james90

7 string sales are about to go mad in k&t

I really wouldn't be surprised! I timed mine pretty well! :LOL:

I would think about buying one but they're all metal styled. I don't like metal styled guitars.

Mine's metal covered if that counts? :facepalm:

doesn't the 7 string have a preamp of some sort?

also

IMG_1666.jpg

having tried it out for a while, it doesn't sound bad at all. a bit fizzy when distorted, but maybe i can fix that with new caps n shit.

a bit expensive at $300 though...and unfortunately i don't have the hair to sound like brian may...

• 2 weeks later...

nah was just being hipster. So far it's very impressive. I need to sit down later after work and go through things like my midi mappings etc, but so far, I'm very impressed. I'm going to pick up a little 20 euro wireless keyboard in work too, just for convenience. Had a go of the Kaoss Quad while i was in the shop. They're not that bad really. I could see myself considering one in the future.

Meet my children:

2012-10-13172327.jpg

From Left to right:

Fender Jaguar (2002 Japan)

Bought for a steal, nothing to add to it, likely to sell to fund a scratch build tele

Mods:

-Mustang Bridge

-Chrome knobs

-Schaller Strap locks

Fender Telecaster (Blacktop)

Lovely lovely neck, Crap hardware from factory. Will be adding a graphtech nut and saddles and will be switching the control plate back the right way (Really annoying, there is a small notch at the bottom of the cavity preventing me from doing this)

Mods:

- Gotoh tuners 510's

- Graphtech string tree

- Gotoh Bridge w/ roller saddles

- Black knobs

- Pearloid Scratchplate

Squier Telecaster (Custom)

First ever guitar, love it to bits. It's been customised so many times hardly anything original remains. The Irongear pickups are fucking FANTASTIC. Would recommend for any modders unless the guitar is worth over 500 quid. Will be refinished properly

Mods:

- Black machine heads

- Graphtech string tree

- Iron Gear Pickups, Alchemist P90 Neck, Hot Slag Bridge

- Chrome knobs

- Schaller strap locks

- Complete rewire using CTS pots, Straight silver switch, New Caps, the works

- Silver carbon fibre top finish

Epiphone Dot (Studio LE)

Was going to mod this to fuck. Absolutely no need

Mods:

- Schaller strap locks

- Chrome knobs

dat jag looks cool, are they actually good sounding guitars? i have never heard one irl

btw what about the IronGear PUs? I have two of their humbuckers (RollingMill, DirtyTorque) and i am thinking about getting more.

The jag is lovely, but to sum up, High maintenance. The bridge problem is well known.

What i've found though is that with the shorter scale you can use heavier strings, and the heavier strings the better the stability of the bridge.

Also, It ain't a heavy metal guitar and it never will be. As long as it's used for the right reasons they are a lovely lovely instrument and the clean sounds and slightly dirty sounds you can get are many and good.

As for the Iron Gear pups I really can't stress enough how good they are. Not just for the price either. They are perfect for modding a less expensive guitar, think Squier, Epiphone, Mexican Fender. I'd love to hear the comparison between a Nailbomb and the Hot slag on through the same set up just to see if you can hear the difference in price

Meet my children:

Nice

What about replacing the bridge with a tune o matic? I'm guessing it's not exactly an easy modification, but it looks like it can be done

0143000700_frt_wmd_001.png

been tempted by one of those, but I've never got along with short scale too well for some reason

The tune o matic is an option, but the radius is different compared to the jag fretboard. I've replaced mine with a mustang bridge which is infinitely better than stock. I've found that with the thicker strings make it pretty much spot on.