james90

Hey, I have a MIJ Strat from 1990.

EDIT SNIP: Just checked, it is a 1962 re-issue and it is amazing. I would actually run into a burning building to retrieve it. Better call it Lucille..

It is red as well. Am I in the club too?

Any pictures?

I've got two '62 reissues... MIJ 1992 in sunburst, and CIJ late 90's (not sure of the exact year) in fiesta red.

I think they're basically the same with the exception of the finish (nitro finish on the MIJ) and pickups (the CIJ has custom shop texas specials, and the MIJ has "USA made" Fender pickups of some sort)

I've been wanting to try out one of those early 80's JV Fenders to see what the hype is about...

This is my strat. Apart from the GK I stuck on temporarily because my spare guitar is down, it's entirely un-modded.

You can just about make out the cracks in the finish, not sure what caused it.

Looks great. What did you say before about the 1950's tooling? I can't find the post

Same :facepalm:

JT, pics? Any more vintage you haven't told us about? :ninja:

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=60687

Also, that's awesome. Love that amp and the story behind it :awesome:

Yeah

Has anyone else got gear with a story behind it?

I haven't really got anything like that. Both guitars with the most sentimental value got destroyed (the infamous "clawed by a tiger" les paul, and this SG I bought when I was 14 which I had saved over a year for)

The amp is still floating around somewhere... it was this mesa head I got when I was 15 (my first good amp), but I sort of grew tired of that sound...sold it in 2011.

....only to buy the combo version at GC last month :facepalm:

otherwise, the only guitars with a bit of history are the rust relic and these two guitars which Tim Wheeler once owned.

Oh and D3adstar:

IMG_1925_zpsc638ac0b.jpg

The big space in the bottom left is for the amp footswitch (once I actually buy it...)

The orange footswitch and A/B box might go, depending on how I have the final (?!) setup.

and yes, that's a 2007 wintaeg macbook pro. Thinking of replacing it because of age alone, but my tower is giving me loads of trouble....not going to waste money replacing both when I could be buying some gear.

mfc.jpg

Yeah

Has anyone else got gear with a story behind it?

I haven't really got anything like that. Both guitars with the most sentimental value got destroyed (the infamous "clawed by a tiger" les paul, and this SG I bought when I was 14 which I had saved over a year for)

The amp is still floating around somewhere... it was this mesa head I got when I was 15 (my first good amp), but I sort of grew tired of that sound...sold it in 2011.

....only to buy the combo version at GC last month :facepalm:

otherwise, the only guitars with a bit of history are the rust relic and these two guitars which Tim Wheeler once owned.

Oh and D3adstar:

IMG_1925_zpsc638ac0b.jpg

The big space in the bottom left is for the amp footswitch (once I actually buy it...)

The orange footswitch and A/B box might go, depending on how I have the final (?!) setup.

and yes, that's a 2007 wintaeg macbook pro. Thinking of replacing it because of age alone, but my tower is giving me loads of trouble....not going to waste money replacing both when I could be buying some gear.

mfc.jpg

Pedals :awesome: Looks awesome :D and im getting fed up of windows so going to hopefully get a macbook later this year, if I can hold onto my money....

Re: MIJ strats. The story I was told, is that Fender wanted to stamp out far east strat copies by making their own (squire). They contacted the two best guitar makers in Japan, namely Tokai and Fuji gen gakki who built the Roland guitars etc. I don't know how the details worked out but Tokai ended up with the contract to build th guitars and were given the plans and tooling from Fullerton.

They later had a falling out and production was moved to Fuji gen gakki. However, Tokai retained the rights to the original production, which is why fender were unable to produce its own reissue guitars without a licence. I believe they bought the rights back sometime in the early 2000 and thus ensued a raft of strat reissues.

Please bear in mind that I have no idea how much of that is true, and must research it at some point.

They are great guitars either way. MIJ are marginally better than CIJ, but both are better than contemporary USA models. I'm not sure I believe that's why prouduction was. Annex, though they did affect sales where both were available. I think its more to do with the strength of the yen.

I got given a bassballs from one of the front men (Mervyn) of Wishbone Ash. He reckons it's been on the same stage as Metallica when they were playing together.

Pffft. I can top that. My Roland G202 used to belong to Andrew Ridgeley from Wham.

And my VG8 was Paul Carrack's.

I saw my guitar whilst I was in Toronto, only for it to be shipped into the UK 2 months later by the shop I bought it in over here. That was surreal.

It currently plays like shit, but I wont part with it as I feel like it was meant to be. :LOL:

Re: MIJ strats. The story I was told, is that Fender wanted to stamp out far east strat copies by making their own (squire). They contacted the two best guitar makers in Japan, namely Tokai and Fuji gen gakki who built the Roland guitars etc. I don't know how the details worked out but Tokai ended up with the contract to build th guitars and were given the plans and tooling from Fullerton.

They later had a falling out and production was moved to Fuji gen gakki. However, Tokai retained the rights to the original production, which is why fender were unable to produce its own reissue guitars without a licence. I believe they bought the rights back sometime in the early 2000 and thus ensued a raft of strat reissues.

Please bear in mind that I have no idea how much of that is true, and must research it at some point.

They are great guitars either way. MIJ are marginally better than CIJ, but both are better than contemporary USA models. I'm not sure I believe that's why prouduction was. Annex, though they did affect sales where both were available. I think its more to do with the strength of the yen.

Very interesting. How come MIJ is better than CIJ? Different factories or...?

I have two '62 reissues from the 90's (CIJ and MIJ) as I said. Only differences are the pickups and finish type, but otherwise, they're pretty much identical as far as I can tell.

I've also got that E series MIJ strat (which was basically the standard model from the 80's). Specs aren't as nice as the '62 reissues, but it was cheap, and is a fairly nice guitar.

I once bought a pedal that was used by multiple guitar center customers.

I'm sure my jazzmaster was molested by plenty of GC customers before I bought it :awesome::twitchy:

speaking of which, last time I was there... I actually felt embarrassed for the person who was "playing" in the background. Sure, I was probably like that at one point, but I didn't do it in public!

Also, here's one of the two guitars I mentioned yesterday. you can see it at various points in this video.

:facemelt: Not sure how many of you are familiar with them, but I know Bs is.

I'll get a picture of it later. I've also got the case which has various ID stickers and stuff