete waste of time. Send the vultures home.

Amateurs.

Well anyone who said it was b33f was wrong. The b33f is just surrounding Alex's ban really

And a few others.*

*were banned for similar behaviors

And rightly so.

Well anyone who said it was b33f was wrong. The b33f is just surrounding Alex's ban really

AHHH, ok.

No. Sorry then, no you haven't. You can't be a straight person and say that you have been abused for a sexuality that isn't yours.

You have been bullied and called "gay"? Is that what you are saying? And you can't understand why using those words is not ok?

Yeah, I assumed that's what you meant.

You must have missed this part of my post (or ignored it, which wouldn't surprise me):

I'm not arguing that it's okay to use as an insult. Just like I would never argue that "retard" is okay to use as a way to describe someone with any form of handicap.

I don't believe it's possible to call someone "gay" with no malicious intent unless you are making an observation about their actual sexuality. [/b]This might be helpful - http://degreesearch.org/blog/when-its-okay-to-say-gay/

I saw your status and now I'm having a moment wondering if I'm a naive knob end who needs educating because I really don't care if people use the word "gay" out of laziness, as mentioned in that article. I used to use it like that and I can honestly say it had jack shit to do with sexuality, I used it like I would use the word "twat", it's just a word to me. And I'm bi, if that counts for anything.

Hmm, halp pls.

As I said countless times before, context in which a word is used is (and should be) more important than the word itself. What matters is the intent.

con·text

/ˈkäntekst/

Noun

The circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

The parts of something written or spoken that immediately precede and follow a word or passage and clarify its meaning.

So if I were to say ""That movie is so gay" is a stupid and offensive comment" would I be banned for using the word 'gay'? If we go by Alex's ban then yes I would be because clearly context doesn't matter.

As I said countless times before, context in which a word is used is (and should be) more important than the word itself. What matters is the intent.

A thread where Fabri is making the most sense. Well gosh darn, now I've seen it all!

A thread where Fabri is making the most sense. Well gosh darn, now I've seen it all!

:$ sorry

I saw your status and now I'm having a moment wondering if I'm a naive knob end who needs educating because I really don't care if people use the word "gay" out of laziness, as mentioned in that article. I used to use it like that and I can honestly say it had jack shit to do with sexuality, I used it like I would use the word "twat", it's just a word to me. And I'm bi, if that counts for anything.

Hmm, halp pls.

You might not care, but the majority of people within the LBGT+ spectrum do. I'm bi, like you, but people in "straight" relationships are far less likely to be abused with that word than people in same sex ones. As a personal example, my brother came out when he was in his mid 20s. He, unbeknownst to me, was bullied at school and called "gay" and "faggot" because he was not into sports, and liked reading and studying and had more female friends than male ones. He's not really very camp, so those words were flung at him not necessarily knowing he was gay. He didn't come out for years because of it, because these bullies told him basically that gay was undesirable, unacceptable. He hates hearing things like "oh my phone won't send texts it's being gay" because of his experiences.

This is just a personal one, because it's obviously one I am close to, but I know of similar experiences. I know it's not always easier on the women, my married female housemates are looking for a holiday at the moment and they have to pick countries where they won't be abused for being same sex, but as bi femmes we do get it a little easier.

The context in the case of this user was judged to be used as offense. This was a mod team decision, some people obviously disagree with it, but others don't. The decision was made, and that's that. If the person hadn't had such a history of bad behaviour we might have taken another route, but there's really nothing more I, or any other mod team members can say about it.

fact of the matter: if you were in a pub, in polite, public company, and you were using racial slurs or 'gay'-as-a-pejorative, saying 'retard' or calling a mate who's shit at pool a 'woman' or calling your friend a 'stupid ugly wonky-eyed bitch' even jokingly (that last one might be a personal trigger lmao lmao), people around you hearing that would be offended, and the landlord would kick your ass out. You might be with your mates on this board and 'only joking', but you're with your mates in a public setting. So wind your neck in

fact of the matter: if you were in a pub, in polite, public company, and you were using racial slurs or 'gay'-as-a-pejorative, saying 'retard' or calling a mate who's shit at pool a 'woman' or calling your friend a 'stupid ugly wonky-eyed bitch' even jokingly (that last one might be a personal trigger lmao lmao), people around you hearing that would be offended, and the landlord would kick your ass out. You might be with your mates on this board and 'only joking', but you're with your mates in a public setting. So wind your neck in

Silly example/comparison, really.

edit: and totally off the point too

Forgive me waltzing in late here but there is categorically no argument about this.

'Gay' means homosexual.

To use it derogatively is offensive to homosexuals.

If that is difficult to comprehend then you are irrefutably an imbecile.

Gemsy listed perfectly watertight parallels. Would you call somebody slow to learn 'a woman'? Would you call somebody servile 'black'? If so, would you think either women or black people would appreciate that?

If you do, you are a moron, and you can't be worked on any further.

This sort of shit is not owed a platform for discussion because there is no discussion. Now fuck off

Now, I've never been to a pub, but from general experience in public places, especially ones where alcohol is involved, that's where I've seen those kinds of words used the most.

Silly example/comparison, really.

edit: and totally off the point too

nope