Who likes Escape from the first album? I absolutely love it, especially the live version from Bizarre '99

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ah15AKIIMfw

I was reading through musewiki (as you do :p) and stumbled across the possible interpretations of this song:

1. About a man who is questioning himself about his actions to his loved one which may caused her to leave him and bring depression to the man. In the end, he now believes his life is meaningless and insignificance and there's no one that can change his view on it. He then now chooses to Escape his life by killing himself.

2. Possibly a song about the divorce of Bellamy's parents. The line "Why can't you just love her?" could be Bellamy begging his dad to stay with his mom. "But I'll still take all the blame" could be a reference to how children feel it is their fault when their parents get divorced.

Does anyone else agree with any of these? Or do you have you own interpretation?

To me, this is probably the most raw, emotional performance I've ever seen, and on another note, after going through some of their older EP's & B-sides, I'm beginning to see how different it is to their new BHAR stuff - which I now understand why some weren't too happy with BHAR :LOL:

Thoughts?

so was i! that performance was just...i don't know what to say.

i loved escape when i first heard showbiz - it really stood out to me...i kind of thought as i was listening to it "that sounds like a kid talking about his parents getting divorced" and then i found out the musewiki and read about the interpretations there...the second one makes more sense to me :)

still love that song :D

I LOVE Escape. I used to watch that video you posted just about every day. I haven't watched it in ages, though, so thanks for reminding me of its awesomeness. I forgot how much I love that performance. I, like a couple others, admit it, though: That one almost had me in tears. :$

I had Escape playing in the car the other day, and my mom said Matt sounded like he was dying... :unsure: I don't think she meant the emotion, though. She just doesn't like Muse. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

well when i first heard escape i immediately thought of a guy singing about his parent's divorce, 'specially in the lines "why can't you just love her? why be such a monster?" i think it was directed at his father...for me at the moment that song is really relevant :$

but yeah that is just my interpretation. if you have been in a relationship as carrotie said you will understand the song, or if you have split parents, you will understand it...

it's all about interpretation :)

well when i first heard escape i immediately thought of a guy singing about his parent's divorce, 'specially in the lines "why can't you just love her? why be such a monster?" i think it was directed at his father...for me at the moment that song is really relevant :$

but yeah that is just my interpretation. if you have been in a relationship as carrotie said you will understand the song, or if you have split parents, you will understand it...

it's all about interpretation :)

I agree with that :) He is definately directed at someone for not treating someone the way they should.. wether it be his father, himself or somebody else it's definately about the rocky path of relationships. The whole album is about Teenage Angst so it would make sense if this was about his parent's divorce

If you read the interpretations thread or it may even be in it's own topic there's a discussion of this and the theory that it is about his father.

EDIT: There we go, merged. There's also a load of explanations on musewiki

Archived