Dear Niall

Neil.

Yo Niall. I suggest that when people get banned, the reason for their latest infraction should be shown instead of/along with the reason "points adding up". It's quite pointless since I still don't know what got me banned(even though in this case it was possibly fairly obvious)

Hmm, normally an email gets sent too that contains that information. The problem is that the ban is just the result of points adding up and some users already think that a ban for this equates to a ban for the thing they were last infracted for and complain when it seems like we banned them for something which was only worth one point. I shall look into it though.

Nope, no email. I never get emails for PMs though, does that setting need to be turned on?

I don't think those emails go via PMs but I might be mistaken. I'll ban the test account later and see.

Maybe just have it say that "You were banned for the following reason: Points adding up.

Last infraction: xxxxxxx"

The form for the band reason is a single line one - it's only meant to be a few words. And the problem with that is it usually takes more than a line to explain why the infraction was issued. The infraction class might be possible, e.g. "Provocative posting", "Posting a leak" etc.

Ah, yes. It appears an email is only sent directly to the user in PMs are turned off on the whole board. It doesn't look like the option to do both exists. And therefore if PM notification emails are turned off no email regarding the infraction will be send.

It's annoying that vbulletin doesn't allow users the ability to at least read their PMs when banned either. Doesn't seem like the optimal solution.

I agree, this is a bit of a problem as temp banned users probably won't know what they did wrong until the ban expires which isn't ideal at all, especially if they wish to contest the infraction.

I will definitely give this a more thorough look at.

Ah, yes. It appears an email is only sent directly to the user in PMs are turned off on the whole board. It doesn't look like the option to do both exists. And therefore if PM notification emails are turned off no email regarding the infraction will be send.

It's annoying that vbulletin doesn't allow users the ability to at least read their PMs when banned either. Doesn't seem like the optimal solution.

I agree, this is a bit of a problem as temp banned users probably won't know what they did wrong until the ban expires which isn't ideal at all, especially if they wish to contest the infraction.

I will definitely give this a more thorough look at.

Would it be possible to create an entire new user group with user privileges restricted to using the PM system and perhaps accessing this forum in order to possibly discuss the ban? Banned people could just be moved into that group.

Would it be possible to create an entire new user group with user privileges restricted to using the PM system and perhaps accessing this forum in order to possibly discuss the ban? Banned people could just be moved into that group.

Not - banning by default puts people into the banned usergroup. But we don't want to do that anyway. People who are banned should not be able to send PMs and use the PM system in general, and infractions are to be discussed privately.

Not - banning by default puts people into the banned usergroup. But we don't want to do that anyway. People who are banned should not be able to send PMs and use the PM system in general, and infractions are to be discussed privately.

But you never respond to e-mails anyway.

But they're not.

You keep giving this bullshit about how my reference to past infractions should have been "dealt with at the time" but my inquiries never got any reply from any member of the mod team.

I always sent e-mails to the mod e-mail account and only ever got a response once and was told that "I should have been perma-banned".

EDIT: FUCK YOU!

But they're not.

You keep giving this bullshit about how my reference to past infractions should have been "dealt with at the time" but my inquiries never got any reply from any member of the mod team.

I always sent e-mails to the mod e-mail account and only ever got a response once and was told that "I should have been perma-banned".

EDIT: FUK YU SWEDEN!

I don't know why Sweden's being attacked all of a sudden, but I approve.

You have previously sent PMs to mods who have issued infractions and not received replies?

I don't read the board emails, Blee does. I will ask her about whether she has missed replying to any next time she's about.

Archived